code of hero review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Ghilz
Officer

Re: code of hero review

Post by Ghilz »

Thanotos Omega wrote:This Episode is why Beast Wars was simply the best thing in the franchise until Prime finally managed to displace it,
I'd have agreed if Prime didn't shit all over itself in its second and third season.

For now, Beast Wars remains #1
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

CareerKnight wrote:"He lived a warrior and died a hero." Nice touch setting it up so it would be this year's memorial day episode.

While I liked a lot of animated shows in the 90s, I'm not sure if any of them ever had as good an episode as Code was. Though this episode was the reason for my massive Beast Wars request it is not the last though I don't know when Transmutate is coming since I don't think it was boosted through the que like the rest.

There are few episodes in television that can rival it for the manly tears factor, the only episode that I know of that surpasses it is Sleeping in Light.
Code is THE top episode for basically the entire Transformers franchise, no question.

I'd say that Gargoyles on the whole gave it a pretty solid run. No one episode that quiiiite hits the same highs as CoH, but gargs in general had more episodes that'd be an 8 or a 9... while I'd say Beast Wars tended to skew closer to 6 or 7, especially in its first season., (CoH and Transmutate being it's best 10/10 episodes no question). Also if you unfairly count multiparters them Gargoyles definitely wins with City of Stone and Hunter's Moon for story.... but for a single 20 minutes, CoH is damn near impossible to top.

I'd put Reboot in general around the same quality as Beast Wars (especialy with its amaaazing third season) but it has no one single episode on that level (especially since season 3 was all 4-parters) . Exo-Squad, Mighty Max, Batman TAS all had some high water marks.

Of course if you start counting anime its a whole different ball game.
A88mph
Redshirt

Post by A88mph »

And I thank you CK for requesting it. I missed Beast Wars growing up, but I'll definitely have to double back to it.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Draco Dracul wrote:As silly as it may sound, I still think this is one of the best final stands in fiction.
It's not silly.

I still remember "IMPROVISE!" as one of the best "I'm not giving up until you've lost more!" lines, which was followed by one of the most epic beatdowns of an evil villain.

Ever.
Wargriffin wrote:I love Megatron and Rampage's conversation... Rampage doesn't even hide his discontent with Megs and Megatron and Dinobot's final conversation.
Rampage was epically insubordinate. He would obviously been happy killing EVERYONE, then repairing the ships, possibly with their body parts, and then flying back to Cybertron kill everyone there too.

Even in this episode, it's not any direct attacks from Dinobot that take Rampage out of the fight, it's Rampages own rocket.

A rocket that, previously in the episode, had destroyed at least a large chunk of a mountain.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

One thing that struck me about this episode is Dinobot's statement about having his choices matter, but now having no choice. It echos Londo Mollari's similar statement at the end of his arc:

"When I started, I had no power, but all the choice in the world. Now I have all the power I could ever want, and no choice. No choice at all."
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Nevix wrote:.
Even in this episode, it's not any direct attacks from Dinobot that take Rampage out of the fight, it's Rampages own rocket.

A rocket that, previously in the episode, had destroyed at least a large chunk of a mountain.
That's why when Chuck compared sending Quickstrike to face Dinobot to being like taking out a tank with a hamster I thought "Hang on, didn't we just see that's possible - Dinobot just took Rampage out with Waspinator (in fact that makes taking a Tank out with a hamster trivial by comparison).
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Rampage vs Waspinator is that unmoveable object vs unstopable force, I mean Waspinator while fragile never died or went into stasis lock, he's tough
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Redem wrote:Rampage vs Waspinator is that unmoveable object vs unstopable force, I mean Waspinator while fragile never died or went into stasis lock, he's tough
True, I bet Waspy would find some way of taking a direct hit from a Death Star and surviving. Sure he'd be in a dozen pieces, but he'd still survive it even if the planet he was on was atomised. :lol:
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

One thing I want to add to this conversation is the confrontation between Dinobot and Rattrap. Pretty much their entire repor is their banter, trading insults, and veiled threats to one another but there was a kind of bond and respect out of it. But Rattrap literally shoves him aside and having none of it after his stint of betrayal. In the end with Dinobot's final moments they had that and traded insults one last time.

Like the symbolism of Rampage landing on a butterfly as their assault on the valley begins.

As for Quickstrike, well I think Megatron was just throwing him at Dinobot to further weaken and give him a bit of preparation time while he got his hostage.

Also one of my favorite lines from Megatron: "Let's see where are we now. Um, I have the golden disc, I have the power to change the future, and the only remaining obstacle in my path to unimaginable glory... is yourself." It just oozes with condescension and ego.
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

Chaos Sepher wrote:As for Quickstrike, well I think Megatron was just throwing him at Dinobot to further weaken and give him a bit of preparation time while he got his hostage.
I almost want to request Cutting Edge just to give Chuck this.

"Because, Inferno, when expecting booby traps..."
Something bad happens to Quickstrike... again
"Always send the BOOB in first."
Nevix wrote:I still remember "IMPROVISE!" as one of the best "I'm not giving up until you've lost more!" lines, which was followed by one of the most epic beatdowns of an evil villain.
The battle is filled will great retorts including.

"What's a warrior without weapons?"
"A warrior still!"

Another thing about Code is that it contains one of the biggest animation screwups in Beast Wars, namely that in the missing man funeral scene somehow they used the old Rattrap model instead of right one.