Superman to be cast with a black actor.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by Makeshift Python »

Maybe in this reboot Pa Kent will be a radical leftist instead of a Randian nut job.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Winter wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:06 am
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 pm Apparently Will Smith was seriously considered for the role 20 years ago, but the racist reaction to him being in "Wild Wild West" convinced him not to take the part, which is a damn shame because the easy going charisma of Smith who is also good at selling the, "I am a man apart and lonely" angle would have made for a good presentation of the character.
True story, a couple of days ago I was looking over films that were coming out this year and I saw the title for a upcoming film called King Richard and I clicked on it thinking it was about Richard III. The story has apparently nothing to do with Shakespeare's Richard but the first thing I saw was an image of Will Smith and I thought to myself "Hm, you know, I could totally see Smith as Richard."

Sure, it might have be moved out of history but the original play was a propaganda piece meant to making the then current leaders look bad by demonizing their rivals so I would be okay with it still being set in history. But Smith could pull this character off. Richard has to be charismatic, intimidating and finally near Melancholia and Smith can pull all of that off. This such a perfect fit I'm honestly surprised no one has ever thought of it before.
Mr. Smith would have been a new, interesting take on Superman, I'll say that! I'd have been curious to see how that looked. I can't see him in the classic vein of Superman so much as a reinterpretation similar to the DCEU.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

So Captain Crimson says that hiring a black person is going to lead to an inferior movie. Good to know.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:34 am So Captain Crimson says that hiring a black person is going to lead to an inferior movie. Good to know.
Not the case at all.

I actually liked the DCEU. I know it's polarizing, but I see potential there the suits destroyed with all their meddling. I think Mr. Cavil was a great new take on Superman, they just needed a lot more to work with.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Cavill just needed better filmmakers. It gets awkward when a film that's supposed to be about a selfless savior is being written and directed by a guy that has an Ayn Rand ideology.

For as awful as the CGI lip was, I thought Cavill NAILED the classic Superman in the Whedon shot footage. Like, for once Cavil as Superman in that last third of JL seemed to actually LOVE being Superman. THAT is what we should have had! That's the aspirational aspect that made Superman do endearing. I dunno why WB insisted on making Superman a glum and dour loner in SUPERMAN RETURNS and MAN OF STEEL/BATMAN v SUPERMAN.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm more curious about Darkseid in the snyder cut. It's apparently a whole nother movie.
..What mirror universe?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Kind of like how there's two completely different EXORCIST 4s.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Makeshift Python I am just going to say, I will believe it when there a trailer.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:54 am Maybe in this reboot Pa Kent will be a radical leftist instead of a Randian nut job.
I am kind of waiting for a Superman movie that is a love letter to the Kents.
Like the animated series episode "Father's Day". Or Action Comics' "Escape from Bizarro World" (a good 3 part story).
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/action-c ... 00-113996/

I can picture what I would do for the pre-credits opener quite clearly showing the Kents getting Kal El out of the rocket. But then I also have a good idea for what I would do for a whole movie. It is a shame I am just a hobby blogger and not a professional script writer.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Captain Crimson
Captain

Something I want to observe. There's also a world of difference between "racist" and just a typical fanboy who doesn't like changes or retcons. Don't have to be racist to feel that way.