Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Captain Crimson »

Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:18 am
Though I do take issue when it's making Lando pansexual and acting like it was always that way. No, in the context of your new canon status, there's nothing that contradicts it, so it's fine, but it was never that way in the old lore. Stop acting like you invented this.
It's very subjective I know but I didn't feel it in any way contradicted Lando's character so I've no problem at all with how he was portrayed in Solo (I found Donald Glover's Lando to be the highlight of that film).
The old EU was overseen by Mr. Lucas himself, and while not the alpha canon (TV shows and movies), it was still the beta canon as he saw it as being no less SW, and Lando was never bi at all. This is rewriting the past, similar to how they threw out the other TV shows, E&D and the CW Microseries, even though going off Mr. Filoni's own words, the TV shows are part of the alpha canon.
I mean it was only overseen by Lucas in the looses possible sense. It basically amounted to him sending a list of things that EU writers could not do and then otherwise ignoring it all.
You can totally put Chewie and Anakin's death on him during the NJO planning session.

My point remains, he never saw it as any less SW especially when he was praising the few EU content he did check out, or put into his own movies. Had Abbadon became Coruscant, for example. That LF is rewriting the past to act like they owned it or that it's more PC. It's arrogance. I mean, if the EU truly is non-canon to them, then why are they stealing so much of it to put into their new movies? Past being a creative crutch, I mean. :lol:

And in the old source material they're grifting off, Lando was never bi. As I said, in the context of the DSCW, where it's only G Canon and TCW, you could buy it. The old lore they're creatively ripping off? Not a chance.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:18 am
Though I do take issue when it's making Lando pansexual and acting like it was always that way. No, in the context of your new canon status, there's nothing that contradicts it, so it's fine, but it was never that way in the old lore. Stop acting like you invented this.
It's very subjective I know but I didn't feel it in any way contradicted Lando's character so I've no problem at all with how he was portrayed in Solo (I found Donald Glover's Lando to be the highlight of that film).
The old EU was overseen by Mr. Lucas himself, and while not the alpha canon (TV shows and movies), it was still the beta canon as he saw it as being no less SW, and Lando was never bi at all. This is rewriting the past, similar to how they threw out the other TV shows, E&D and the CW Microseries, even though going off Mr. Filoni's own words, the TV shows are part of the alpha canon.
The problem there is nothing in the film Solo shows him flirting with anyone but his female droid companion.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Captain Crimson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:26 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:58 am ROGUE ONE was the only Star Wars movie I ever found myself constantly checking my watch. I've never felt so apathetic, not even towards the very flawed prequels. That said, the EU, old and new, sounded just as boring.
An entirely fair viewpoint as a matter of personal preference. 8-)

That said, one can't help but laugh at something like Ms. Kennedy's statements, that they're going to "protect and preserve these characters," and then any criticism in the next five years is labeled as bigotry. That's the thing. She's just very bad at her job. She's a liar, and not even in the slick corporate way, in the "WTF are you doing?!" kinda way.

While fans do have a hard time accepting change, I've noticed that it's more unnecessary retcons. It's why I don't mind if you want all PC minorities everywhere, female-driven show, and LGBT up the wazoo. TBH, that could be potentially interesting. I just feel like, why do you have to do so with these classic characters? I get that it's about branding reasons, but frankly, it's cheap. In some cases, I can't help but wonder if it's deliberately engineered to incite division as that's good for PR and the SJW agenda.

They just don't have any faith in their own new creators who have a bit of imagination and passion.
Give me a fucking break. There WERE bigoted trolls being a bunch of loud mouths BEFORE the movies even came out. I still remember all those cracks about TFA featuring a black man as a stormtrooper. Just because the filmmakers actually address the bigoted trolls online doesn't mean they're actually lumping in the fans that were critical of the film.

So don't give me that shit about filmmakers lumping legitimate criticisms with the bigots because that's not what's going on and YOU KNOW IT. And I know why you and the likes of Doomcock/Nerdrotic/Midnight's Edge do that shit.
Captain Crimson
Captain

The problem with woke is one thing. It's all money and politics, money and politics, money and politics.

