PIC: The End is the Beginning.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mabus
Captain

Re: PIC: The End is the Beginning.

Post by Mabus »

I find it amusing that despite the series being called "Picard", and was developed with the idea of exploring said titular character, all the interesting stuff that would have properly flesh out the character already happened (convincing Stafleet to save the Romulans, the relocation of Romulans, his quasi-paternal relationship with Elnor, Picard's relationship with Raffi and maybe get a proper answer why she keeps calling him JL as opposed to some "you won't stop calling me that, would you" bullshit reason, Picard's reaction to Mars getting blown up, feeling betrayed by Starfleet, resigning and leaving Starfleet) and all we see are bits of flashback from a far more interesting story.

It would be like the story of Walter White from Breaking Bad not be shown for 5 seasons, instead the series starts all of the sudden with Walt trying to wipe his traces so the cops don't catch him (so season 5), and every other arc from the show (first cooking, relationship with Jesse, the conflict with Tuco, the twins, getting involved with Gus, Walt's conflict with his wife and son) is only shown in a series of short flashbacks.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 am
Plus big sections toward the end stolen nearly word for word from Mass Effect.
You get a pass if the thing you're stealing from stole from you.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 pm I find it amusing that despite the series being called "Picard", and was developed with the idea of exploring said titular character, all the interesting stuff that would have properly flesh out the character already happened (convincing Stafleet to save the Romulans, the relocation of Romulans, his quasi-paternal relationship with Elnor, Picard's relationship with Raffi and maybe get a proper answer why she keeps calling him JL as opposed to some "you won't stop calling me that, would you" bullshit reason, Picard's reaction to Mars getting blown up, feeling betrayed by Starfleet, resigning and leaving Starfleet) and all we see are bits of flashback from a far more interesting story.

It would be like the story of Walter White from Breaking Bad not be shown for 5 seasons, instead the series starts all of the sudden with Walt trying to wipe his traces so the cops don't catch him (so season 5), and every other arc from the show (first cooking, relationship with Jesse, the conflict with Tuco, the twins, getting involved with Gus, Walt's conflict with his wife and son) is only shown in a series of short flashbacks.
The thing is a lot of this is being shown in flashback. That stuff is the Aeyrs Targaryen part of the story.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Mabus wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 pm <snipping for brevity>
Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman were both heavily involved in creating and developing the series. The chances of it being even passable entertainment were somewhat lower than Barcelona getting on to me to be the replacement for Lionel Messi.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

So synthetic life forms are banned and there is no effect on the economy of the Federation? Were synthetics only being used to construct the relief convoy of ships?
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

hypocratus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm So synthetic life forms are banned and there is no effect on the economy of the Federation? Were synthetics only being used to construct the relief convoy of ships?
I suppose the more PC term "synthetic" refers to human-like AI+robotic body, so maybe industrial robots are excluded. Though if that's the case, what happened to the exocomps.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:07 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 am
Plus big sections toward the end stolen nearly word for word from Mass Effect.
You get a pass if the thing you're stealing from stole from you.
What did Mass Effect steal from Trek? Might be the odd detail reminiscent of Trek (hard to do any of that sort of sci-fi without there being something that might remind you of it), but I can't recall anything particularly standing out.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 pm What did Mass Effect steal from Trek? Might be the odd detail reminiscent of Trek (hard to do any of that sort of sci-fi without there being something that might remind you of it), but I can't recall anything particularly standing out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/com ... influence/
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Mabus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:19 pm
hypocratus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm So synthetic life forms are banned and there is no effect on the economy of the Federation? Were synthetics only being used to construct the relief convoy of ships?
I suppose the more PC term "synthetic" refers to human-like AI+robotic body, so maybe industrial robots are excluded. Though if that's the case, what happened to the exocomps.
We're told in a later episode that it basically means anything using "positronic matrix" technology, including medical treatments that don't even involve AI. This explicitly extends to letting children die of easily treatable diseases.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

mathewgsmith wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:08 am
Mabus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:19 pm
We're told in a later episode that it basically means anything using "positronic matrix" technology, including medical treatments that don't even involve AI. This explicitly extends to letting children die of easily treatable diseases.
The Federation overacting on a moral principal? How shocking!