TOS - Immunity Syndrome

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: TOS - Immunity Syndrome

Post by Riedquat »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:23 am
Though, they could have just said it's a case of convergent evolution. A tetrapod with two arms, two legs, head on top, binocular vision, and stereoscopic hearing is an effective body structure for an intelligent tool user and spacefaring races will be intelligent tool users by default.
You'd still expect a lot more variation than we've got I think.

To be honest that's one of those plausible exceptions to reality that I don't find too hard to swallow due both to the practicalities of filming, and not really having a clue just what sort of variety is plausible and what isn't (within limits) - different for the sake of being different whilst looking or acting ridiculous and handwaving that away with "it's alien" isn't really any better (see Chuck's comments about the STIV whale probe).
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Starfleet Battles had the Hydrans. They were methane breathers with two mouths, three arms, three legs, and stood at about a meter and a third. And let's not forget the Tholians. It's just aliens like these would have to be CGI and would be expensive to include in a live action show.

Hopefully Lower Decks and Prodigy can take advantage of their animated medium and give us some weirder aliens.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Agree, still think they need better animation.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

What made the giant space ameba so scary is that it is essentially a mindless creature of mass destruction. It is basically The U.S.S. Enterprise vs. Yog Sothoth.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Scififan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:27 am What made the giant space ameba so scary is that it is essentially a mindless creature of mass destruction. It is basically The U.S.S. Enterprise vs. Yog Sothoth.
You mean amoeba?
..What mirror universe?
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Yeah sorry about that, sigh, I used to be such a good speller.