Star Trek Not a Humans

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Not a Humans

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Beastro wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm Maybe there is something there, but the guy seems so dismissive of the human condition.

His self description I remember indicated that he would otherwise be like human but with no prevailing place on the food chain. Which is a bit alien for the most part, or at the very least not very much in shades.
Having no desire to watch STD, I've wondered about his character. Seems like the only good thing about the show.

Is that aspect of him a genuine attempt to make alien, or is it typical Sci-Fy mysanthropy leaking through, were the alien outlook is merely a thinly disguised veil to hide the writers disgust at Mankind?
Idunno maybe, but he is in himself the most interesting part as I can tell. To the same regard as Data's emotion chip being a consistent story line in the TNG movies. But story exposure with him is pretty limited. So far in the two seasons, he's got about as much development as Mayweather did by the end of the 4th for Enterprise. A touch more maybe.

He's an omega personality in that he's void of any alpha characteristics. I would guess that he's a composite of Picard's sensitivity and Odo's objectivity/otherness.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm Maybe there is something there, but the guy seems so dismissive of the human condition.

His self description I remember indicated that he would otherwise be like human but with no prevailing place on the food chain. Which is a bit alien for the most part, or at the very least not very much in shades.
Having no desire to watch STD, I've wondered about his character. Seems like the only good thing about the show.

Is that aspect of him a genuine attempt to make alien, or is it typical Sci-Fy mysanthropy leaking through, were the alien outlook is merely a thinly disguised veil to hide the writers disgust at Mankind?
Idunno maybe, but he is in himself the most interesting part as I can tell. To the same regard as Data's emotion chip being a consistent story line in the TNG movies.

He's an omega personality in that he's void of any alpha characteristics. I would guess that he's a composite of Picard's sensitivity and Odo's objectivity/otherness.
From what I've heard, he's a good representation of a creature expressing a herbivore outlook. Something which stands in contrast to humans as omnivores that were herbivores who became proficient carnivores (One could nicely model the Hero's Journey on top of that aspect of human development, I find).
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Beastro wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:07 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Idunno maybe, but he is in himself the most interesting part as I can tell. To the same regard as Data's emotion chip being a consistent story line in the TNG movies.

From what I've heard, he's a good representation of a creature expressing a herbivore outlook. Something which stands in contrast to humans as omnivores that were herbivores who became proficient carnivores (One could nicely model the Hero's Journey on top of that aspect of human development, I find).
Yes. Again I'd say it reminds me of Odo to that regard because he's kind of socially isolated in the same way. It's cold and taut in personality unlike Spock who is just distant, Phlox who is pacified, Data who is sterile, or Worf who is hot and pressed (though taut himself as far as duty).
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

(Discovery season 2 spoiler warning)

Saru is a weird example because his culture is a manufactured one even in-universe. They're actually omnivores with a powerful hunting instinct; the whole "herbivore prey species" bit is a complete lie they were told to keep them in line after another race (an actual herbivores species they had hunted to near extinction) turned the tables and conquered them.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I thought that the prey aspect was a subsequent evolution after they had been controlled.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

He's more of a caricature I feel like. I don't think he serves to deconstruct the human condition.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 pm I thought that the prey aspect was a subsequent evolution after they had been controlled.
Nope, just killing them when they hit full maturity (when they grow out of the fear response) and lying about why.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

mathewgsmith wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 pm I thought that the prey aspect was a subsequent evolution after they had been controlled.
Nope, just killing them when they hit full maturity (when they grow out of the fear response) and lying about why.
No, what I'm saying is that they had fear instilled into them, then from living under that they developed precognitive awareness powers.
..What mirror universe?
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

1 solid theory is that all human-like aliens are par-dimensional entities that block humans from seeing their true form, like Q but less god-like and more zen.

1 fluid theory that I find better is that all human aliens are the unwitting progeny of mankind from their subconscious will, full in flesh but not thought. Which explains a lot of their surface culture but not the layers underneath. This may be much but the overuse and abuse of Rubberhead-Aliens trope is just disgusting right now and I personally prefer it would go behind the house and be put down, with two 20g slugshots.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I think Saru is a composite of Garek and Odo.
..What mirror universe?