Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Captain Crimson »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:07 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm Why are you getting so hung up on race? It's not that important. We're all just people.
Why am I?!
Yes. You started this thread about the race of character's cast. You're trying to probe motives and reading agendas into the races of characters. You are pretty hung up on race.
I started the thread?

The questions about motives are completely pertinent to the thread. You're incredibly naive if you're dismissing the out of hand and having a go at others for raising them.

Race doesn't bother me. Political motivations do. Do you understand the difference?
It's where I fall as well, yet to the radical left SJWs, they want you focusing on nothing but skin color. There's a difference between acknowledging sins of the past and the issues of disenfranchised communities over bestowing them special privilege status. Such as making excuses for BLM riots or ignoring that lots of black people hate them. Two wrongs never make a right.

Since this is a SW thread, look how many accused the PT of being racist, and yet when you remove a terrestrial context from them, that argument is flimsy. I'd daresay the critics were the racist ones, not Mr. Lucas.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Captain Crimson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:22 pm=
It's where I fall as well, yet to the radical left SJWs, they want you focusing on nothing but skin color. There's a difference between acknowledging sins of the past and the issues of disenfranchised communities over bestowing them special privilege status. Such as making excuses for BLM riots or ignoring that lots of black people hate them. Two wrongs never make a right.

Since this is a SW thread, look how many accused the PT of being racist, and yet when you remove a terrestrial context from them, that argument is flimsy. I'd daresay the critics were the racist ones, not Mr. Lucas.
It's funny how there's all these armies of race obsessed caricature liberals but whenever these conversations happen, I see plenty of people calling them out but rarely are they ever anyone named. Because I think its arguing in bad faith. I have no doubt there's some obnoxious people out there who are that way but I feel it exists far more and far bigger a problem in the imagination of gamers who think someone is trying to take away their sucker at the dentist's.

Guy: "SOON, ALL THE BELMONTS WILL BE BLACK! SAMUS ARAN WILL BE TRANS!"

Me: "I don't think anyone is doing that but...why is this a big deal?"
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

In general conservatives are fond of conflating light criticism (eg “Watto has some unfortunate commonalities with anti-Semitic stereotypes and it’s worth thinking about that so we stop doing these things”) with unreasonable demands for retribution (“Star Wars is RACIST and George Lucas should never make movies again!!”)

One really happens, the other is something you MIGHT see twitter trolls and bad faith agitators saying at most, and you’d have to go looking for it.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:05 am
Yeah that’s silly.

Samus was always trans.
Captain Crimson
Captain

CmdrKing wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:18 am In general conservatives are fond of conflating light criticism (eg “Watto has some unfortunate commonalities with anti-Semitic stereotypes and it’s worth thinking about that so we stop doing these things”) with unreasonable demands for retribution (“Star Wars is RACIST and George Lucas should never make movies again!!”)

One really happens, the other is something you MIGHT see twitter trolls and bad faith agitators saying at most, and you’d have to go looking for it.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:05 am
Yeah that’s silly.

Samus was always trans.
I actually have no issues with, for example, Samus being bi due to that manga cover where she was lapping up the ladies, haha.

Though I do take issue when it's making Lando pansexual and acting like it was always that way. No, in the context of your new canon status, there's nothing that contradicts it, so it's fine, but it was never that way in the old lore. Stop acting like you invented this.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm Why are you getting so hung up on race? It's not that important. We're all just people.
Why am I?!
Yes. You started this thread about the race of character's cast. You're trying to probe motives and reading agendas into the races of characters. You are pretty hung up on race.
I started the thread?
Whoopsie daisy. That one's on me. Shouldn't have been too lazy to check the first page.
Race doesn't bother me. Political motivations do. Do you understand the difference?
I see somebody who sees anything that upsets the status quo as political and preserving said status quo as inherently apolitical.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:18 am
I actually have no issues with, for example, Samus being bi due to that manga cover where she was lapping up the ladies, haha.

Though I do take issue when it's making Lando pansexual and acting like it was always that way. No, in the context of your new canon status, there's nothing that contradicts it, so it's fine, but it was never that way in the old lore. Stop acting like you invented this.
Odd example honestly.
Like, i don’t know any bi or pan people who were there for that comment? Because if Lando was meant to be pan in Solo there’s not much on-screen evidence of it. His banter with Han is soooorta flirty if you squint, and he’s clearly in a relationship with L3, but L3 is such an overt fembot that doesn’t really mean much.

Meanwhile in Empire it’s painfully easy to read Lando’s behavior as “we had a really bad breakup but I wanna move past it”, and a lot of his character is filled in by Billy Dee. Who is basically playing him as “70s swinger of class and sophistication” (ie himself) and... well, those dudes’ sexuality was a conclusion they came to after thorough exploration of the matter, y’know?
And that’s setting aside that Williams is on record as being a pretty unconcerned with gender conformity.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:10 am
I see somebody who sees anything that upsets the status quo as political and preserving said status quo as inherently apolitical.
No, that's not it. Either of those can be pushed for political reasons and I've a dim opinion of both. I am, however, very much against change for the sake of change too.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

It's very subjective I know but I didn't feel it in any way contradicted Lando's character so I've no problem at all with how he was portrayed in Solo (I found Donald Glover's Lando to be the highlight of that film).
Captain Crimson
Captain

Riedquat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 pm
It's very subjective I know but I didn't feel it in any way contradicted Lando's character so I've no problem at all with how he was portrayed in Solo (I found Donald Glover's Lando to be the highlight of that film).
The old EU was overseen by Mr. Lucas himself, and while not the alpha canon (TV shows and movies), it was still the beta canon as he saw it as being no less SW, and Lando was never bi at all. This is rewriting the past, similar to how they threw out the other TV shows, E&D and the CW Microseries, even though going off Mr. Filoni's own words, the TV shows are part of the alpha canon.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 pm
The old EU was overseen by Mr. Lucas himself, and while not the alpha canon (TV shows and movies), it was still the beta canon as he saw it as being no less SW, and Lando was never bi at all. This is rewriting the past, similar to how they threw out the other TV shows, E&D and the CW Microseries, even though going off Mr. Filoni's own words, the TV shows are part of the alpha canon.
I mean it was only overseen by Lucas in the looses possible sense. It basically amounted to him sending a list of things that EU writers could not do and then otherwise ignoring it all.