DIS - New Eden

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Re: DIS - New Eden

Post by Fianna »

Link8909 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:53 pm I can think of two times of the top of my head when General Order 1 was shown to be good, "Who Watches the Watchers" and Into Darkness.
There's also that time where violating the Prime Directive created a Planet of Gangsters. And then another time when it created a Planet of Nazis.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fianna wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:53 pm I can think of two times of the top of my head when General Order 1 was shown to be good, "Who Watches the Watchers" and Into Darkness.
There's also that time where violating the Prime Directive created a Planet of Gangsters. And then another time when it created a Planet of Nazis.
My headcanon is the Planet of Nazis is by itself pretty much the defacto example the Federation is criticized for.

"The Federation comes in peace!"

"Didn't you make a planet of Nazis?"

"ONE TIME."

"One is enough!"
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:15 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:53 pm
TGLS wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:20 pm You know, that's what really gets in my craw. There are dozens of prime directive stories, and all most all of them are "natural disaster threatens planetary scale destruction". If they want to make the prime directive look good, why don't they actually use a debatable situation?
I can think of two times of the top of my head when General Order 1 was shown to be good, "Who Watches the Watchers" and Into Darkness.

I personally feel that getting involved in any affairs of Pre-Warp civilizations is not a good idea as it could stunt the natural development of their culture and that's were General Order 1 works well, but in these cases the inhabitants found out and quickly regressed, this was discussed very well in "Who Watches the Watchers", and I do like to subtle implication in Into Darkness with one of the aliens dropping their sacred parchment and started worshiping the image of the USS Enterprise, that because of Captain Kirk's actions that sacred parchment and the religion tied to it and all the culture that could have come from it is now lost, that it may as well have been destroyed in the volcano eruption.
The thing about that is the fact, "Do you believe the culture is more valuable than the lives that practiced it?"

The Federation seems to feel that way sometimes and it is a callous condescending attitude, as if people were nothing more than machines to produce beliefs.
Oh lives always comes first no question, and I feel that in Into Darkness Captain Kirk made a moral right decision, however it was the execution of his plan that was at fault, I think Star Trek Discovery did this better in it's first episode with Captain Georgiou and Commander Burnham saving that civilisation in such a simple manner.

My view with Into Darkness and was more discussed in "Who Watches the Watchers" was more the loss of future knowledge from their own culture now being shaped by outside intervention, and as well as their independents, imagine if those conspiracy theories were right and things like the Pyramids were built by aliens, that takes away the achievements from such monuments, in-fact the Doctor Who episode "The Lie of the Land" showed what would happen if aliens had kept coming in to intervene in our affairs.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

You know, what bugs me about the 'all faiths" thing is...not all religions have angels. Shouldn't that like...kinda narrow it down to the Abrahamic faiths?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:54 am You know, what bugs me about the 'all faiths" thing is...not all religions have angels. Shouldn't that like...kinda narrow it down to the Abrahamic faiths?
What I find amusing about the whole Red Angel plot is that time machines have been banned by the time of Discovery season 3 - and yet really the whole plot of season 2 revolves around a time travel suit fucking up time. Its almost as if having time agents was a GOOD THING and someone like Braxton or Daniels could have been sent back to stop this clusterfuck before it even began.

What's that expression? If you outlaw guns then only the outlaws will own guns? The same is true of time travel. I'm not sure the Discovery writers were capable of noting the stupidity of this idea though.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

What does that have to do with what I said?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am What does that have to do with what I said?
Its all the same bullshit.

Understand now?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:59 am
What I find amusing about the whole Red Angel plot is that time machines have been banned by the time of Discovery season 3 - and yet really the whole plot of season 2 revolves around a time travel suit fucking up time. Its almost as if having time agents was a GOOD THING and someone like Braxton or Daniels could have been sent back to stop this clusterfuck before it even began.

What's that expression? If you outlaw guns then only the outlaws will own guns? The same is true of time travel. I'm not sure the Discovery writers were capable of noting the stupidity of this idea though.
Braxton almost destroyed reality so time agents mucking around things actually made it worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:54 am You know, what bugs me about the 'all faiths" thing is...not all religions have angels. Shouldn't that like...kinda narrow it down to the Abrahamic faiths?
I mean, if you were Hindu and rescued by the Angel, you'd probably not convert as you were among those raptured.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:47 pm
Fianna wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 pm
My headcanon is the Planet of Nazis is by itself pretty much the defacto example the Federation is criticized for.

"The Federation comes in peace!"

"Didn't you make a planet of Nazis?"

"ONE TIME."

"One is enough!"
One imagines not knowing much about the Nazis is the primary reason more people aren't suspicious of the Federation and that the biggest job of Federation PR, is keeping people from finding out more about them or the Nazi planet.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:57 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am What does that have to do with what I said?
Its all the same bullshit.

Understand now?
No. Those two points have nothing to do with each other. Unless your point is that Discovery is a bad show, in which case that's so broad you really didn't need to quote tweet me.