Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:14 pm
TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:20 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:51 pm I really Liked Lorca as the twist villain of season one and as a character overall, for pretty much the same reasons as Chuck gave in his Discovery reviews, so I'm up for seeing a return of Lorca myself
I'm half expecting that it's going to be prime universe Lorca showing up, and he'll be thoroughly confused. I'm also expecting that this two parter will end up with Georgiou leaving permanently and in position for the section 31 series.
I'll believe it when there a trailer.
Seconded.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:20 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:51 pm I really Liked Lorca as the twist villain of season one and as a character overall, for pretty much the same reasons as Chuck gave in his Discovery reviews, so I'm up for seeing a return of Lorca myself
I'm half expecting that it's going to be prime universe Lorca showing up, and he'll be thoroughly confused. I'm also expecting that this two parter will end up with Georgiou leaving permanently and in position for the section 31 series.
That would be interesting, the closes we've got to seeing Prime Lorca was in Star Trek Online, and with how Georgiou is changing past events like killing Mirror Stamets, maybe she ends up saving him and he ends up in the future.

Another theory that I've seen about Carl from trekmovie.com is that he's a or the Guardian of Forever, with one of the evidences being that the paper he has is The Star Dispatch, the same one from the “City on the Edge of Forever" that reported about Edith Keeler, and even had more references to not just that episode but others on there as reports, the full article is here:
https://trekmovie.com/2020/12/13/two-th ... discovery/
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

They were definitely leaning into the Guardian of Forever. Perhaps this was a more refined version. The one Kirk and crew found was the prototype so that is why it lacked the precision and broadcast its presence to anyone entering the inner region of the star system. Whatever Carl is, he was so fun to watch I would love to see more of him.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:33 pm They were definitely leaning into the Guardian of Forever. Perhaps this was a more refined version. The one Kirk and crew found was the prototype so that is why it lacked the precision and broadcast its presence to anyone entering the inner region of the star system. Whatever Carl is, he was so fun to watch I would love to see more of him.
I don't know, something about Carl reminds me of Q, only way less of a butt-nugget. I get the feeling he's trying to teach Georgiou something, based on his interactions with her (he seems to ignore Science Commando Burnham though, which may or may not be a big mistake; I foresee a Fastball Special with his name on it.)
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:21 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:33 pm They were definitely leaning into the Guardian of Forever. Perhaps this was a more refined version. The one Kirk and crew found was the prototype so that is why it lacked the precision and broadcast its presence to anyone entering the inner region of the star system. Whatever Carl is, he was so fun to watch I would love to see more of him.
I don't know, something about Carl reminds me of Q, only way less of a butt-nugget. I get the feeling he's trying to teach Georgiou something, based on his interactions with her (he seems to ignore Science Commando Burnham though, which may or may not be a big mistake; I foresee a Fastball Special with his name on it.)
That's very true, while there are references to "The City on the Edge of Forever", this does feel like what Q did with Captain Picard in "Tapestry", so it quite possible he is a Q, or even another omnipotent being like the Q, there are plenty of other God like aliens out there in the Star Trek Universe.

Something I personally love about this era of Star Trek is that they are more willing to be creative and weird about the aliens, worlds, and things that they come across, Carl is another example of this, and stuff like Mycelial Network, the Ancient Sphere, the Androids of Coppelius and the alliance of synthetic life for another galaxy, and the Giant Spiders (I still can't watch the rest of Lower Desks so I don't know if there's more word stuff to refer to) just to name some are as absolutely fascinating to me, this really gets me excited for Strange New Worlds as this will be a return to that era of Star Trek where they were encountering weird stuff like this every week.

As for Burnham I don't think well be seeing any Fastball Specials from her, her character arc and the reasons for her maverick tendencies (which to be honest the only one that was really dangerous was her plan in "People of Earth" and the others were more "cowboy diplomacy") was her internal conflict of whether she belonged on Discovery, with "Unification III" bring this all to the foreground and ultimately resolving this conflict thanks to her mums absolute candor, with her deciding that she does belong onboard, so while I'm sure see'll want to help others in need, she'll go through the proper channels to do so, and if told to do something will do so.

