Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I read the EU from HEIR TO THE EMPIRE to THE CRUCIBLE.

Which was the part that had to be saved for future generations?

The Crystal Star or Luke Skywalker falling in love with a ghost wearing the corpse of his ex-student who had a sexaroid?

What about the Sith conquering the Sith or making peace with the Space Nazis so they can take over the galaxy again in 100 years?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:12 am I read the EU from HEIR TO THE EMPIRE to THE CRUCIBLE.

Which was the part that had to be saved for future generations?

The Crystal Star or Luke Skywalker falling in love with a ghost wearing the corpse of his ex-student who had a sexaroid?

What about the Sith conquering the Sith or making peace with the Space Nazis so they can take over the galaxy again in 100 years?
Oh don't retort with the "I've read parts of the EU, makes me an expert, so I have the authority to say chopping it up for parts is a good idea, follow Disney's lead!"

One. Thrawn is becoming overexposed and even Mr. Zahn himself has dropped the ball. Same thing happened with Revan.

Second. You bring up TCS even though I've done so myself. Ironic you say that when TLJ is basically just TCS, The Movie. Unless you prefer it because it looks "pretty" or something. :lol: Which TBF, most don't care because it's running over printed books and comics and TV shows and movies attract higher numbers of brain-drooling audiences. I think the only reason it gets so much fervent defense is the shifted mediums, that's all. Entirely revealing as to how shallow most consumers are. But that LF was looking to "recanonize" JP and TCS invalidates your own claims about the DSWC. Hardly the top-tier material, as you noted.

I'll tell you what we've lost. Jedi Apprentice. Jedi Quest. Young Jedi Knights. Junior Jedi Knights. Darth Bane Trilogy. The KOTOR games and comics. Cloak of Deception, Dark Lord Trilogy. X-wing. Star Wars Republic. Tales of the Jedi. The Truce at Bakura. Republic Commando. Star Wars Jedi comics. Shadows of the Empire comics and books. The game. The Clone Wars Microseries.

I could go on and on. So the point you're inferring, "EU was 90% garbage, get over it!" as I've heard from too many casuals (yes, I'll peg you an EU casual if you haven't read 50% of it), doesn't hold up to scrutiny based on what Disney LF brought to the big screen. And there's always the counterargument here. In a way, it proves why you could never adapt it to the big screen, which I understand. But the reverse is true - you could have done so given the general reactions from lots of fans, who just went into overjoyed freak-out mode when they saw the Palpatine trailer. Trash articles insist that means DE was better of being thrown out, but the fan reaction implies otherwise. I, however, support the former policy, because it would have been T Canon on steroids. This at least preserves the timeline from further retcons and continuity breakdowns.

It's not as if they came to take them away, but frankly, I'm getting fed up with this viewpoint in treating the EU and the DSWC as interchangeable. It's perhaps tied into the myths that the EU had no continuity, which is also bogus. Treating them that way could easily lead to dumber stories where they try and merge the two, and I am opposed to that. The EU die-hards have every reason to feel upset about the interchangeable approach as it also robs the DSW of any kind of creativity. This hurts both segments of fandom. Even the PT were more creative and the supplementary material enhanced them rather than explained them.

Whatever else you may want to say about him, Mr. Lucas outdid the Disney LF in terms of ancillary sales. And that's no surprise since jettisoning the EU landed primarily on Del Rey and Dark Horse's doors. Whatever else you may want to think about him, Mr. Lucas had no issues in letting the fans and his business partners continue to contribute to his mythos, under the certain guidelines he had set up. It's not even an issue of preservation as the stubborn refusal to let Del Rey and now Marvel, since Dark Horse is gone, continue telling fresh SWL stories the fans ask for. It's not impossible. Readers and the old loyalist hold-outs don't care about the NEU, just look at the decreasing sales to see what I mean here. I think perhaps it might be jealousy because they don't want them outperforming them and a smidgeon of narcissism, thinking it's so much better since they came in to put it on the silver screen, and it's far more diluted in the process.

What would have been a smart move is keep the movie and TV production in-house at LF, and just let Del Rey and Marvel continue to do their own thing within the new guidelines. They were always going to kick out Dark House, we all see that a mile coming, but the EU could have survived as an alternate production line to keep the older fans afloat. And that's where you get so much of the criticism. Most of the old guard is gone and it's a totally unnecessary upending into the new order. #DontThinkJustConsume

I'll finish with one observation. KOTOR can't exist in the DSWC. Not only due to butchered timeline issues, but that the management team isn't competent enough to recapture it, and it's gonna be a further watering down into a second-generation rehash, which will yield diminished returns at some point. The closest they will ever come is a remaster, and I don't think that's gonna happen. But who knows.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm Why are you getting so hung up on race? It's not that important. We're all just people.
Why am I?!
Yes. You started this thread about the race of character's cast. You're trying to probe motives and reading agendas into the races of characters. You are pretty hung up on race.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Tyrteg started this thread unless you mean the whole Superman casted as black discussion. Then, tecnically Makeshift Python started that but more as a throwaway example then I continued it for two posts then it got picked up Phipps I think, then Riedquat. Though I could be wrong.
For the record I regret butting into that by the way, seems like it derailed the discussion a bit. I do not think Disney is completely ditching woke politics if this thread's title even matters anymore.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

We need more aliens.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:02 am We need more aliens.
Agreed. In fact I'll do you one better. we need more quadruped aliens.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Beelzquill wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:53 am Tyrteg started this thread unless you mean the whole Superman casted as black discussion. Then, tecnically Makeshift Python started that but more as a throwaway example then I continued it for two posts then it got picked up Phipps I think, then Riedquat. Though I could be wrong.
For the record I regret butting into that by the way, seems like it derailed the discussion a bit. I do not think Disney is completely ditching woke politics if this thread's title even matters anymore.
Tyrteg is listening to YouTubers with a hate agenda to merchandise off TLJ, when come on, that was three years ago, and are spreading lies in the process. It's why I don't trust Overlord DVD at all.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

ROGUE ONE was the only Star Wars movie I ever found myself constantly checking my watch. I've never felt so apathetic, not even towards the very flawed prequels. That said, the EU, old and new, sounded just as boring.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:58 am ROGUE ONE was the only Star Wars movie I ever found myself constantly checking my watch. I've never felt so apathetic, not even towards the very flawed prequels. That said, the EU, old and new, sounded just as boring.
An entirely fair viewpoint as a matter of personal preference. 8-)

That said, one can't help but laugh at something like Ms. Kennedy's statements, that they're going to "protect and preserve these characters," and then any criticism in the next five years is labeled as bigotry. That's the thing. She's just very bad at her job. She's a liar, and not even in the slick corporate way, in the "WTF are you doing?!" kinda way.

While fans do have a hard time accepting change, I've noticed that it's more unnecessary retcons. It's why I don't mind if you want all PC minorities everywhere, female-driven show, and LGBT up the wazoo. TBH, that could be potentially interesting. I just feel like, why do you have to do so with these classic characters? I get that it's about branding reasons, but frankly, it's cheap. In some cases, I can't help but wonder if it's deliberately engineered to incite division as that's good for PR and the SJW agenda.

They just don't have any faith in their own new creators who have a bit of imagination and passion.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm Why are you getting so hung up on race? It's not that important. We're all just people.
Why am I?!
Yes. You started this thread about the race of character's cast. You're trying to probe motives and reading agendas into the races of characters. You are pretty hung up on race.
I started the thread?

The questions about motives are completely pertinent to the thread. You're incredibly naive if you're dismissing the out of hand and having a go at others for raising them.

Race doesn't bother me. Political motivations do. Do you understand the difference?