The CW DC "universe" (Smallville, Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
lsgreg
Officer

Re: The CW DC "universe" (Smallville, Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning)

Post by lsgreg »

Okay, I am waiting for Matt Ryan to reprise his role as Constantine. He made an appearance in an Episode of Arrow so he is part of the "Arrowverse". The show got canceled just as it made a huge plot twist. The Rumor is that CW is making a Cartoon series to continue the Season 1 plotline.
Last edited by lsgreg on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsgreg
Officer

Re: The CW DC "universe" (Smallville, Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning)

Post by lsgreg »

Update. Just read that Matt Ryan's John Constantine will make an appearance in Season 3 of Legends!
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Crowley wrote:I watched some of Arrow, and I kept constantly thinking: Why are they doing everything they can to turn Green Arrow into Batman? Why is this not an actual Batman show?
Raj A Ghul and Deathstroke are Batman villains. Taken that Deathstroke later became a mainstay of the Suicide Squad, but I don't remember in any of the Green Arrow comics where he faced off with Deathstroke. But I noticed that Oliver Queen acts more like Batman/Bruce Wayne in the series.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Crowley wrote:I watched some of Arrow, and I kept constantly thinking: Why are they doing everything they can to turn Green Arrow into Batman? Why is this not an actual Batman show?
I'm guessing they weren't allowed to make a Batman show for some reason (likely related to a combo of the DCCU films and Gotham), similar to how the Justice League cartoons could hardly ever use Batman characters other than Bats himself due to the Bat-embargo.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

The Arrow is basically Batman without it being Batman and that's the problem. It hasn't been allowed to be its own show without it being classic Batman.

For a while, the rivalry between The Flash and Arrow is basically Superman vs Batman. But Supergirl isn't Batman,
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

excalibur wrote:The Arrow is basically Batman without it being Batman and that's the problem. It hasn't been allowed to be its own show without it being classic Batman.,
To be fair I think it's been mentioned in the comics themselves that Green Arrow is a knock-off Batman. Iirc there one comic where Batman says something like "Arrowmobile, Arrow Cave, God man have you ever had an original idea?"
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Dînadan wrote:
excalibur wrote:The Arrow is basically Batman without it being Batman and that's the problem. It hasn't been allowed to be its own show without it being classic Batman.,
To be fair I think it's been mentioned in the comics themselves that Green Arrow is a knock-off Batman. Iirc there one comic where Batman says something like "Arrowmobile, Arrow Cave, God man have you ever had an original idea?"
To be fair. I think Daredevil, Midnighter, Blue Beetle, Owlman, Green Arrow, and Hawkeye are all Batman Knockoffs. I am sure I have missed dozens. Almost as much as the Superman knockoffs.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Supergirl was...well, something I could tolerate with the help of some beer for the first season. Every crossover and "go HERE for the next part of the story!" only increases my spiteful desire NOT to watch The Flash. I mean, I deal with enough of this gremplork from the comics, I don't need it in related media.

Supergirl Season 2 I liked more, although I would prefer them to stop ripping off The Thing quite so much. Gonna be honest, that is mostly because of The Gay (tm) and I still ship Supergirl x Lena Luthor. A lot of stale tropes get more interesting when you add gay. The first season had so much of the paint-by-numbers cishet love triangle bullshit.

Also, I'd really like Kryptonians to be biologically different from humans in some significant ways, even when they're depowered. It's not just a different culture, it's a whole species that, genetically speaking, has less in common with us than we do with oak trees. One thing that would go a long way is finding out Kryptonian cis women have ovipositors or something.

The finale was decent, but the "nevertheless she persisted" titling was just...ugh, a lot more Trying Too Hard. It didn't really have any thematic relevance to the actual story.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

The Kara/Lena shippers are becoming the new Korrasami, it seems. Just without the indications that the creators are on their side (indeed, this past summer the actor for Mon-El seems to have gone out of his way to declare "they're just friends!").

I have mixed feelings about pretty much all of the series, save for Arrow which I watched on Netflix up through Season 2 before dropping it at Season 3 like a bad habit. I'll still try to follow them, but I can take only so much CW relationship angst before I need a break.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Thalolli
Redshirt

Post by Thalolli »

It was the actor of Winn I believe, not the actor of Mon-El. Personally, I don't like Lena and Kara that much, I thought her relationship with Cat Grant in season 1 was much deeper and more believable. And it bothers me when people seem to ignore the actual lesbian storyline of the show with Alex just to fawn over Lena because she is hotter. I don't mean that lesbian fans have to like her just because she's a lesbian, but it bugs me when some fans act like the show is homophobic for not giving them the specific character who hits their personal tastes.

I thought the season premiere of Supergirl was okay, really enjoyed Nathan from Heroes. I wanted to see more of the new villain.

Legends is still the most entertaining of the DC CW shows to me, even if it makes no sense. Very happy to read that Constantine might be stopping by.
A lot of stale tropes get more interesting when you add gay
I think bad writing is bad writing, regardless of whether it's gay or straight.