(Voy): Nemesis

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
GandALF
Officer

Re: (Voy): Nemesis

Post by GandALF »

Maybe this is a rare case of Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development in the TNG era?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

i vaguely remember seeing this episode when it first aired, but i think i only saw the second half, because i don't remember the twist being spoiled beforehand. not to say that i was particularly surprised by it, even still.

i do remember enjoying the the dialogue a lot though; it's always fun for me when writers try to get creative in playing with the language. but then i'm the kind of sodding pretentious veck who'll govoreet in the ol' nadsat all hound and horney like, just for the sladky fun of it, regardless if you gloopy lewdies that can't pony my chepooka.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

On the idea that maybe these were originally going to be the Hirogen but were changed to avoid a law suit; make-upwise at least, weren't the Nausican's already knock-off Predators? Or was it just a combo of that with the hunter hat that made the suits nervous?
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Dînadan wrote:On the idea that maybe these were originally going to be the Hirogen but were changed to avoid a law suit; make-upwise at least, weren't the Nausican's already knock-off Predators? Or was it just a combo of that with the hunter hat that made the suits nervous?
Yes they were, when I first saw this episode years ago I thought the nemesis aliens might actually be Nausicans.

Good lord, I forgot how bad this episode was, it's a contender for the worst one of Season 4. Also, I forget, does Seven ever turn up or do anything in this one.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

About ten years ago I decided to marathon everything Star Trek that Netflix had at the time(TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voyage, Enterprise and the movies up to Nemesis), so I know I've seen every episode of every Star Trek show ever to that point. But it still always amazes me when SFDebris pulls out an episode to review that I have absolutely no memory of whatsoever. I don't know if that has to do with episode quality or if I'm just getting old.

As for the episode, yeah, it looks ok. The plot twist was pretty damn obvious. I think it would've been more interesting if it just turned out that both sides were war crime committing jerks and by complete accident Janeway and Chakotay just managed to befriend opposite sides who managed to keep them both in the dark. I know, not all that original either, but the ending would've felt like less of a copout.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Sigh, Star Trek just can't get a good thing out with the word Nemesis in the title. Ah well, at least now I now the aliens weren't Nausicans. I swear that's who I thought they were when I first saw this. Ah well, it could have been worse, they could have called themselves Klingons... effing Abramsverse hairless violent apes.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I've honestly always had a soft spot for this episode. I think it's because it actually connects to the interesting part of Chakotay's characterization: the man who left starfleet to become a rebel fighter for a cause he deemed noble. They can't pretend that he's a space hippy in this episode like they did in some others, and it does make sense.

Regarding the dialogue, I honestly wonder if this is a case where Biller was completely aware he couldn't actually write the dialogue well enough to get the viewer engaged with the Vori, so he used a gimmick. The fact that the viewer is forced to decipher the words they're using actually forces a bit of mental engagement. That will keep you at least invested in what's happening up until you reach the payoff.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote:About ten years ago I decided to marathon everything Star Trek that Netflix had at the time(TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voyage, Enterprise and the movies up to Nemesis), so I know I've seen every episode of every Star Trek show ever to that point. But it still always amazes me when SFDebris pulls out an episode to review that I have absolutely no memory of whatsoever. I don't know if that has to do with episode quality or if I'm just getting old.
The non memory thing is kind of easy for me to believe. Marathons of shows that are all (more or less) stand alone means that unimportant info gets mentally flushed. Characters stay with you, but not individual plots.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Capt Dunsel
Redshirt

Post by Capt Dunsel »

I cogitate that never did i gandertake this install, but as equitably healthy, it is handicapable seeming.
Besides, Nemesis is planet forbidden.