This site would be way more fun in the naughties...

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Admiral X
Captain

Re: This site would be way more fun in the naughties...

Post by Admiral X »

I had cable thanks to the university, but since most people had slower internet, there were still plenty of people complaining about in-line images and streaming videos. I got into the BBS scene back in 2003 or so IIRC.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am I had cable thanks to the university, but since most people had slower internet, there were still plenty of people complaining about in-line images and streaming videos. I got into the BBS scene back in 2003 or so IIRC.
I woulda thought universities in general were fitted with T1 lines. Though now in days even T3 seems to be a bit dated, at least as far as downstreams.
..What mirror universe?
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Eh, things would have been pretty political around 2002-2005 or so (Iraq). Perhaps less so in the late naughties. Certainly I did a lot with politics in the early 2000s.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

G-Man wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 am Eh, things would have been pretty political around 2002-2005 or so (Iraq). Perhaps less so in the late naughties. Certainly I did a lot with politics in the early 2000s.
Even 9/11 changed outlooks quite a bit.
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

G-Man wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 am Eh, things would have been pretty political around 2002-2005 or so (Iraq). Perhaps less so in the late naughties. Certainly I did a lot with politics in the early 2000s.
That is solid serious politics, not this racial, gender and sexual identity stuff we have now.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

I started posting on Spacebattles.com back in April 1999, with dialup. I remember my dialup chugging valiantly to download mp3s from FTP sites and Napster, or the multi-minute lag in an audio/text chat we SBers were using in early 2000 called IPARTY.

*sigh* Thanks, now I feel old.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wow, SpaceBattles is that old? That said, best VS site I know of.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:30 am
The whole political climate for the everyday citizen shifted drastically with Bush Jr. and 9/11. The divisions which had been growing became stark and pulled quite far apart.

That combined with the increasingly entertainment-driven nature of for-profit news and the 24-hour news channels have made it a constant topic.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:30 am
The whole political climate for the everyday citizen shifted drastically with Bush Jr. and 9/11. The divisions which had been growing became stark and pulled quite far apart.

That combined with the increasingly entertainment-driven nature of for-profit news and the 24-hour news channels have made it a constant topic.
Didn't Vietnam have a pretty big social effect?
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:38 am Didn't Vietnam have a pretty big social effect?
On the internet?