Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
GreyICE
Captain

Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

Post by GreyICE »

So most of the time we don't get to know what happened in a police report. We get an awkward cell phone video, a press release by the department, and if there's a complaint an investigation and a determination of "no wrongdoing" with all the records sealed. But the Derek Chauvin trial is uncovering some wonderful facts about his police work.

To the surprise of no one, George Floyd wasn't unusual for Chauvin and his thugs. Arguably if Floyd hadn't died, it wouldn't even be the worst.
Three weeks before he planted his knee on George Floyd's neck, Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin responded to a report of a woman being held hostage by armed men in a South Side apartment...

Chauvin marched into the building as a Black man named Adrian Drakeford walked out. Drake­ford was carrying an object the officers later said they thought to be a knife. Without a word, they tackled him to the ground outside the apartment building..,

The policemen never found the 911 caller or determined whether she was still in danger. Instead, they detained Adrian and arrested one of his brothers, Terrance, who arrived on the scene and protested their treatment of Adrian.
https://www.startribune.com/video-weeks ... UziLrYkIOk

They literally responded to the call and arrested the first black man they saw. They never checked on the caller or the hostage situation, they just walked up, arrested a black guy, and left. By the way he didn't have a knife, although the police say that the officers may have "mistaken a cell phone for a knife." (sure)
Nearly three years before the Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd as he cried out that he couldn’t breathe last May, Zoya Code found herself in a similar position: handcuffed facedown on the ground, with Mr. Chauvin’s knee on her...

Last week, a judge in Minnesota ruled that prosecutors could present the details of her 2017 arrest in their case against the former officer, who was charged with second-degree unintentional murder in Mr. Floyd’s death.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/us/d ... cases.html

Maybe this will help shed some light on why we need to completely replace departments, and rip out these institutions wholesale. In every major city in America there are multiple officers like this, and they're being shielded by the rest of the police force, who approve of and support their actions.

We literally have an example of police being called to a hostage situation, arresting the first black man they see and leaving without even checking on the woman reportedly being held hostage. I wonder how we'll see this spun.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

Post by Thebestoftherest »

And luckily Dragon Ball Fan will happily spin it for you.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

"BUt if we defund the police, who wil KEEP us SAFE?!"-Some Wanker Even After Reading This
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:19 am "BUt if we defund the police, who wil KEEP us SAFE?!"-Some Wanker Even After Reading This
Why can't we just rebuild the police? If we can rebuild the police force of Iraq why can't we rebuild the police force of Pittsburgh?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

TGLS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:25 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:19 am "BUt if we defund the police, who wil KEEP us SAFE?!"-Some Wanker Even After Reading This
Why can't we just rebuild the police? If we can rebuild the police force of Iraq why can't we rebuild the police force of Pittsburgh?
Because by their nature the police are made to support the interests of the powerful and keep the lower classes in line.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:36 am
Because by their nature the police are made to support the interests of the powerful and keep the lower classes in line.
I don't know. Either the police are enforcing laws that disproportionately impact the poor and other marginalized groups, or they're abusing their authority to do the same. Tossing out the concept of police entirely seems a bit brash. Why not alter laws that go after marginalized groups (either deliberately or incidentally) and adjust the system so police officers have less lee-way in abusing their authority?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Spam-desu
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

TGLS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:10 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:36 am
I don't know. Either the police are enforcing laws that disproportionately impact the poor and other marginalized groups, or they're abusing their authority to do the same. Tossing out the concept of police entirely seems a bit brash. Why not alter laws that go after marginalized groups (either deliberately or incidentally) and adjust the system so police officers have less lee-way in abusing their authority?
LEt me used a simile, if your car broke down would you try to fix it while your still driving?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

TGLS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:10 amI don't know. Either the police are enforcing laws that disproportionately impact the poor and other marginalized groups, or they're abusing their authority to do the same. Tossing out the concept of police entirely seems a bit brash. Why not alter laws that go after marginalized groups (either deliberately or incidentally) and adjust the system so police officers have less lee-way in abusing their authority?
You can dissolve a police department and make a new one with more limited responsibilities and no bullshit guilds without "tossing out the concept of police entirely." It's like shutting down a restaurant that doesn't meet the health and safety code. You're not tossing out the concept of restaurants, you're fixing a problem.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:10 am LEt me used a simile, if your car broke down would you try to fix it while your still driving?
GreyICE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:27 am You can dissolve a police department and make a new one with more limited responsibilities and no bullshit guilds without "tossing out the concept of police entirely." It's like shutting down a restaurant that doesn't meet the health and safety code. You're not tossing out the concept of restaurants, you're fixing a problem.
This sounds fairly reasonable. However, when I hear "Defund the Police" I hear it roughly the same way as "Defund the NEA" or "Defund Public Schools". It doesn't seem like the right way to communicate the message.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The police department budget for most cities is bigger than the budget for everything else put together. The arts still exist even if you cut the NEA.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville