VOY - Displaced

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Re: VOY - Displaced

Post by Fianna »

Here's what I don't get:

Yes, Seven's outfit is very tight, which was done to emphasize her breasts. But so was Kira's on Deep Space Nine, yet I never see anyone complain about that one.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think that one we haven't gotten report that Kira outfit was hurting the actress, two that might have been a cultural thing, meanwhile there is no reason that a fotmer borg would dress like that.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

ALL of the female uniforms have been tight. Look at Hoshi in and out of uniform. Which I have to say, only confirms my accusation of sexism. Star Trek has aged piss poor when it comes to costumes.

Incidentally, on the ''liberal V conservative'' argument, TNG season 1 had men in skirts. Given how we are now in the era of non-binary crewmembers, I rather think that may have flown very well in progressive circles now. I have to say that I have no problem with the skirts whatsoever. Seems like a truly liberal society would get rid of such a stupid double standard.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yes, but 7 is not from the federation she wouldn't be as okay with such an impractical design.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

website description wrote: gives us good reason why we need somoene smart around to figure out problems.
Emphasis mine. What a bad time for a typo.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah Star Trek has many good aspects but wardrobe design is not one of them. Ever notice how much Picard adjusts the collar of his uniform to get more comfortable in early TNG?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:59 am Yeah Star Trek has many good aspects but wardrobe design is not one of them. Ever notice how much Picard adjusts the collar of his uniform to get more comfortable in early TNG?
It worst than that, according to reports it damage the actor spine.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Holy freaking Hecate @_@ what the frell
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

He got better
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

9ansean wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:13 am
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pmThen there is Voyager. Its liberal as it has a female captain back when that was actually something rare, and yet it also has Seven of Nine who wore one of the most infamously and shamelessly sexist outfits in the history of television. And I will only deem that to be an unfair description when you find me a man wearing that outfit complete with padded crotch.

Also, I never understood the problem people had with Seven of Nine. Was she dressed like that for sex-appeal? Yes. But the character was, from the get-go, far more than just her sex-appeal. Focusing on that aspect alone, strikes me as a wierdly underhanded sex-negative view of women. A female character isn't good or bad, just because the character is sexy. It's the exact same as people dismissing women just because they wear skimpy outfits or makeup. The value of a person isn't decided by their styling-choices...
Linkara provided a pretty good response to this all to common defense of how women are depicted in media (specifically his complaints are aimed are drawing comics but it applies to other media too). It's about midway through this review of Marvel's Comic Book Swimsuit Issues. http://atopthefourthwall.com/comic-book ... it-issues/

In short, wearing reveling outfits is not the problem. The problem is that more often when women are dressed that way to be ogled. When men are given similar outfits, it's usual played for laughs or mean to suggest virility.
Sexiness is always a sign of virility or in women fertility. Men aren't attracted to feminine curves because they like fat when positioned in a certain way, they like it because our brains are hardwired to seek out females with characteristics associated with fertility. All sex-appeal for both genders is based on our instinctual understanding of what will lead to the strongest/smartest offspring.