VOY - Displaced

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

VOY - Displaced

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

..What mirror universe? ;/
Sir Will
Officer

Re: VOY - Displaced

Post by Sir Will »

While I agree the first half is better than the second, I still quite like this episode overall.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's a great buildup. Such a good job with the benign entrance with the stark realization of what's going on coming up naturally.
..What mirror universe? ;/
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

You can really apply the load bearing bad guy award retroactively to a lot of Voyager episodes. Persistence of Vision's lame villain might even be the poster child for this more than the ones in displaced, an antagonist so asinine that "just cuz" is literally the extent of his motivation.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Always amusing to picture what SG-1 would do in a situation where Starfleet's finest Redshirts are failing. In this case, I feel as if Chakotay's method of sabotaging the ship has merit, but with C4 plastic explosive instead. And some claymore mines in the Jefferies tubes. And P90 a couple of dudes instead of running away. Beam a couple of hand grenades onto the bridge perhaps?

Hell, forget SG-1, what about when Sisko abandoned DS9 and had a ''destroy all consoles'' command so that the Cardassians wouldn't be able to use the station for a while? There's no need to manually sabotage the ship. I mean... did these idiots learn NOTHING from ''Basics''? Hello! Idiots! ''Voyager'' is third in strength only to the Borg and the dinosaurs when it comes to this part of the Delta Quadrant. ''Needs of the Many'' should dictate some better precautions.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Chuck makes a good argument for why this episode was better as a Voyager story than a modern trek story. One and done, and outta there; without any need for a "big bad" of a wangstfest ongoing slog. Voyager was doing one thing right, even if it did a lot of things wrong.

Edit: Aside from The Best of Both Worlds, and the loose trilogy of the Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and Voyage Home, Star Trek's weakest episodes have been its multipart stories. Even DS9's final season fizzled out before the end, and that is disregarding the jammed in holodeck stories too.
Last edited by CrypticMirror on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ixthos
Officer

Post by Ixthos »

Sir Will wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:36 pm While I agree the first half is better than the second, I still quite like this episode overall.
Ditto. Also, there are now 16 episodes of Voyager left that Chuck hasn't reviewed.
Last edited by Ixthos on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

What I think about most in regards to this episode is how fortunate these aliens were that it was VOYAGER they ran across. I remember thinking at the time, "What the hell would these guys have done if they had run across a Borg ship? Or even a Hirogen ship?"
Ixthos
Officer

Post by Ixthos »

Linkara wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:37 pm What I think about most in regards to this episode is how fortunate these aliens were that it was VOYAGER they ran across. I remember thinking at the time, "What the hell would these guys have done if they had run across a Borg ship? Or even a Hirogen ship?"
Indeed! Also if they had run across Species 8472 ... or Vidiians ... the Delta Quadrant is home to a rather large assortment of kill-first-repurpose-corpse-later species.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Linkara wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:37 pm What I think about most in regards to this episode is how fortunate these aliens were that it was VOYAGER they ran across. I remember thinking at the time, "What the hell would these guys have done if they had run across a Borg ship? Or even a Hirogen ship?"
Agree.