Brexit Done and Dusted

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Brexit Done and Dusted

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:00 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 am
CmdrKing wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm So it looks like Irish Reunification will happen 2-3 years sooner than Star Trek predicted then.
Yep, at this point it's not matter when, not if Ireland will reunite. Especially since they boarder there is effectively no boarder between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, but there is one between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. And that's how it was always going to role out because doing it the other way ends with no trade deal with the US as the Good Friday agreement is a red line for a large number of powerful politicians, including President-Elect Joe Biden, and would also lead to millions of American dollars going directly into the pockets of Irish terrorist groups.
Wait is Ireland it own country now?
Not only that but technically it's got two.
Good for it.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I think Brexit is about as done as medium-rare chicken.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:00 pm Wait is Ireland it own country now?
It has been since 1922 or 1937 (depending upon which change you regard as more significant). There's still the bit on the island of Ireland that's part of the UK and not the (republic of) Ireland, and which will remain so for as long as the majority of the people living there want to.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:44 am I think Brexit is about as done as medium-rare chicken.
nice
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Finally, we are free
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Why does he look like an English Donald Trump
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Michael Govern Ready
@mikegove12
·
10h
Between the time we leave the EU trading bloc at 11pm, and midnight, it is legal to shoot a French haulier with a crossbow from the hard shoulder of the M20.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Gibraltar has a population of about 32 to 34,000 people and roundabout 12 to 15,000 spanish citizens come to the area on a daily basis in order to work there. This BrExit-issue is now adressed:

Gibraltar joins the Schengen Area

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 80866.html
Gibraltar to join EU Schengen border zone, Spain says

British overseas territory will be part of free-travel area

Gibraltar’s border with Spain will remain open following the end of the Brexit transition period after the UK and Spain agreed a draft 11th-hour deal.

The British territory on the southern tip of the Spanish mainland will be part of the free-travel Schengen area.

[...]

He warned, however, that tough negotiations were still ahead in drawing up the treaty, including jurisdiction issues and import duties.

“There will be complexity to come,” he told a news conference, adding that “we may end up with a deal on the [free] movement of people but not goods”.

[...]
Yes, that means that people coming from anywhere but Spain, entering through the airports or ports, will be subject to passport and travel controls and this includes british citizens. But it gets even better than that:

Source: Chief Minister’s Statement – The New Year’s Eve ‘In-Principle’ Agreement: A Post Brexit Deal for Gibraltar - 946/2020

I'll copy the short form of what is said in this statement by the Gibraltarian officials, from Wikipedia:
Elements of the proposed agreement are:
  • Gibraltar (air)ports become entry points of the Schengen area, under responsibility of Spain
  • The border controls will be performed by FRONTEX-personell
  • unrestricted movement of Goods
  • arrangements in the field of "environment, the level playing field, social security coordination, citizens’ rights, data and matters related to continued document recognition"
  • the relationship between Gibraltar and the European Union in areas of EU competence
  • The arrangements are implemented for "an initial period of four years"
So the (air)ports (effectively the new and only borders of Gibraltar now) are proposed to be controlled by spanish and EU-personell (FRONTEX is the combined EU border control and Coast Guard agency). Arrangements will be made to unify standards in "environments, social security coordination and citizen's rights" and to allow the free flow of goods between the EU and Gibraltar...
If you paid attention and sum things up, travel and transport of goods from the UK into Gibraltar will have to be restricted and subject to controls and tariffs by necessity, otherwise Gibraltar becomes a wide open back-door for illegal trade into the EU and Gibraltar openly decides and freely chooses to keep the borders towards Spain and the EU open, while closing it's borders to the UK. In essence, Gibraltar is seeking to de facto join the EU.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:15 am In essence, Gibraltar is seeking to de facto join the EU.
Given the way they (Gibraltar) voted in the referendum, it's hardly surprising.

---

And of course, now that Britain has an agreement, the Italians get to hold it up now because of Parmesan cheese.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It doesn't sound like they're nearly done with the arrangement yet as even the quote says that negotiations are quote unquote not done.
..What mirror universe?