There are no more passionate storytellers who have the creative freedom they need. They don't care about lore or continuity or the story or art or the fans or anything else, just politics and money. I've said it over and over, there are no more dreamers left if your only basis was in judging modern corporate entertainment.

And if you don't line up the same way they do politically, you're a horrible person, we don't want your business. Even though Mr. Jordan was on point when he said "republicans buy sneakers."
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:09 am The problem with woke is one thing. It's all money and politics, money and politics, money and politics.

There are no more passionate storytellers who have the creative freedom they need. They don't care about lore or continuity or the story or art or the fans or anything else, just politics and money. I've said it over and over, there are no more dreamers left if your only basis was in judging modern corporate entertainment.

And if you don't line up the same way they do politically, you're a horrible person, we don't want your business. Even though Mr. Jordan was on point when he said "republicans buy sneakers."
There are movies that try to used their political agenda to protect themselves from criticism. Fembusters.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:09 am The problem with woke is one thing. It's all money and politics, money and politics, money and politics.

There are movies that try to used their political agenda to protect themselves from criticism. Fembusters.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Well, to me, fantasy is an escape, and I really don't want politics infesting this. I'd feel that just as strongly for, say, a work that humanizes the KKK, for example. I know they're just people like us all, and yet despite the favorable right-wing bent, just... no, please. Even as an allegory, it feels a bit thin, TBH.

It's also very hard to peg down what is a failure and what is not in today's pop culture climate, because people are going to watch movies they utterly despise. That's how Mr. Bay's TF movies make so much money back. And while it does make money off newcomers, children, casuals, foreign audiences, and a smattering of older fans, there are an equal number who dislike it, due to our splintering subcultures, and so at this stage, just because it's a financial success doesn't make it a literal success simply because it made a bunch of studio suits happy, and I highly suspect most of these watered down reimaginings have a shorter shelf than you may think.

I think in this instance "positive fandom" are the words from an echo chamber by modern Hollywood woke creators. I've met people aligned to all political spectrums in my SWL communities, and that's positive since our love for the story world unites us. I think "positive fandom" is a shield not to own the critical fans, same way "children's movie/show" is a shield to duck criticism on how offensive or stupid the final product is. Life is strife, and without that, you can never grow.

Hate-voting is increasing, hate-watching is increasing... I don't get where this all went wrong, but it seems in some way or form you can trace it back over the last two decades. And ironically, that's really where the #NotMyPresident phenomenon really picked up steam.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The issue of politics in media tends to be an issue of subtly. Fantasy is fair ground for allegory, and it's commonly not too hard to gather where the tones of a piece at least slant.

When you have IPs that are subject to more contractual writing, as is the broad structure of Disney's process, then I suppose it's problematic. And that reaches into how subtle the political message is as you now have to have more provision in order blend things more, which is a rubik's cube of a situation.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:25 pm The issue of politics in media tends to be an issue of subtly. Fantasy is fair ground for allegory, and it's commonly not too hard to gather where the tones of a piece at least slant.

When you have IPs that are subject to more contractual writing, as is the broad structure of Disney's process, then I suppose it's problematic. And that reaches into how subtle the political message is as you now have to have more provision in order blend things more, which is a rubik's cube of a situation.
Is it about subtlety, though? As Mr. Chuck has noted, ST has been rather heavy-handed before. Though those episodes weren't exactly remembered as the high mark, were they? So perhaps a bad example.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:29 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:25 pm The issue of politics in media tends to be an issue of subtly. Fantasy is fair ground for allegory, and it's commonly not too hard to gather where the tones of a piece at least slant.

Is it about subtlety, though? As Mr. Chuck has noted, ST has been rather heavy-handed before. Though those episodes weren't exactly remembered as the high mark, were they? So perhaps a bad example.
I think if you consider that politics fuses into everything by social consequent then it naturally shines a light on a lot of stuff. Fantasy is more historical based and then poeticizes the accountability among agents. Sci Fi is more about aggregates and interactive hypotheticals.
..What mirror universe?