Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

Post by Makeshift Python »

I think Derek should get the chair.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Bad police files - the Derek Chauvin case is giving us a rare look behind the scenes

Post by Thebestoftherest »

We don't used the chair. We got needles that works just as well.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

TGLS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:25 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:19 am "BUt if we defund the police, who wil KEEP us SAFE?!"-Some Wanker Even After Reading This
Why can't we just rebuild the police? If we can rebuild the police force of Iraq why can't we rebuild the police force of Pittsburgh?
You are saying that like Iraq is in a good place when it comes to anything. This is a report from the State Department from after the USA "rebuilt" their police. The report only says it is unsure about if the police are doing kidnappings and murders because so many officers have sold their uniforms to other groups who also engage in such behavior and those cases rarely get closed in a satisfying way.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

TulipQulqu wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 pm You are saying that like Iraq is in a good place when it comes to anything. This is a report from the State Department from after the USA "rebuilt" their police. The report only says it is unsure about if the police are doing kidnappings and murders because so many officers have sold their uniforms to other groups who also engage in such behavior and those cases rarely get closed in a satisfying way.
Well, that's pretty bad. I'm just thinking:
-> The US has made considerable effort at developing counter-insurgency tactics that generally involve good governance.
-> The US is totally fine using said tactics all over the world (Iraq, Afghanistan, Colombia, etc.)
-> Surely the US could employ the good governance portion of tactics domestically to build support amongst marginalized communities.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

TGLS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:25 pm
TulipQulqu wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 pm You are saying that like Iraq is in a good place when it comes to anything. This is a report from the State Department from after the USA "rebuilt" their police. The report only says it is unsure about if the police are doing kidnappings and murders because so many officers have sold their uniforms to other groups who also engage in such behavior and those cases rarely get closed in a satisfying way.
Well, that's pretty bad. I'm just thinking:
-> The US has made considerable effort at developing counter-insurgency tactics that generally involve good governance.
-> The US is totally fine using said tactics all over the world (Iraq, Afghanistan, Colombia, etc.)
-> Surely the US could employ the good governance portion of tactics domestically to build support amongst marginalized communities.
The lesson of Iraqi and Afhganistan for the USA should be "never do that again! I do not care how many buildings they blow up or who was in them!". If these things were done to a domestic target we would literally be in a civil war.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:52 pm We don't used the chair. We got needles that works just as well.
Yeah but watching him ride the lightning would be more fun. Broadcast it on TV. It'll give Dragon Ball Fan an aneurysm.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:52 pm We don't used the chair. We got needles that works just as well.
Yeah but watching him ride the lightning would be more fun. Broadcast it on TV. It'll give Dragon Ball Fan an aneurysm.
Yeah broadcasting executions is actually a big red flag for me.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

TGLS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:10 am LEt me used a simile, if your car broke down would you try to fix it while your still driving?
GreyICE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:27 am You can dissolve a police department and make a new one with more limited responsibilities and no bullshit guilds without "tossing out the concept of police entirely." It's like shutting down a restaurant that doesn't meet the health and safety code. You're not tossing out the concept of restaurants, you're fixing a problem.
This sounds fairly reasonable. However, when I hear "Defund the Police" I hear it roughly the same way as "Defund the NEA" or "Defund Public Schools". It doesn't seem like the right way to communicate the message.
I am slightly wonderous that after 8 months you have not been able to move past a simple slogan to attempt to grasp more. However, I have a suspicion that you're not actually an idiot. Given that, this seems to be an attempt to deflect away from an actual conversation by pretending to be an idiot. Which is... not helpful.

If you ever want to know why people simply stop talking to the American right wing after a while, it is because this feigned idiocy defense becomes increasingly irritating. "A gun is always loaded" does not mean it's physically impossible to remove bullets from a gun, or that you never need to reload one, right? I can grasp this more complex topic from a simple phrase.

If you want to converse without pretending to be an idiot, I'm always open. If you want to continue, well, after a while you risk becoming your mask.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Hey Grey Ice will this be a regular occurence on the fourm?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:03 am

If you want to converse without pretending to be an idiot, I'm always open. If you want to continue, well, after a while you risk becoming your mask.
You might not want to call a moderator an idiot or a person pretending to be an idiot there Greyice. It might not end well for you.