Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Makeshift Python »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:34 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:30 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 am If that's the sort of language you resort to towards people you disagree with you're the one who needs to get over it.
They're just words, you prude.

But seriously, that language also serves a purpose: To show my utter disrespect towards people I don't like and have no interest in getting along with. Like how Crimson or Dragon Ball Fan tries to discuss with me, and I just tell them to fuck off or whatever. I used to do that with Slash Gallagher in this forum before he disappeared into oblivion.
Yes but if you have to resort to cursing to defend your point, do you have a good stance to begin with?
The cursing isn't really there to defend my point. In fact, I very much explained the purpose of the cursing right on the very post you quoted above.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As for, "Why change it?"

I dunno, to do something different?

How does Superman: The Story get changed if he's raised by black Americans or black himself? There's already a Animated Superman movie where Superman is raised by migrant farmers instead of farm owners and the result is that he grows up with a massive chip on his shoulder--because he passes for Mexican American too in this universe.

Edit:

Justice League: Gods and Monsters
Makeshift Python
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:37 pm As for, "Why change it?"

After 80 years, God forbid we change Superman's skin color.

Whining about the changing of Superman's skin color makes you look like dorks such as Ben Shapiro, who bitches about rap songs like "WAP" and Harry Styles wearing dresses. Like, who fucking cares???
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Whining about the changing of Superman's skin color makes you look like dorks such as Ben Shapiro, who bitches about rap songs like "WAP" and Harry Styles wearing dresses.
I've read stories where Spider-Man has accidentally killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spooge.

Nothing wrong with playing around with archetypes.

Or seeing how characters are changed in different circumstances.
Makeshift Python
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:43 pmI've read stories where Spider-Man has accidentally killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spooge.

Nothing wrong with playing around with archetypes.

Or seeing how characters are changed in different circumstances.
It's almost as if these are fictional characters that we strive to tell stories about...
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:43 pm I've read stories where Spider-Man has accidentally killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spooge.
So was this actually published or was it on fanfiction.net?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:49 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:43 pm I've read stories where Spider-Man has accidentally killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spooge.
So was this actually published or was it on fanfiction.net?
Unfortunately, all too real. So was Norman Osbourne impregnating Gwen Stacy. The Clone Saga. One More Day.

There's a reason I only read past Spider-Man comics and the new Spencer series now.

Edit:

And if you don't believe me...

https://www.wired.com/2007/02/spidermans-radi/
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Whining about the changing of Superman's skin color makes you look like dorks such as Ben Shapiro, who bitches about rap songs like "WAP" and Harry Styles wearing dresses. Like, who fucking cares???
But those incidents brought the world the great comedic gifts of him outright boasting that his gynecologist wife had told him that it was perfectly normal that he had never once gotten her wet and very carefully explaining a strict definition of masculinity that he doesn't qualify under!

Honestly I would not at all be surprised if Ben's doing some kind of performance piece. He's way to on the nose as a parody of a conservative to be a real conservative.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Makeshift Python
Captain

It would be a hell of a performance art, especially if his voice was an affectation all along. But I think people like him are that genuinely stupid, especially those who are trying to be a voice of generation.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I don't get why it's so hard to understand the viewpoint here for what I'd said.

I'm not criticizing RO as a film, so much as the malice of the management, how they made it.

In 2014, they threw out the EU. The tone-deaf sneers from casuals and non-EU fans amounts to "it was never canon" or "we didn't take away your books!" and too many EU fans I knew around that time were getting dumped on because it was difficult for them to get excited about the upcoming movies. I mean, Matt Wilkins' largely harmless movement to get more SWL made, alongside the DSWC, through appealing to Del Rey directly got him labeled a hatemonger by some of these shill web pages. Certain Facebook pages even called the fans who put up that billboard terrorists.

LF said they wanted creativity for the new movies, and they said they wanted it to be a surprise, and there was also many claims like how Mr. Lucas had no oversight and that it had become too bloated. All of those are outright lies, except the very last one, which I only argue applies to the CW era of the timeline as a result of the 2008 TV show, as it oversaturated the CWT. When asked on their decision to throw out the EU that upset the fans, Ms. Kennedy never really talked about that, giving very political corporate type answers. Everyone knows about the infamous "no source material" line a month before DE landed. But there's also the fact the grand unified canon she spoke of was already here in the EU. And because she claimed they're trying something similar to the EU you only have to look at the NEU's sales to see their refusal to let Del Rey and Marvel carry off where they left it was a horrible mistake. It's contributing to decreasing sales, and the rumors from within the company halls is Marvel and Del Rey are none too happy about the decision, as they cut into their profit margins.

But, despite all that history, it doesn't address the identity politics, so let me sum it up. To the older fans or EU aficionados, RO is DF, and yet they toss away Kyle Katarn and uplifted Jan Ors to take over his story. Why don't you just make up your own version of stealing the Death Star plans? Why don't you make up your own new female lead for these stories? These are unnecessary retcons that make it very uncomfortable to keep older fans afloat, not for new female leads, but that it's so little new and also goes against their own words while crafting the DSWC and it's pointless. You may say that EU fans are so small as to be a non-factor, but the smug condescension and dismissal was there prior to '17. So on the one hand, you got the EU fans who may have one day wanted a live-action adaptation, seeing all these retcons, and then when you criticize LF, they call you bigots. To me, Jyn Erso is stale. Standing in the shadow of a far superior story that brings too little fresh to the table to justify the loss of the EU and the lack of respect to fans. Think that makes me sexist? When my favorite Mandalorian is a female character?

You want new female leads, don't butcher lore to do so, or at least let your far superior business partners keep telling SWL tales. But since creatively ripping off the lore is embedded into the DNA of the DSW's management, there's no way they will ever stop, and so there's no way Del Rey and Marvel will be allowed to continue where they'd left off in 2014... even though it'd be all original stories and not rehashes. Retconning the EU with identity politics and dumber stories is all that's keeping LF from falling under. I don't think that's going to hold when the next reboot finally arrives. Attacking the EU's canon status feels like it was rationalization to continue to steal from lore, and make it more diverse, that's steeped into the mindset of LF top dogs. Diversity makes it better! The official canon is gonna be so diverse, you won't believe it! So basically LF writes off fans in the same way you can imagine Mr. 45 may speak. You don't think that's an issue?