A Criticism of the Prequel Trilogy That Kinda Bugs Me

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: A Criticism of the Prequel Trilogy That Kinda Bugs Me

Post by Thebestoftherest »

The cgi or the traditional animation.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:17 pm The cgi or the traditional animation.
The 2003 2d one. It is not really traditional animation because there are obvious computer effects in some shots and coloring was all done digitally by then.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yeah that is true
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:10 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:50 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:17 am Out of curiosity what #8 and 9?
Well, here's my ranking of the saga:

1. The Empire Strikes Back - 10/10
2. Star Wars - 9/10
3. The Last Jedi - 8/10
4. The Force Awakens - 7/10
5. Return of the Jedi - 7/10
6. The Rise of Skywalker - 5/10
7. Revenge of the Sith - 4/10
8. The Phantom Menace - 3/10
9. Attack of the Clones - 1/10
Yeah, honestly I feel you can watch the prequel beginning with episode three and lose nothing really.
Part of why I can't get into the CLONE WARS TV show is because the very concept of the war itself is a farce. I can't watch it without thinking "this is all bullshit, Palpatine's behind both sides so there's no drama". It doesn't help that the war is being fought between droids and clones as if Lucas wanted to take the most bloodless route possible, especially when it shows Coruscant still thriving as if it's not suffering from the war, even when it's right above orbit.

It would have infinitely been more interesting if Dooku was actually genuine in his stance with the separatists because he recognized the Republic had been corrupted by a Sith lord and the Jedi couldn't see it. But once it's revealed he was working under Palpatine, and that the other separatists consist of evil Trade Federation leaders there's nothing left.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:47 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:10 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:17 am Out of curiosity what #8 and 9?

2. Star Wars - 9/10
3. The Last Jedi - 8/10
Yeah, honestly I feel you can watch the prequel beginning with episode three and lose nothing really.
Part of why I can't get into the CLONE WARS TV show is because the very concept of the war itself is a farce. I can't watch it without thinking "this is all bullshit, Palpatine's behind both sides so there's no drama". It doesn't help that the war is being fought between droids and clones as if Lucas wanted to take the most bloodless route possible, especially when it shows Coruscant still thriving as if it's not suffering from the war, even when it's right above orbit.

It would have infinitely been more interesting if Dooku was actually genuine in his stance with the separatists because he recognized the Republic had been corrupted by a Sith lord and the Jedi couldn't see it. But once it's revealed he was working under Palpatine, and that the other separatists consist of evil Trade Federation leaders there's nothing left.
ACtually that is correct, he only did droids because he didn't want jedi cutting up people.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 am ACtually that is correct, he only did droids because he didn't want jedi cutting up people.
Yeah, I think that worked fine in TPM for pacing. Gotta get the Queen out for a swift escape, so just make the guards droids.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

2. Star Wars - 9/10
3. The Last Jedi - 8/10
Gonna include the Thrawn Trilogy in this but here's my ranking.

A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Heir to the Empire and The Last Command - 10
Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi and Dark Force Rising - 8
The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and The Force Awakens - 7
The Last Jedi - 4
Rise of Skywalker - 2 and a half
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:47 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 am ACtually that is correct, he only did droids because he didn't want jedi cutting up people.
Yeah, I think that worked fine in TPM for pacing. Gotta get the Queen out for a swift escape, so just make the guards droids.
Yes because a film with a 15 minute racing scene having the twi train knights with super powers and each a sword that cut through anything, best a human guard would have taken so long.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:26 am
Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:47 am
Yes because a film with a 15 minute racing scene having the twi train knights with super powers and each a sword that cut through anything, best a human guard would have taken so long.
I meant more in the sense that you can cut through the droids and not give it much thought.

Of all the complaints about TPM, the length of the pod race never bothered me. It wasn't even longer than the speeder chase in ROTJ. Though I don't like the additional stuff Lucas added to the DVD release and beyond. The theatrical cut of the race was fine as it was.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yes but that race felt like it had stakes.