Brexit Done and Dusted

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Brexit Done and Dusted

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:00 pm It doesn't sound like they're nearly done with the arrangement yet as even the quote says that negotiations are quote unquote not done.
Of course the negotiations aren't done. Gibraltar is setting up to join the EU in anything but name after all. What is fact and done meanwhile is, that Gibraltar is part of the Schengen Area. Spain and FRONTEX in particular, are taking care of the border-control and non-Schengen-citizens will be subject to border controls (and tariffs by consequence). Everything beyond that will still need negotiations, obviously.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:24 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:00 pm It doesn't sound like they're nearly done with the arrangement yet as even the quote says that negotiations are quote unquote not done.
Of course the negotiations aren't done. Gibraltar is setting up to join the EU in anything but name after all. What is fact and done meanwhile is, that Gibraltar is part of the Schengen Area. Spain and FRONTEX in particular, are taking care of the border-control and non-Schengen-citizens will be subject to border controls (and tariffs by consequence). Everything beyond that will still need negotiations, obviously.
If they ramp up security measures then smuggling won't be any more than it was. That sounds like what they're going to do from your quotes.

And I think the idear of brexit is more about keeping stuff out of the UK, not shielding the EU from Britain. Though yes there are reflexive security measures, the issue of liability is weighted more against UK in that matter, not the EU.
..What mirror universe?
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

These won't be the last people screwed over by Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 1bZAtPKooc
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

unknownsample wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:41 pm These won't be the last people screwed over by Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 1bZAtPKooc
Well...

https://election.news.sky.com/referendum/dover-2791

They made their bed, now they need to lay down in it. I don't feel much sympathy for them.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Source: UK fishermen halting exports to EU as ‘catastrophic’ Brexit bureaucracy renders business unviable
Perishable seafood first casualty of Boris Johnson’s new trade barriers

Fishermen are halting exports to Europe because new border bureaucracy introduced by the government as part of Brexit is making their business unviable.

Exporters now have to deal with new health certificates, customs declarations and other paperwork if they want to sell to the EU, the largest market for much of the UK's catch.

Describing the situation as a "catastrophe", businesses said orders from Europe were also drying up because of Boris Johnson's new trade barriers.

Seafood is highly perishable and relies on a seamless flow across borders, but small test consignments sent to France and Spain that would normally take one day are now taking three or more days, if they get through at all.

It is also taking five hours for firms to secure a health certificate from authorities, a document required to apply for other customs paperwork.

"Our customers are pulling out," Santiago Buesa, director of SB Fish told the Reuters news agency. "We are fresh product and the customers expect to have it fresh, so they're not buying. It's a catastrophe."

[...]
Oh no. Oh how sad. If only someone could have warned them...
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

A sad day is populist economics.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

So what is happening across the pond.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

actually, we staged the entire Insurrection against Congress to make the UK feel better
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:39 am actually, we staged the entire Insurrection against Congress to make the UK feel better
How long before UKIP tries to do the same?