A Criticism of the Prequel Trilogy That Kinda Bugs Me

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: A Criticism of the Prequel Trilogy That Kinda Bugs Me

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:56 am
You really like She-Ra.

The Sequel Trilogy's biggest flaw is the incoherent storyline from one movie to the other. The PT and OT at least has that. And the thing it's not like each movie in those two trilogies are deeply connected to each other.
Concurred.

I at least feel like there was a lack of creative oversight, everything being constant with how the OT' came about.
..What mirror universe? ;/
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 am
You really like She-Ra.

The Sequel Trilogy's biggest flaw is the incoherent storyline from one movie to the other. The PT and OT at least has that. And the thing it's not like each movie in those two trilogies are deeply connected to each other.
Concurred.

I at least feel like there was a lack of creative oversight, everything being constant with how the OT' came about.
One of my favorite videos on this site is Chuck's video documentary about how the original trilogy came about behind the scenes. I knew probably most of it, but he did in a way to make you really think about how much effort was to hammer down the scripts, the characters, the story and even the look of the movies.

The Sequel Trilogy on the other hand, started off good. TFA started off good and established what is to come even if it was a carbon copy of ANH. Then it went off the rails.

TFA was certainly no masterpiece and his it's own issues. Specifically Rey, Abrams brand of storytelling and visuals (being able to see multiple planets being blown up in one shot for example).
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 am
You really like She-Ra.

Concurred.

One of my favorite videos on this site is Chuck's video documentary about how the original trilogy came about behind the scenes. I knew probably most of it, but he did in a way to make you really think about how much effort was to hammer down the scripts, the characters, the story and even the look of the movies.

The Sequel Trilogy on the other hand, started off good. TFA started off good and established what is to come even if it was a carbon copy of ANH. Then it went off the rails.

TFA was certainly no masterpiece and his it's own issues. Specifically Rey, Abrams brand of storytelling and visuals (being able to see multiple planets being blown up in one shot for example).
Abrams is really good with establishing momentum. It's something I can't really fault in Rise of Skywalker, which felt like a competent Indiana Jones movie.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 am
You really like She-Ra.

Concurred.

Abrams is really good with establishing momentum. It's something I can't really fault in Rise of Skywalker, which felt like a competent Indiana Jones movie.
He is good with that, but for me that momentum was too fast. Maybe it was designed that way so you couldn't dwell on one scene too long before the next one comes up.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:56 am You really like She-Ra.
It's a great show, it's got heroism, betrayal, random musical numbers and true loves saves the day. What's not to like? :D
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 amOne of my favorite videos on this site is Chuck's video documentary about how the original trilogy came about behind the scenes. I knew probably most of it, but he did in a way to make you really think about how much effort was to hammer down the scripts, the characters, the story and even the look of the movies.

I think it's just an attempt to make a distinctive movie in kind to how the original trilogy handled its third movie. I can't say much in the way of JJ Abrams coming in as a more fielded director like Marquand, though Kennedy structuring the idea for Palpatine to be the initiative conflict in the movie is pretty capsizing to the creative scope of the direction.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:36 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 amOne of my favorite videos on this site is Chuck's video documentary about how the original trilogy came about behind the scenes. I knew probably most of it, but he did in a way to make you really think about how much effort was to hammer down the scripts, the characters, the story and even the look of the movies.

I think it's just an attempt to make a distinctive movie in kind to how the original trilogy handled its third movie. I can't say much in the way of JJ Abrams coming in as a more fielded director like Marquand, though Kennedy structuring the idea for Palpatine to be the initiative conflict in the movie is pretty capsizing to the creative scope of the direction.
I do agree with that one of the criticisms of the Return of the Jedi is sort of like A New Hope in that it has a Death Star. But that's where the similarities end. No discovery of a farmboy, or an adventure that makes them stumble on the Death Stat itself.

To me, the Sequel Trilogy is just an utter failure top to bottom.

Prequel Trilogy without a doubt has its own issues. And we all know that and probably would have been better if Lucas didn't direct and more people polish the scripts.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Winter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:14 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:56 am You really like She-Ra.
It's a great show, it's got heroism, betrayal, random musical numbers and true loves saves the day. What's not to like? :D
Never watched the new one. Watched the original when I was a kid.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:59 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:36 am

I do agree with that one of the criticisms of the Return of the Jedi is sort of like A New Hope in that it has a Death Star. But that's where the similarities end. No discovery of a farmboy, or an adventure that makes them stumble on the Death Stat itself.

To me, the Sequel Trilogy is just an utter failure top to bottom.

Prequel Trilogy without a doubt has its own issues. And we all know that and probably would have been better if Lucas didn't direct and more people polish the scripts.
The nature of similar nuance between the trilogies production history is only going to be so consistent over 35 years. That being said, yeah looking into the approach of RotJ very seriously is pretty silly.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

I think this is actually what doomed the whole enterprise. Starting off being like "Let's start off just like A New Hope" leaves the next movie nothing to do. Was Rey supposed to just do the Luke and Yoda thing, then run off to save her friends before her training was complete, so that Ren could reveal the secret of her parentage while cutting off one of her hands?

It would be a stupid joke. A sequel trilogy that is just the exact beats of the original but with better VFX and more diversity is obscene. It is the death of efforts to make new art.

Rey having to deal with her parents being no one of importance is far better than "they were members of this powerful force user family" crap we got.

Rise of Skywalker was somehow worse than even the Prequels.