VOY - Inside Man

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

Re: VOY - Inside Man

Post by drewder »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:35 am Amongst all the stuff about Troi on the beach, is it only me that finds it a bit creepy that you can find anyone that easily even when they're on holiday?

Of course she might've just mentioned where she was going.
We know from Picard that a person with sufficient security clearance can track a retired admiral who is apparently given special security consideration. Doubtless Reg has that clearance or at the least has the 5 year old intellect required to hack Starfleet systems.
LordFeagans
Redshirt

Post by LordFeagans »

drewder wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:48 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:35 am Amongst all the stuff about Troi on the beach, is it only me that finds it a bit creepy that you can find anyone that easily even when they're on holiday?

Of course she might've just mentioned where she was going.
We know from Picard that a person with sufficient security clearance can track a retired admiral who is apparently given special security consideration. Doubtless Reg has that clearance or at the least has the 5 year old intellect required to hack Starfleet systems.
I would imagine that Troi would be easier to track. How many half Betazoids are on Earth? Do a scan near Starfleet Command for half Betazoid DNA and there she is.
Elric4985
Redshirt

Post by Elric4985 »

"20 meters in space terms is the equivalent of shoulder checking someone"
Meanwhile, I'm still wondeirng why we have to be within 10 meters to fire on someone in STO
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

LordFeagans wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pmI would imagine that Troi would be easier to track. How many half Betazoids are on Earth? Do a scan near Starfleet Command for half Betazoid DNA and there she is.
Given how promiscuous female Betazoid are and how humans have a tendency to be curious about fucking anything that moves (or doesn't), even if it's not even vaguely humanoid, I'd hazard a guess and say: There are a lot more half Betazoids running around then we realize. I mean, we have three just in TNG-canon.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
LordFeagans
Redshirt

Post by LordFeagans »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:31 pm
LordFeagans wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pmI would imagine that Troi would be easier to track. How many half Betazoids are on Earth? Do a scan near Starfleet Command for half Betazoid DNA and there she is.
Given how promiscuous female Betazoid are and how humans have a tendency to be curious about fucking anything that moves (or doesn't), even if it's not even vaguely humanoid, I'd hazard a guess and say: There are a lot more half Betazoids running around then we realize. I mean, we have three just in TNG-canon.
I would have to argue against this. Yes we do see human/alien hybrids in Trek, but I don't think these are accidents. Deanna's parents were married and had a long relationship prior to the death of Deanna's father. So it is well within reason that Deanna's mom underwent some prep to get her eggs to join with human sperm. Deanna had her flings here and there during the 7 years of TNG and nothing ever became of those, hell, we never see any evidence of her worrying about anything happening between her and a member of the crew. Meaning that she and Will Riker's kids in Picard were the results of more procedures to ensure that she and Riker could have children together.

So promiscuous Betazoid women on Earth wouldn't really result in an increase in half Betazoids on Earth. The only time I am aware of when a hybrid baby of two parents of different aliens came about by accident was in the DS9 episode "Covenant" where Dukat accidentally impregnated that woman. Either she was so infertile that she needed meds to conceive and in doing so she was able to get knocked up by Dukat, or Cardassians and Bajorans actually come from the same planet originally, which explains much of their antagonism and the belief we see from many Cardassians that they are the rightful rulers of the Bajorans and their world.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

LordFeagans wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:31 pm
I would have to argue against this. Yes we do see human/alien hybrids in Trek, but I don't think these are accidents. Deanna's parents were married and had a long relationship prior to the death of Deanna's father. So it is well within reason that Deanna's mom underwent some prep to get her eggs to join with human sperm. Deanna had her flings here and there during the 7 years of TNG and nothing ever became of those, hell, we never see any evidence of her worrying about anything happening between her and a member of the crew. Meaning that she and Will Riker's kids in Picard were the results of more procedures to ensure that she and Riker could have children together.

So promiscuous Betazoid women on Earth wouldn't really result in an increase in half Betazoids on Earth. The only time I am aware of when a hybrid baby of two parents of different aliens came about by accident was in the DS9 episode "Covenant" where Dukat accidentally impregnated that woman. Either she was so infertile that she needed meds to conceive and in doing so she was able to get knocked up by Dukat, or Cardassians and Bajorans actually come from the same planet originally, which explains much of their antagonism and the belief we see from many Cardassians that they are the rightful rulers of the Bajorans and their world.
Didn't the episode 'The Chase' says all sapient species in the Alpha quadrant came from the same race at one point.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:52 pm

Didn't the episode 'The Chase' says all sapient species in the Alpha quadrant came from the same race at one point.
The precursor race dicked about with the primordial DNA on a lot of planets, so it is more a dice and splice DNA chopshop deal than anything else. I think, it has been awhile since I watched it.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

He's right that if you think about it, there are a fair number of logic issues. But I still remember enjoying this episode. Cause Reg is great.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

LordFeagans wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 pm

Could be that future birth control is simple, unobtrusive, and practically universal, so you've no chance of getting pregnant unless both actively want a baby.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:52 pm

The precursor race dicked about with the primordial DNA on a lot of planets, so it is more a dice and splice DNA chopshop deal than anything else. I think, it has been awhile since I watched it.
That sounds about right.