Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I got the first Jodie Whittaker season primarily out of spite.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

The only things I can say is that if Whittaker does leave its likely due to most actors playing the Doctor typically do about three series worth anyway and that the weaknesses of the two most recent ones have far more do with the Chibnall's hit and miss record as a showrunner than any other factor.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

If Jodie Whittaker steps down after her third season, I look forward to seeing everyone pronounce this as evidence of some major catastrophic failure on either her part or on her version of the show, while not similarly declaring Tennant, Smith, or Capaldi failures for also sticking to three seasons.

If she does do a fourth season, she'll have the longest run in like 40 years.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I would love to see a four series doctor but everyone their time, heck atleast she got more than nine did.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

I have same view as most here, this is still a rumour, and even if it's not it's not unheard of for someone playing the Doctor to step down from the role after three seasons, I do hope that Jodie Whittaker gets better stories as well before she does step down, I really enjoy her Doctor and feel is the strongest part of Chris Chibnall's run of Doctor Who, in-fact I feel that Chibnall himself is to blame for the overall bland and boring stories and direction of the current series, it's written and produced like a typical boring British drama, there's rarely any excitement to anything.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:20 am I would love to see a four series doctor but everyone their time, heck atleast she got more than nine did.
Agreed, I do wish Christopher Eccleston had stuck around for another season or two, I really enjoyed his Doctor.
Last edited by Link8909 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I heard that Eccleston is persona-not-grata in the BBC for calling the Queen Mum a parasite. Perhaps he will be horsewhipped for offending the graces of Saint Pippington's day and treating The Defender of the Realm like a cold plate of spotted dick and burn toad in the hole.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

I think Eccleston is perfectly happy doing Big Finish stuff away from the stresses of the TV production of DW.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Even if the rumor is true (the first magazine that reported it is a tabloid) it will be delayed anyway the U.K is in lockdown which means no filming.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I hope its not true I like Jodie as the doctor she just needs better writing.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Whittaker leaving means jack shit if Chibnall is still running the show.