Trump Departs Washington

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Trump Departs Washington

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:53 pm
phantom000 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16 pm Say what you will about Bush or Obama at least they could act like a president! It's like Trump's election and his presidency was just one big publicity stunt that just got out of hand.

He would post angry rants on Twitter, make all kinds of statements apparently not even aware of what he was saying. He said he supported the idea of being president for life, then laughed it off like a joke. He said he would sign an executive order banning people from voting for Biden.

And this is the guy people wanted in the White House?
A sizeable portion of the US populace is entirely fed up with the political system. Not that I agree with the "hows" or "where tos", but voting for him was quite the logical choice for a people who feel that they are left behind by the establishment (and not realizing their actual political power as a collective, which is quite ironic, but hey, who am I to point out to: FUCKING VOTE FOR A THIRD PARTY ALREADY).
If you're fed up with the establishment, maybe don't vote for the man who has a golden toilet
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:33 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:53 pm
phantom000 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16 pm Say what you will about Bush or Obama at least they could act like a president! It's like Trump's election and his presidency was just one big publicity stunt that just got out of hand.

He would post angry rants on Twitter, make all kinds of statements apparently not even aware of what he was saying. He said he supported the idea of being president for life, then laughed it off like a joke. He said he would sign an executive order banning people from voting for Biden.

And this is the guy people wanted in the White House?
A sizeable portion of the US populace is entirely fed up with the political system. Not that I agree with the "hows" or "where tos", but voting for him was quite the logical choice for a people who feel that they are left behind by the establishment (and not realizing their actual political power as a collective, which is quite ironic, but hey, who am I to point out to: FUCKING VOTE FOR A THIRD PARTY ALREADY).
If you're fed up with the establishment, maybe don't vote for the man who has a golden toilet
I'm only quoting this because I agree with you 100%.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I can't believe I have to point this out, but I was aiming at the political establishment. Now there is overlap with the financial elite, but they are not one and the same.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

nah
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:45 pm I can't believe I have to point this out, but I was aiming at the political establishment. Now there is overlap with the financial elite, but they are not one and the same.
They are not one and the same, but that's only because there are members of the political establishment that are not part of the financial elite. The reverse is not true because the political establishment is built to serve the financial elite and their wants.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

How can one dictator and his clique, hold sway over millions of people without the willing compliance or even outright consent of those people? That the system is built as it is, is not because the elites want it so, it's because the people refuse to take agency.

It's been pointed out, that there are no alternatives to the Democrats and Republicans, no viable third parties. Well why don't you build one? It wouldn't be the first time in US history, that established parties are hijacked or outright replaced. But no, it's so far more comfortable to sit on your arse and rail against the elite and complain all day about how you have no power, rather than have a good and hard look into the mirror, to find the real problem. And no, I am not telling you to take your gun and storm the Capitol. I am telling you to create alternatives within the basic principles of your society, at least if you want the basic principles of your society to stay. I mean, I get complacency in a society like China or North Korea and Russia, where your life is at stake if you do as much as voice your opinion on any matter, but the US or western societies in general? Come the fuck on...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Jesus christ, you finally change your avatar and start making sense.
..What mirror universe?
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:39 pm How can one dictator and his clique, hold sway over millions of people without the willing compliance or even outright consent of those people? That the system is built as it is, is not because the elites want it so, it's because the people refuse to take agency.

It's been pointed out, that there are no alternatives to the Democrats and Republicans, no viable third parties. Well why don't you build one? It wouldn't be the first time in US history, that established parties are hijacked or outright replaced. But no, it's so far more comfortable to sit on your arse and rail against the elite and complain all day about how you have no power, rather than have a good and hard look into the mirror, to find the real problem. And no, I am not telling you to take your gun and storm the Capitol. I am telling you to create alternatives within the basic principles of your society, at least if you want the basic principles of your society to stay. I mean, I get complacency in a society like China or North Korea and Russia, where your life is at stake if you do as much as voice your opinion on any matter, but the US or western societies in general? Come the fuck on...
There is a line from A Canticle for Leibowitz where the abbot is point to the TV and says "That thing is a captive of the state. The [Chinese] media has to say whatever will least displease its leaders while [The American] media has to say whatever will least displease our patriotically opinionated rabble, which exactly what our leaders want it to say anyhow, so where's the difference?" and that more-or-less sums up my feelings about politics these days. What's the difference any more? Does really understand the difference between democrats and republicans? Is there a difference anymore? I watch political rallies and all the candidates ever say is exactly what the crowd wants them to say and the crowd only wants hear exactly what the candidate wants to say, so what's the difference?

It's like nobody understands the issue and no one wants to anymore. All they have the time for is, 'i'm X and you are Y' and anything else is strictly academic. And of course the people in Washington know that so of course that's the only lines they operate on because if they did anything else they would be out of a job next election.

People ask me why I don't get involved in politics and my answer is usually 'involved in what?' The Republicans are ready to walk right off a cliff and say it was the Democrats' fault while the Democrats are willing to burn their own house to the ground, and themselves with it, so long as they can say the Republicans made them do it.

Sorry, I'm raving....
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

The Republicans are an evil death-cult that works with Nazis. The Democrats aren't. It's not exactly a strong selling point, but Nazis do help a lot with conundrums of moral ambiguity.

If the Democrats won in 2016, the pandemic response team they built wouldn't be dismantled as a sop to 45's terror that the Black Guy before him has a bigger peener. I can't say we would have had a great response, but it would be a response beyond actively trying to suppress the truth and personally spreading plague at the highest levels of government. At the very least, our covid deaths would have been tens of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands.

One party is, if not truly representing the will of the people, at least elected by said people. The other party only maintains any political control through gerrymandering and voter suppression. I'll settle for a lesser evil if the greater evil is actual Nazis talking about how old people should be ready and willing to die for their stock market index.

Put another way, I could never see the outgoing jackass becoming a Democratic party presidential front-runner, much less being enabled by the entire party.