Dragon Age: Inquisition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Independent George
Officer

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by Independent George »

So... I bought DAI several years ago, when it went on sale, but I've never even installed it. I think it's mostly because of how meh I found DA2. I didn't so much hate it as I got bored with it, and that apathy carried over into not caring enough to import my save. Is it worth playing before we get to the spoilers in Chuck's review?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Independent George wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:57 am So... I bought DAI several years ago, when it went on sale, but I've never even installed it. I think it's mostly because of how meh I found DA2. I didn't so much hate it as I got bored with it, and that apathy carried over into not caring enough to import my save. Is it worth playing before we get to the spoilers in Chuck's review?
Yes, it gets grindy but the story is much better than DA2 and there is way less repeated maps. That being said, if you do play the game make sure to not stay in the Hinterlands too long you can leave it pretty soon after you go there.
Independent George
Officer

It's the weekend, and I decided to download inquisition so I can start playing tomorrow afternoon. Except I can't, because Origin is basically malware and started using 100% of my CPU.

I freaking hate EA.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Independent George wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:38 am It's the weekend, and I decided to download inquisition so I can start playing tomorrow afternoon. Except I can't, because Origin is basically malware and started using 100% of my CPU.

I freaking hate EA.
It is on Steam now in case you haven't bought it from origin already. Origin fucked my shit too and I wasn't actually able to start playing games I PAYED for on it for three months because I kept having to uninstall and reinstall the damn thing. So I know how you feel.
Independent George
Officer

Beelzquill wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:47 amIt is on Steam now in case you haven't bought it from origin already. Origin fucked my shit too and I wasn't actually able to start playing games I PAYED for on it for three months because I kept having to uninstall and reinstall the damn thing. So I know how you feel.
Unfortunately, even if you buy, install, and launch from Steam, you need to have Origin on in the background, because EA. Ditto for running DAO on GOG (which is my preferred vendor).

I cleared out temp files last night as per instructions, and manually shut origin through the task manager & restarted, no dice. I shut down last night, and it seems to be ok now with a fresh boot.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I'd intended for each chapter to be larger than this, actually.
Oh, that's OK Chuck-- Wait, part 1's an hour long! Were you trying to make The Irishman of Let's Play?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

TGLS wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:49 pm
I'd intended for each chapter to be larger than this, actually.
Oh, that's OK Chuck-- Wait, part 1's an hour long! Were you trying to make The Irishman of Let's Play?
Heh, well the intention for Inquisition, Fallout 3, and New Vegas is to handle it as a sort of long form. I want to devote a lot of time to getting the films out the door that have had to bend before the various crises, but I didn't want these games to grind to a halt. So I wanted each to be really impactful to tide over until we could get to the next chapter, and while it does offer a clean break where I stopped, I'd hoped for more progression of the storyline than I was able to get in.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

Yeah, the Hinterlands give a really terrible first impression for this game. I think I got past them eventually, but still ended up putting down the game because the exploration in this game felt miserable, hard to navigate and with virtually nothing of interest except combat, which wasn't varied enough to keep my interest. I honestly preferred the repeated, narrow maps of DA2 because at least they didn't waste a lot of my time with nonsense, and the developers had the forgivable excuse of being given a ridiculously short deadline. If I ever try DA:I again - and I'm sure I will - I'll have to resist the urge to go anywhere other than quest markers.

Incidentally, I had a very similar problem with Fallout 4. It took me far too long to realize that most of the locations in the game were just there to provide destinations for the randomized quest system. I wasted dozens of hours trying to convince myself I was having fun before I finally had to admit that I wasn't.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

When I played the game the first time, I spent at least five hours grinding in the Hinterlands just to get to Dennet's Farm because I thought that was the requirement for the story and I thought Horses were going to be really important. Turns out, no, no they were not.

edit: Hey did anyone here use that druffalo as a meatshield to get past that damn waterfall? I had already cleared it before getting the quest and then noticed it was level 12 and I facepalmed.
A_Really_Big_Cat
Redshirt

Post by A_Really_Big_Cat »

Have not watched the whole video yet, but my first impressions are that this game seems to fall into the same trap that almost every other RPG does (and at least most BioWare games that I'm familiar with), which is to try to build up the MC as the most important person in the world right from the beginning, when really you're just caught in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time. I really dislike stories like this; I greatly prefer stories where the stakes are initially very low and the main character isn't built up in this way so quickly.