The Orville Marathon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The Orville Marathon

Post by Darth Wedgius »

And another thing, shouldn't Admiral Marcus have waited to have more of those battleships... Sorry, force of habit.

I think I liked "Into the Fold" more than Chuck, even if it was somewhat by-the-numbers. I think it was a nice character piece, with an outsider looking at a family dynamic. I think the child actors did a really good job for their ages, certainly compared to Wesley Crusher or most of the kid cast of "Rascals." And I think they continue to do nice work with Isaac.

And what the spider said made me laugh out loud. :D
Last edited by Darth Wedgius on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:36 pm And what the spider said made me laugh out loud. :D
"You should eat Harry."

In all honesty I would love to see a cut with "You should eat Harry" being said with all the spiders on the walls.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

It seems to me that the show to compare this to when talking about tone and how the comedy comes second, would be The Adventures of Brisco County Jr..
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Honestly I find "artificial construct" to be MORE of a let down than "it was all a dream". Especially since the "dream" option including psychic alien influence or whatever.

The doctors' speech about the emptiness of space was fantastic and super creepy.

Alara should probably be fired for running that simulation. Saying that "nobody got hurt" shouldn't apply to a situation where she wiped her own memory and then proceeded to traumatise herself. Realistically she might be LESS effective for what she went through rather than more- this is why PTSD is not a requirement for promotion in real life militaries.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Haven't watched all the videos yet, but it looks like he skipped over the date-rape episode. I guess even Chuck didn't want to deal with that one.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Pria has some nice Mass Effect clothes.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:33 pm Haven't watched all the videos yet, but it looks like he skipped over the date-rape episode. I guess even Chuck didn't want to deal with that one.
I was really hoping for him to tear that one apart. :(
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

If that's episode 9 he promises to get to it eventually. He wanted to deal with it separately.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Probably going to hit the date rape episode on its own for a more proper look.

Orville for me was pleasant surprise when it came out, light sci-fi with some comedic elements that is a welcome relief from all the Neo-BSG clones. Seems like some sci-fi thinks you have to be dark and edgy with unlikable characters to be successful. I don't know if the Orville is more Trek then Trek but I certainly enjoy it more the STD.

If there was one complaint I would have about the show is using too much modern pop culture and entertainment. Every bit of Earth entertainment shown being from around the year 2000 seems just as bad as Trek with its everything before the 1950s, is there no contemporary entertainment in those universes (atleast none that I can recall)? Enjoying stuff from the past is fine but it'd be cool to occasionally see something from their own time periods to show that culture didn't stagnate after some time period.
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:33 pm Haven't watched all the videos yet, but it looks like he skipped over the date-rape episode. I guess even Chuck didn't want to deal with that one.
Got a feeling he'll be doing that one in 361 days' time.

Or, even better, in 47 days' time. :mrgreen: