Wonder Woman 1984

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Zargon
Officer

Re: Wonder Woman 1984

Post by Zargon »

It was a bad movie, just as it makes no sense. Plus it's an anti male patriarchy woman power rant. And it was written by someone how did not even vaguely know the comics and sure was not a comic fan. And it shows tons and tos and tons of signs of meddling, editing and being re shoot as dozens of different chefs had to be appeased.

Mall fight bit? Waste of time. It's a pure WASTE of time to have a demigoddess fight mall thug one to four.

The oh look this is what liberal hate mongers think Trump is like, wow it's so obvious. Why not just have Diana work as a doctor at Planned Parenthood?

The body swap back from the dead? Why? Seems pointless: why not have him 'pop' up body and all? The wish power can do ANYTHING right?

And the sex with the guys possessed body?!? Crazy. But it's ok, as they were both men right? So this would work out if flipped right? Male super hero gets long lost dead lover back in another woman's body and has sex with her. No problem, right? Right?

The cut to Egypt was....dumb. And for no reason other then to have the WW vs the army. And for some random Arab guy to make a dumb, dumb, dumb Trump border wall joke. And they fly there in back in like ten minutes(in a fully fueled and operational Smithsonian fighter plane (?) that simply put could never make that flight).

Guess is sure was nice that the not-Loki trickster god put a 'renounce clause of get out of the wish for free card.

And...um...taking over all the TVs in 1984 to get wishes for everybody? Um....um...where to start. A LOT of people did not watch TV 24/7 like in 2020 (really it would be impossible as TV channels went offline after midnight or so). But even more so.....er....like HALF the world has no TV and well more then half the world does not speak English. And then the movie shows lots of people in the city streets or out in the wild....nowhere near ANY TV.

And Cheetah? Not exactly an A villain and she again just waists a fight or two.

So....a couple trillion people make wishes and then....er.....Diana asks then to renounce all their wishes....and everyone does?

But...um....the world is near destroyed? There was no reset: the world is in shambles.

And all the bad guys get away?

And the end?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

How much do you know about Wonder Woman and her comic books, Zargon?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I admit, perhaps I'm in the minority here, but while I can respect the issues critics bring up about questionable consent problems, I kinda don't mind it that much. I mean, yeah, it's a double standard that if this were happening to a woman, it'd get called rape, but... I mean, I didn't really hate the SGA episode Duet or VOY's Body and Soul on those bases, and some of my favorite anime are racy that way, like Ranma 1/2 or the Tetsuwan Birdy OVAs and series.

Is there an issue there? Yeah, I would agree with the critics. But it's just something I kinda roll with. Because this isn't RL, and I would never condone that in RL. But a fantasy is meant to live feelings we otherwise could not in RL, and I just have some kind of thing about dominant women using men this way. It's bizarre. But then, does it have to make sense so long as you can prioritize and treat it as the fiction it's meant to be?
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:17 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:31 am The movie was good, better then the first one.
Why did you like it better?
Because it's more fun and doesn't contradict it's own moral nearly as blatantly.

Still a little to Dark and Edgy for me thought.
Call me KuudereKun
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Seems the Warners made the right call, businesswise.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-wom ... 234661963/
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:31 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:31 am The movie was good, better then the first one.
Because it's more fun and doesn't contradict it's own moral nearly as blatantly.

how did the first one contradict it's own moral? o.0 And WW original was fun as the proverbial barrel of monkeys!
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 am

how did the first one contradict it's own moral? o.0 And WW original was fun as the proverbial barrel of monkeys!
Literally dozen of people have made Youtube videos on this. They should have stuck to their guns of Aries not being real.
Call me KuudereKun
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I've watched a few videos on this now so I understand the basic plot. Whoever made that wishing stone sounds like a right old fool to have put such crappy copy protection on his Object of Massive Power That Makes One A God. Its really just that easy? Just wishing to become the wish stone is all it takes to get yourself infinite wishes?

Lol. Jafar must be feeling a bit put out right now - he became enslaved to the lamp when he tried that one.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 am

Literally dozen of people have made Youtube videos on this. They should have stuck to their guns of Aries not being real.
Well there's a lot of stuff on youtube, so pardon me for reserving most of my attention for a few favorites and Chuck. :P
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »