Trump Departs Washington

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Trump Departs Washington

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I am too, I chose the best from what I can gather, or atleast the one who isn't worst.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

TGLS wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:16 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 pm So, yes, it's embarrassing someone like Mr. Biden got the most votes in American history, but that Mr. Trump is the runner-up should temper that. If anything, I expect more inflated vote totals on the horizon for a variety of reasons.
I don't think you can ascribe 2020's historically high turnout to any of the candidates; I think the higher turnout rests mostly on the expansion of mail-in ballots over anything else. Besides that, the winners in each of the last five elections are also the most voted for presidents in history (Only 1984 Reagan comes anywhere near close, and he won in a landslide).

--

I think both major parties are going to erroneously take the lesson: "The Democrats won because more people voted." If you adjust out votes for third parties, the Democrats only really swung ~1.2% of the vote since the previous election. Despite the behavior of the Republicans and the Democrats during the last cycle, I don't think improving ballot access is the "Democrats Win" button everyone seems to treat it as.
This is why I've said they need to run more inspiring candidates, those in touch with the people, yet I got blasted for that. :roll:

Because they sure as H cannot count on high turnout in 2022 or 2024, largely since the circumstances of 2020 cannot be replicated, which I see as a red slobberknocker. That gives them an 18-month window to get what they need done to gain momentum for the midterms. I kinda doubt they will, TBH.

I mean, historically, when you look at the kinda down-ballot waves Mr. Clinton and Mr. Obama brought with them, you begin to see just how much the DNC lost, and the high turnout, as well as Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden's own campaigning in the run-off races, is all that kept them from completely losing 2020 in the state elections.

It's a mess they won't clean up. Can count on that. It's why I generally prefer not to vote.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:50 pm I only voted to oust Trump form office. I would have preferred many other candidates over Biden, but beggars can't be choosers. Besides, I intend to hold Biden accountable the same way I held Trump accountable.
Same. I would have voted for Romney against 45.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I think someone would voted Nixon over Trump, and he dead.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

It's nice to have a president that I would prefer to most supervillains, for a change..
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

If it weren't for the abysmal handling of COVID in the US, we would have likely had another term with Trump. I really think that's the only reason he was brought down. Anyone should have won by a landslide, but Biden just got by with the same notable gap that Hillary got (albeit with a larger majority vote). I too hope the Dems don't become complacent with their wins, because it's wayyyy to close.

That said, with Trump wanting to start a third party, that will certainly fracture the GOP and give Dems an easy pass.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Dear Gods, I hope the Dems don't get complacent either. It's easy to forget before 45 started writing his own name in feces on the walls that Democrats used to be the party of inefficacy and self-sabotage.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Your assuming trump isn't behind bar in four years.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:53 pm Your assuming trump isn't behind bar in four years.
Genuine question: How many of the 1% have ever gone to jail in the history of the human race? Truth and justice only applies to the poor, my friend.

I would also put to you that Donald Trump the martyr is far more dangerous than Donald Trump failed president. If there are people out there who would storm the Capitol Building because they believe that Trump is a deposed president who had the election stole from him, imagine the bullshit that is going to come from their deposed president being impeached and then imprisoned. Civil wars have started for less.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I am more worry about the next person, because the next person will be smarter, younger and know when to keep his mouth shut. Plus he not going to be rich for long.