I personally don't mind characters like Michael that make bad decisions, or defy orders for moral reasons, or even utilise cowboy diplomacy, after all they're plenty of characters in Star Trek that do this, but what I'd like to see more, and something that Star Trek Discovery is very good at, is that there are consequences to these actions, even if the outcome is positive.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The Guardian of Forever was only mildly sentient in TOS. Not that they havent already retconned Harry Mudd from lovable rogue to psychotic asshole so its not as if they care all that much about anything besides the name of these characters.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Link8909 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:00 pmSomething I personally love about this era of Star Trek is that they are more willing to be creative and weird about the aliens, worlds, and things that they come across, Carl is another example of this, and stuff like Mycelial Network, the Ancient Sphere, the Androids of Coppelius and the alliance of synthetic life for another galaxy, and the Giant Spiders (I still can't watch the rest of Lower Desks so I don't know if there's more word stuff to refer to) just to name some are as absolutely fascinating to me, this really gets me excited for Strange New Worlds as this will be a return to that era of Star Trek where they were encountering weird stuff like this every week.
I'm busy watching through Lower Decks now (just got to S1E4), and it's...funny. Like, legitimately "ha-ha" funny, but also has some really good storytelling. To say there's a huge night-and-day difference between DISCO S1 and LD S1 is like saying that magma is somewhat warm.

Honestly, there's a lot of days when I think about SFDebris' review of the VOY S5 episode "Bride of Chaotica" (S5E12, because I'm allergic to episode titles.) It's a good episode for a variety of reasons, with the primary one that it completely, unironically, rolls with the cheesy old-style Sci-Fi style of storytelling, with all the tropes, and it never once blinks at the camera.

Carl in DISCO S3E9...reminds me of that. He's the TNG-style omnipotent alien who's trying to teach someone an important lesson, by way of practical demonstration. He's quirky, but not directly menacing, because he doesn't have to be: a random old guy named Carl reading a news paper on a snowy hellhole on the border of the Gamma Quadrant is probably precisely none of those things. After all, I don't know many old people who make random interdimensional doors appear, apart from Santa Claus.

Honestly, I'm wondering if LD or DISCO will do a holodeck malfunction episode, not with the boring staleness we became used to in VOY, but instead by slightly exaggerating all the hallmarks of the best holodeck episodes in Trek, but still choosing to play them completely sincerely. I think there's opportunities not only for shenanigans to be afoot, but also to help explore characters and problems that characters are having - for instance, maybe Saru would have to face his lack of self-confidence as a commander, or Adira would have to face that people around you come and go, thus helping her deal with Gray's recent silence.

SIDE NOTE: I did download STO on my PS4 and play again, and I just want to gush about the pure awesomeness that is Klingon Ice Fishing. BEST. MINIGAME. EVER. Also, the follow up event announcement: "For naughty children, today is a good day to cry!" I add this in support of the opinion that Trek really should lean into its wacky side, but remember to A) remember what the plot point they're trying to advance is, and B) play it completely straight - wacky only works if you don't flub it under any circumstances.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

clearspira wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:15 pm The Guardian of Forever was only mildly sentient in TOS. Not that they havent already retconned Harry Mudd from lovable rogue to psychotic asshole so its not as if they care all that much about anything besides the name of these characters.
It was also a different guardian from what we saw in DISCO, but hey, just mere details.

And Harry Mudd "lovable rogue"? How the fuck was he lovable???
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:30 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:15 pm The Guardian of Forever was only mildly sentient in TOS. Not that they havent already retconned Harry Mudd from lovable rogue to psychotic asshole so its not as if they care all that much about anything besides the name of these characters.
It was also a different guardian from what we saw in DISCO, but hey, just mere details.

Yeah, this is something I personally tilt my head at, so killing people and resetting time to do it again because he was left to rot in Klingon Prison is to far, but Drug Smuggling and Human Trafficking is a-okay, rogue I definitely see, but lovable... not so much.

Personally Cyrano Jones fits more as a lovable rogue than Harry Mudd.

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:30 pm

And there being multiple Guardians of Forever is not a retcon? Or was I taking the THE at the start of his name too literally? Very interested to know how you handwave that one sport.

Harry Mudd was lovable in the same way that Quark is lovable. They're both pieces of shit but there is a gold lining to both of them. It'll take too long to detail why, go and watch Chuck's reviews of the TOS Harry Mudd episodes again.