New Vegas

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: New Vegas

Post by Beastro »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:08 am
Yeah, but I wonder if that is more from a technical point of view than lore wise. The lack of whatever they call horses.
I'd say the lack of horses is a technical game limitation. I cannot see having Cattle Barons by their trade dominate the NCR without horses there to help their crews wrangle cattle.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Beastro wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:19 am
Yeah, but I wonder if that is more from a technical point of view than lore wise. The lack of whatever they call horses.
I'd say the lack of horses is a technical game limitation. I cannot see having Cattle Barons by their trade dominate the NCR without horses there to help their crews wrangle cattle.
So we are agreement.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:51 pm
So we are agreement.
Ok, I wasn't sure exactly what you meant there.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I don't either
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

It's the same game engine as Oblivion isn't it? That has horses.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 am
Yeah, they're an evolution of the original Gamebryo engine. It's a 20 year old engine still being used. It's why their games are so buggy, but no other engine can handle all the amount of distributed objects that can be manipulated like it can.

It's a high price for all the loose utensils and other crap thrown around in houses.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

So was Civilization IV. I assume that when they were designing Fallout 3, they didn't literally mod guns and the ruins of DC into Oblivion. They probably reused bits, and didn't import bits that didn't need to be used (like horses).
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Well that is part of my confusion. This engine if memory serves is still evolving. So Skyrim, and Fallout 4 are on the same engine. (I think 76 as well)
So why can you ride something in fantasy but not post-apocalypse? I mean the travel bits should be about the same. And animation wise a motorcycle would be easier than a horse running.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well I decided to go look it up. There's one comic where there were horses shown, but this was allegedly an error (though the email was unverified so...)
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Equidae
And then there's the old Fallout Bible that says in no uncertain terms horses are all dead.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout ... rode_in_on.

So make of this what you will. Maybe the Courier steals a horse when he fast travels. Maybe everyone marches really fast. Maybe having horses require no maintenance in a nuclear wasteland strained credibility. Maybe it was to make the map seem more vast. Maybe they were concerned about people kiting enemies in combat.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

TGLS wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm
So was Civilization IV. I assume that when they were designing Fallout 3, they didn't literally mod guns and the ruins of DC into Oblivion. They probably reused bits, and didn't import bits that didn't need to be used (like horses).
A lot was repurposed with much left unchanged terminology wise.

IIRC, in the creation kit, stimpacks and other meds and drugs are classified as "potions" and the buffs on armour are "spells".
Nealithi wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:10 pm Well that is part of my confusion. This engine if memory serves is still evolving. So Skyrim, and Fallout 4 are on the same engine. (I think 76 as well)
So why can you ride something in fantasy but not post-apocalypse? I mean the travel bits should be about the same. And animation wise a motorcycle would be easier than a horse running.
They're in a bad need of a new engine, if only to help with their notoriously ugly graphics. I'm not a graphics guy, one of my favourite games aesthetics wise is original Everquest and it's 90s look, but even Morrowind's otherwordliness still had an air of ugliness to it, even if it was fitting for the setting; it has no place in the rest of the games. Nothing compares to the fat faces of Oblivion, though.

The issue I think is that it's so easy to make the kind of game they want with the engine... that plus they know long by now that the community will fix the mass of bugs that aren't crippling that they never bother to fix. I mean, we're talking about the same routine that is getting to be almost two decades old.