Superman to be cast with a black actor.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Beelzquill
Officer

Re: Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by Beelzquill »

You know the 78 superman depicted Pa Kent pretty well all things considered, then again that was like 43 years ago.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

One more observation. I think who they likely to get to play black Superman, Mr. Jordan, is great. I've seen the actor speak, he's on point, he's a comic book guy, and I think he gels in the vein of classic Superman humility. I have no objection to him, even if I'd prefer another black actor to play Superman, in all honesty. Mr. Brooks of DS9 would be another good choice, IMO. I'd hope Mr. Jordan would bulk up for the role, similar to what Mr. Bale did for BB, but past that, I think Mr. Jordan could do a fine job. He would give a solid performance, whether as Clark Kent or Calvin Ellis.

Problem is he is NOT going to be writing for the character. At all. Who is? Some fringe nut who talked trash about 9/11 first responders, and... I couldn't help but wonder, when I read that... is he crazy? Seriously! Not even joking! Mr. Coates is just babbling wacked nonsense about brave people pulling victims out of the rubble, which includes minorities, saving lives and trying to keep chaos from exploding, being oppressors trying to shatter his body or something, and... it's just gonna be woke as H. And black Superman could work. But I don't like the idea of a character "lecturing" another on their privilege. They are doubling down on hamfisted identity politics. And when fans call this out, they're going to call them racist. Sales will dip, but that won't stop them from preaching on the pulpit. I see the way the game is going.

This is the way DC is going RN.

Imagine if some white guy said of black people, "They weren't human to me?" Think there would be a significant reaction?

I know, that's all you SJWs want. To lecture people and shove their own "racism" in their faces. This is not about story and character and plot. It's activism. You want to get social themes trending and have a national discussion on race and gender. I've seen it said over and over, and there is certainly room for improvement, everyone sees this. But this is baiting, feels like. And it's just dumb business, which may be the point. Yet if we're going to reject American racists, that apparently doesn't fly when it comes to Chinese racists. What the Chinese government wants you to think their population is like.

When are we going to stop hiring people based on their ideological viewpoint, place of birth, skin color, gender, and who they feel like humping? Mr. Coates has never worked on the screen whether TV or cinema past a documentary he did on his book. I don't know, to quote the SW movies, "I have a bad feeling about this..."
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Beelzquill wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 am You know the 78 superman depicted Pa Kent pretty well all things considered, then again that was like 43 years ago.
Such a small but very impactful performance by Glenn Ford. I think he’s only there for like a good five minutes, but what a five minutes.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 am You know the 78 superman depicted Pa Kent pretty well all things considered, then again that was like 43 years ago.
Such a small but very impactful performance by Glenn Ford. I think he’s only there for like a good five minutes, but what a five minutes.
Plus his death didn't seem like a scheme to mess with his son mind after he gone.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Beelzquill wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:36 am I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. J.J. Abrams being involved isn't really a positive thing for me though he is just producing.
The destruction of Krypton scene is going to be awesome if Abrams is involved, if nothing else he knows how to blow up a planet.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

That is one of the reasons why I'm neutral on the whole "Kents alive or dead" argument, on one hand having them alive is a charming image of a man with almost godlike powers visiting his parents for a slice of apple pie, on the other killing at least one of them in his pre-Superman years would be an effective dramatic development for the character, making him realize despite his powers he can't perform miracles, which is why Jonathan's death in Man of Steel doesn't really work.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BBally81 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:18 pm
That is one of the reasons why I'm neutral on the whole "Kents alive or dead" argument, on one hand having them alive is a charming image of a man with almost godlike powers visiting his parents for a slice of apple pie, on the other killing at least one of them in his pre-Superman years would be an effective dramatic development for the character, making him realize despite his powers he can't perform miracles, which is why Jonathan's death in Man of Steel doesn't really work.
Yes, they really screw over pa character
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:04 pm
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:36 am I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. J.J. Abrams being involved isn't really a positive thing for me though he is just producing.
The destruction of Krypton scene is going to be awesome if Abrams is involved, if nothing else he knows how to blow up a planet.
Abrams could make a whole movie or two out of that.
Power laces... alright.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

Ta-Nehisi Coates did interesting stuff with his Black Panther run. I imagine he will be either bringing in Clavin Ellis from Earth-27, think Obama and Superman being the same person and written by someone with a positive view of Obama of course, or he will have Cavil's Superman meet Steel.

I am hoping for Superman: Men of Steel (get it, the plural of Man of Steel) will have Steel being a big time character. John Henry Irons is a fantastic character based on an African-American folk hero. They could even try to get Shaq to do a cameo for stupid marketing and fan appeal reasons.

Steel is also a character who toy companies can make using the same tools that would go into Iron Man toys. Plus Marvel just killed off their Iron Man so if DC can get their Steel man popular before Iron Man comes back, that would be some corporate boardroom win I assume.