Carnage of Krell Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AllanO
Officer

Re: Carnage of Krell Review

Post by AllanO »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:21 pm If there was one thing I had to criticize about this episode, it's that the way Krell starts the firefight between the Clones doesn't make sense. They get a distress signal and we see a Hologram of a Clone saying Umbarans had stolen the clone armor, so Krell sends Rex and co. out and they end up firing at the 212th boys...so what happened to those Umbarans? Krell manipulated this to happen, I guess he could have freed some of the prisoners offscreen, but what about that Clone in the hologram? Did he contact the 212th about it or not and did they get ambushed?
It has been a long time since I saw this ep but I would assume Krell faked the transmission. Presumably the forces use encryption or the like to verify the source and fidelity of their own messages. Since Krell would have had full access to those protocols he could have sent a signal that looked like a real distress signal. Faking the Hologram would be tougher, although not that much, I don't recall it being interactive (was it?), you can't see the clone's face, all the clones have basically the same voice all you need is a recording of a guy talking and the ability to edit the audio of the recording then you can add whatever audio you want etc. If it was interactive it gets trickier...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

I wonder. Did Krell always hate the clones as much as he did, or because the Dark Side tends to function like evil magic space meth, it warped initial distrust or whatever into full blown hatred?
s955120
Redshirt

Post by s955120 »

I remember thinking when I watched this episode the first time: "Anakin will be so pissed once he get back and learned the whole story."
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Given what the chips will reduce the clone to, Fives’ speech is hard to watch.
s955120 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 am I remember thinking when I watched this episode the first time: "Anakin will be so pissed once he get back and learned the whole story."
I thought the same. With Krell, I didn’t see him as having gone dark side, but that he really just that little of clones. I thought Anakin would return, realize what Krell had done, and for Krell to promptly die in an “accident” with only the Anakin, Krell, and the audience knowing what really happened.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

guys i know this will sound bad, but i am kinda glad we got vader and not krell cuz at lest has vader has 2(robot)arms and not FOUR!
Captain Qwert Jr
Redshirt

Post by Captain Qwert Jr »

One of my favorite storylines, starring the only truly sympathetic group in the clone wars: the clones.

Still I always thought it was a mistake to make Krell a super villain. Would have been better if he was a true Jedi, broken by the war. The Jedi as police was already a compromise from the lightside. The Jedi as generals was an even greater perversion.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

One of the key things to remember about the Jedi was that they were the ones to start the practice of giving the Clones identities. In the first episode, Yoda names the clones he's with after their individual characteristics. In the EU, it was the Jedi who started giving nicknames to all the Clones, making them feel special and unique. The Jedi also helped them have off hours, hence why Clones enjoy bars on Coruscant, because the Jedi saw the Clones as people. Krell is a betrayal of all that, which is why the clones just don't understand him for most of the arc. It's like having Mr. Rogers as your babysitter for the longest time, and then for a week he's replaced by Doctor Evil. You're used to actual leadership and things making sense, and now things have gone so pear shaped that you can't comprehend how bad your situation is until it's starting you in the face.

I also find the comparison to Holdo very apt.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Damn. They showed the execution of Krell. This show had guts.

I now regret not watching it when it was on before, and want to catch up on it at some point.

Or I at least want to see new reviews of it.
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

FaxModem1 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 am It's like having Mr. Rogers as your babysitter for the longest time, and then for a week he's replaced by Doctor Evil.
While in general that doesn't seem entirely wrong, in this case Mr. Rogers is Anakin. So Mr Rogers crashing ships and yelling 'come on you apes, do you want to live forever?!' while he gets beaten up by Sith Lords.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Nice little tipbit- Krell has yellow eyes (and one episode ends with a close-up of those eyes), and yellow eyes are a sign of the Dark Side.

Since he's an alien, it could be a racial trait, but it really seems like it's meant to clue us in to his true nature.