The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

It's about first and foremost it's meta significance.
Call me KuudereKun
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

thetrueelec wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 pm Yeah but it's never been 'bring back an old villain with no explanation and have him be related to the hero somehow' dumb. Everything about Palpatine was dumb, and it killed any chance the rest of the movie had of being good. Admittedly JJ and Chris didn't give it a good chance even besides that by just writing a fetch quest as the main storyline
May I ask you why that's dumb to you and why it made movie bad to you? After all you must have some explanation why you think that way.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

Both TFA and TLJ made a point about how Rey was nobody. This was great because it took Star Wars from being about one family to being about any one. Then this movie gets rid of that to once again make the series about the same group of people so rather than expanding the world it's not been condensed.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Makes sense. I am rather inbetween myself when it comes to that. Whole "anyone can be hero" message that TLJ had was good (some vocal people on internet didn't see it that way) and meant that SW universe didn't revolve around certain bloodlines that are powerful in force. After all none of Jedi from past were from any bloodline like that but it didn't bother me that they made her Palpatine either.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

thetrueelec wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 pm Both TFA and TLJ made a point about how Rey was nobody. This was great because it took Star Wars from being about one family to being about any one. Then this movie gets rid of that to once again make the series about the same group of people so rather than expanding the world it's not been condensed.
No, TFA was clearly saying she was somebody. And I'm sick of people saying that about what Star Wars was before. This post was made before I saw RoS.
https://jaredmithrandirolorin.blogspot.com/2019/12/star-wars-never-had-problem-you-think.html
Call me KuudereKun
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

Yeah, that's why Max tells Rey to not worry about her parents. Because they were important and she should have worried about them. The perfect double bluff
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Maz tells Rey her parents are her past not her future. But she and Han clearly know something they aren't telling Rey.
Call me KuudereKun
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

thetrueelec wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 pm Yeah but it's never been 'bring back an old villain with no explanation and have him be related to the hero somehow' dumb.
That's literally the plot of The Empire Strikes Back
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If anything, MithrandirOlorin's reaction seems to prove one of two things. That either larger Star Wars fans are more shallow than even I had thought possible, or they really could have begun adapting Legends, and it would have worked out quite well.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, it is just simply horrible to call Legends, which was meant to expand the lore (it's in the title, "Expanded Universe!"), secondary fanfiction. Again, with that logic, so is the KOTOR games, but calling that fanfiction will get you severe backlash. And yet I could accept the older EU being a higher class of fanfiction, since fans were working on it, and that would mean yes, the KOTOR games are fan fiction. Because the older EU is very true to the creative vision of the one in charge, and during that era, it was Lucas. It is also true indeed that nowadays, the EU is reflective of the creative vision of those in charge, or the lack of it, in some cases.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords