Trump Departs Washington

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Trump Departs Washington

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That is correct.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:12 pm Didn't biden say he only plan on being a one term president.
He's waffled on that. Just imagine a racist, sexist old white octogenarian running and winning again? A man who supported racial segregation, all sorts of military imperialism, and has a history of lewdness towards women? That's the sad state of our political circus.

Because while he at one point vaguely mumbled about that, he's wanted this since the '80s. Do we really just expect someone to give up the fame and pomp and prestige after wanting it for four decades? The presidency is like a drug, in many ways the world literally revolves around you.

Mr. Biden will absolutely run for a second term. AND I WANT HIM TO LOSE. Why are voting for a man practically on his deathbed to one of the most important job positions in the world?

That said, don't undercount the young vote here. They may say traditionally younger voters don't turn out, and while true, younger voters cannot stand him. We see through his BS and want someone more in line with modern generations and our thinking. Someone in their 50s, not their freggin' 80s.

If Mr. Trump split the GOP vote, make no mistake, young voters would be Mr. Biden's downfall, especially in 2024 when young voters are going to account for a historical portion of the electorate. And he is too old and out of touch, only Boomers love him, not just as the lesser of two evils, they think he's a good man who cares about us. :lol:

What comedy.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Umm they didn't vote for Biden, they voted against Trump. A lot of people would have voted for anyone who could get trump our of the Whitehouse. Plus your argument is confusing he on his death bed but he will try to keep his job?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I only voted to oust Trump form office. I would have preferred many other candidates over Biden, but beggars can't be choosers. Besides, I intend to hold Biden accountable the same way I held Trump accountable.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

That is a good thing.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 pm That is a good thing.
It is indeed a very good thing. Even a self-identified independent like me had to get involved. Pulled in for my family. So sometimes it works out okay.

My right libertarian friends find it incredulous an uninspiring older racist sexist white hypocrite could win, but I don't think so. The dems could have nominated literally, without hyperbole, a bag of s*** and ran it for office since if it stayed silent (and s*** doesn't lie), it would beat Mr. Trump. 8-)

So, yes, it's embarrassing someone like Mr. Biden got the most votes in American history, but that Mr. Trump is the runner-up should temper that. If anything, I expect more inflated vote totals on the horizon for a variety of reasons.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Lesser of two evils, and all.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Your an independent too?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 pm So, yes, it's embarrassing someone like Mr. Biden got the most votes in American history, but that Mr. Trump is the runner-up should temper that. If anything, I expect more inflated vote totals on the horizon for a variety of reasons.
I don't think you can ascribe 2020's historically high turnout to any of the candidates; I think the higher turnout rests mostly on the expansion of mail-in ballots over anything else. Besides that, the winners in each of the last five elections are also the most voted for presidents in history (Only 1984 Reagan comes anywhere near close, and he won in a landslide).

--

I think both major parties are going to erroneously take the lesson: "The Democrats won because more people voted." If you adjust out votes for third parties, the Democrats only really swung ~1.2% of the vote since the previous election. Despite the behavior of the Republicans and the Democrats during the last cycle, I don't think improving ballot access is the "Democrats Win" button everyone seems to treat it as.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Makeshift Python
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 pm Your an independent too?
Always have been.