Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:48 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pmYou are aware white people get shot as well, yes? Because it's wrong no matter who it is.
Whenever people say "All Lives Matter", my response is, "I agree. So let's deal with black people first so we can make a significant step to helping everyone."
When I look and say all lives matter. I do not mean that black lives do not. I worry that by focusing, one or both of two things will happen.
First is the token. Either as a response or as a blame. Examples: Florida school shooting, school response was students must now have clear backpacks. . . But the shooter wasn't a student and did not bring weapons in a student pack in the first place. It is a token 'we did something'. Second example, Is there is quite a bit of violence. It must be video games fault. Because it is new. And I have a study that references that opinion. And the opinion references the study. . .
The second concern is apathy. 'Whelp we found a fix for BLM. We can go back to Jeopardy.' People get tired of 'the movement' after a while. So if it is too narrowly focused it can peter out and larger problems can be ignored.

That is just my two cents on lives matter.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nealithi wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:41 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pmYou are aware white people get shot as well, yes? Because it's wrong no matter who it is.
Whenever people say "All Lives Matter", my response is, "I agree. So let's deal with black people first so we can make a significant step to helping everyone."
When I look and say all lives matter. I do not mean that black lives do not. I worry that by focusing, one or both of two things will happen.
First is the token. Either as a response or as a blame. Examples: Florida school shooting, school response was students must now have clear backpacks. . . But the shooter wasn't a student and did not bring weapons in a student pack in the first place. It is a token 'we did something'. Second example, Is there is quite a bit of violence. It must be video games fault. Because it is new. And I have a study that references that opinion. And the opinion references the study. . .
The second concern is apathy. 'Whelp we found a fix for BLM. We can go back to Jeopardy.' People get tired of 'the movement' after a while. So if it is too narrowly focused it can peter out and larger problems can be ignored.

Wait you are worry that people will get tired of a movement so you want to make it spread out as possible so people will get tire of it quicker?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I actually think that it might be these type of bandaid circumstances that lead to more coarse waves from the tide come the next national outbreak.
..What mirror universe?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Wait you are worry that people will get tired of a movement so you want to make it spread out as possible so people will get tire of it quicker?
No so they find a broader solution. A quick purge of police forces to clear the worst offenders is trimming the top of an iceberg. But an actual unfettered group to keep them on the moral side might be a jet of tropical water to melt it down.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Nealithi wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:47 pm

No so they find a broader solution. A quick purge of police forces to clear the worst offenders is trimming the top of an iceberg. But an actual unfettered group to keep them on the moral side might be a jet of tropical water to melt it down.
You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time. Starting too large will get help for no one.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

A fever is only a symptom of infection, but left untreated, the fever itself can kill.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:23 am A fever is only a symptom of infection, but left untreated, the fever itself can kill.
That a good point.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:29 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:23 am A fever is only a symptom of infection, but left untreated, the fever itself can kill.
That a good point.
You're handing out good points, left and right, friend.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Well I've certainly never denied black communities are disenfranchised.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Too high a fever can kill, true. But symptoms are the body fighting those infections. We keep turning those off and the infections linger.