VOY - Displaced

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: VOY - Displaced

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pmThen there is Voyager. Its liberal as it has a female captain back when that was actually something rare, and yet it also has Seven of Nine who wore one of the most infamously and shamelessly sexist outfits in the history of television. And I will only deem that to be an unfair description when you find me a man wearing that outfit complete with padded crotch.

Also, I never understood the problem people had with Seven of Nine. Was she dressed like that for sex-appeal? Yes. But the character was, from the get-go, far more than just her sex-appeal. Focusing on that aspect alone, strikes me as a wierdly underhanded sex-negative view of women. A female character isn't good or bad, just because the character is sexy. It's the exact same as people dismissing women just because they wear skimpy outfits or makeup. The value of a person isn't decided by their styling-choices...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think for those historical context for the middle two, yes they did that because that was part of fashion at the time, something that doesn't apply to seven of nine.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pm I think for those historical context for the middle two, yes they did that because that was part of fashion at the time, something that doesn't apply to seven of nine.
Why or, rather: How?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I think we need to see a lot more pictures of Bowie and his Area before we can make decision on him, a lot more. Anyone else remember The David Bowie Church of Areaology from the Geocities era? I know I'll never forget.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:58 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pm I think for those historical context for the middle two, yes they did that because that was part of fashion at the time, something that doesn't apply to seven of nine.
Why or, rather: How?
How does anything comes into fashion. Plus we don't see any other goblin in that movie so it could be something normal for the race. MEanwhile in star trek, 7 pf 9 is the only person to wear that monsteriousity because Rick Bermans was a pervert and a horrible person.
9ansean
Officer

Post by 9ansean »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pmThen there is Voyager. Its liberal as it has a female captain back when that was actually something rare, and yet it also has Seven of Nine who wore one of the most infamously and shamelessly sexist outfits in the history of television. And I will only deem that to be an unfair description when you find me a man wearing that outfit complete with padded crotch.

Also, I never understood the problem people had with Seven of Nine. Was she dressed like that for sex-appeal? Yes. But the character was, from the get-go, far more than just her sex-appeal. Focusing on that aspect alone, strikes me as a wierdly underhanded sex-negative view of women. A female character isn't good or bad, just because the character is sexy. It's the exact same as people dismissing women just because they wear skimpy outfits or makeup. The value of a person isn't decided by their styling-choices...
Linkara provided a pretty good response to this all to common defense of how women are depicted in media (specifically his complaints are aimed are drawing comics but it applies to other media too). It's about midway through this review of Marvel's Comic Book Swimsuit Issues. http://atopthefourthwall.com/comic-book ... it-issues/

In short, wearing reveling outfits is not the problem. The problem is that more often when women are dressed that way to be ogled. When men are given similar outfits, it's usual played for laughs or mean to suggest virility.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

David Bowie is wearing that outfit by choice; Jeri Ryan wasn't. And as for those old fashions, I think it is quite hard for us in the 21st century to picture what it was like to live 500 years ago. It was a true patriarchal society in which having your dick out was a power move. ''I'm a man, i'm large, I can fuck you.'' Indeed, Henry VIII is said to have worn one because his dick was so shrivelled and diseased from syphilis that it kept him looking impressive.

That leaves Superman, and like 9ansean and Linkara pointed out, his padding is there to emphasise his power and strength. Seven's padding is there to get the male audience playing with themselves. THAT is what makes it sexist.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pm It amuses me that when they came to update Uhura for the reboot they made her a nagging shrew who interrupts missions to talk about her relationship and is actually a bit of a violent bitch. Is that liberalism? Is that what 50 years of feminism has led us? An Uhura who in many ways is far less professional than one made in the 1960s?
The best upgrade they gave Uhura was that she was a linguist, which makes perfect sense for a communications officer on a ship that makes contact with aliens. I would have assumed she already was in TOS, but then TUC just had to make a silly gag with her not knowing how to speak Klingon.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:58 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pm It amuses me that when they came to update Uhura for the reboot they made her a nagging shrew who interrupts missions to talk about her relationship and is actually a bit of a violent bitch. Is that liberalism? Is that what 50 years of feminism has led us? An Uhura who in many ways is far less professional than one made in the 1960s?
The best upgrade they gave Uhura was that she was a linguist, which makes perfect sense for a communications officer on a ship that makes contact with aliens. I would have assumed she already was in TOS, but then TUC just had to make a silly gag with her not knowing how to speak Klingon.
Oh I agree. Original Uhura was strangely bad at her job. Especially as Klingon really should be the one language that she knows given the whole cold war thing that was going on at the time. That was one thing ENT did right in that Hoshi was shown actively trying to translate alien languages.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

9ansean wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:13 am
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm

Linkara provided a pretty good response to this all to common defense of how women are depicted in media (specifically his complaints are aimed are drawing comics but it applies to other media too). It's about midway through this review of Marvel's Comic Book Swimsuit Issues. http://atopthefourthwall.com/comic-book ... it-issues/

In short, wearing reveling outfits is not the problem. The problem is that more often when women are dressed that way to be ogled. When men are given similar outfits, it's usual played for laughs or mean to suggest virility.
I do wonder if the whole superman thing there was just Snyder being insecure about his sexuality again.