Brexit Done and Dusted

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Brexit Done and Dusted

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

That sounds pretty hypocritical.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

So, I dug a little bit, since clearspira apparently refuses to say anything on that matter and the issue is as follows:

The whole hubbub is about one company in particular: The anglo-swedish company called AstraZeneca and their belgian production facility, who apparently promised a production of 80 to 120 million doses for the EU by the end of March 2021 but has unexpectedly and, to my knowledge, without disclosing clear reason, taken "a few" steps back on their promise, citing simply "production problems". Those "few" steps back? Well, their expected production dropped to 31 million doses in the same time-frame (some sources mention ~40 million doses).
Now, especially taking into account the background of the EU allegedly handing the company quite a sum of money in order to ramp up production (citation needed), the EU was kinda unhappy with that prospect and demanded clarity on the issue. The EU decided to take action on the obvious lack of transparency (let that sink in for a moment, given that one of the primary criticism of the EU and by BrExiteers in particular, was the lack of transparency of the EU) and threatened or considered actions to increase the control over where those companies are taking their production, so called third countries, which is every nation on Earth that is not part of the EU or a partner of the EU (e.g. Norway). And yes, that includes the UK.

Now, at no point was triggering Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol (a part of the BrExit-agreement that basically would result in a hard border between the Republic and Northern Ireland) a step in official considerations. It might have been mentioned and discussed behind closed doors, which is quite a natural thing to do, as the officials were discussing their options, but it never was something that was really on the table at this stage of the affair. This alleged intent to "starve" Britain of vaccine-doses or to trigger Article 16 solely exists in the british media...

Oh and as for Britain leading the world in how many people are vaccinated? No surprise, given that Britain is also the world leader in not administering the required second shot of the vaccine two to three weeks after the first. Everyone else is reserving half the production for that second shot. One can't possibly imagine how both facts are linked. Or what that can potentially lead to. Wouldn't be the first time this year, that Britain becomes the prime exporter of a superbug-version of CoViD-19... I'd prefer if the british state put more emphasize onto how to shorten and streamline their export protocols for fresh produce like fish instead, but who am I to critisize a sovereign nation on their decissions.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

More info - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55872763

The NI border has been a weapon wielded against Leavers for five years. Let Brexit succeed, and the Troubles will be back within hours. I refuse to believe that the EU are that stupid they did not know what was going to happen when they tried to trigger the ''lets put a border up'' clause. Honestly Kami, I have not seen Remainers so furious at the EU - basically ever. You have triggered the WW1 Christmas Truce over here, only instead of football in No Man's Land its kickabout with an effigy of the EU president. Even sodding Tony Blair of all people has had a crack. And he's a man who if you cut him open his blood would be coloured blue with golden stars.

The EU also did not tell the Irish government they were going to do this. Amazing what power this simple trading bloc has over its members huh? Potential full border control?

As for why Britain has gotten the doses earlier, its because the EU ordered them THREE MONTHS after we did. Its basic supply and demand. We ordered first, we get first. Its very simple despite what the EU is now trying to claim.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yet again you are ignoring the simple fact, that the EU was not, is not and never planned to close the irish borders. You've quite successfully been lead on a specific path laid out to you by the british media and their partners in politics. Your propaganda pieces are still working with the same efficiency that they've been working with since World War 1 *slowclap*

But hey, feel free to find any official mentioning of an active intent of triggering Article 16 in any non-british source. I'll wait right here.

Oh and the EU was paying pharma-companies to expand their production in european facilities with the expressed purpose of bolstering the production of vaccine for Europe, in Europe, by european branches of those companies. The shortfall of those companies to deliver on their promise, is very much a legit european concern, wouldn't you agree?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

So glad that the whole Brexit thing is smoothly resolved and settled. :|
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:41 pm So glad that the whole Brexit thing is smoothly resolved and settled. :|
It would be if the EU didn't keep acting like a spoiled child.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

So the EU somehow has to be subservient to the whims and wishes of the UK? You know, the whole underlying tenor of all such remarks I get is, that there's some sort of expectation of English Exceptionalism going on. We don't get what we want from a conglomerate of nation-states? We leave. We left and don't get what we want? The EU is the spoiled child. Don't you notice how deeply and utterly flawed that approach is?

The UK argued that they have no agency, no sovereignty. They left and found, that they lost agency, that they lost sovereignty due to their leaving and somehow other, sovereign nations are the bad guys and spoiled children, because they have sovereign decissions. Does the continent have any less rights to be sovereign than the UK?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:41 pm So glad that the whole Brexit thing is smoothly resolved and settled. :|
It would be if the EU didn't keep acting like a spoiled child.
*points to the thread title*

And hey, apparently now health officials are reminding everyone that expiration dates are suggestions rather than hard rules. I bet the leavers are feeling really smug now that they have to figure out how long the shoots growing out of potatoes have to be before you throw them out. Wonder how long it'll be before the return of wartime rationing and classic staples like the Toast Sandwich?

I kid of course. The leavers will continue to convince themselves they made the right move no matter how bad it gets, because of the sunk cost factor.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Oh and for the record on the whole outrage about the EU considering their options, well...

https://ihsmarkit.com/research-analysis ... dates.html
[...]

However, one small but significant development was noted by IHS Markit on 25 February - the addition of two long-established medicines to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)'s list of products for which parallel export is prohibited until further notice.

[...]

Both of these medicines have been highlighted in recent communications from the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology and the World Health Organisation (WHO) as part of a growing list of potential therapeutics under evaluation as candidates for use in mitigating infections in the COVID-19 outbreak.

[...]
Posted 26 February 2020 by Janet Beal, Senior Research Analyst, Life Sciences, IHS Markit

Or this little moment happening in mid-January:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... ago/30/01/
Boris Johnson was among the first people to express “grave concerns” over the EU’s move to invoke Article 16 last night as the vaccine dispute threatened to spill over.

[...]

But as the EU shoulders uproar from the UK government, it seems to have been forgotten that the Prime Minister himself said he would have “no hesitation” in triggering it – just two weeks ago.

[...]

Boris Johnson replied: “I can tell the right honourable gentleman that at the moment goods are flowing effectively and in normal volumes between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and so far no lorries have been turned back. Yes, of course there are teething problems.

“What I can say, what I can confirm to him, is that if there are problems that we believe are disproportionate, then we will have no hesitation in invoking Article 16.”
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

The entire Brexit vote was made on a series of promises that very quickly became clear the government wasn't actually going to be able to do.

And given that it was a close vote, nearly 50/50... maaaybe, just maybe, Brexit should have gotten a second vote after it became its leaders had no actual plan for it?

Kind of like trump's promise for a wall that Mexico will pay for... without any concern for rivers, mountains, private property, animals or that it was 2,000 miles long...