Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Makeshift Python »

You don't have to worry about the destruction of this GameStop, these all-American limp dicks will make sure your pre-orders are protected. Because strip malls are more important than, ya know, protesting systematic racism and police brutality.

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Those guys in particular are protecting your 1/3 buyback of the game you bought 3 hours ago and beat.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

The police are starting to break. They're tired, they're flagging, and the protests aren't stopping. They want to go home. Don't let them. If you can, stay out there, stay peaceful, keep moving. Keep the cops moving. Drain their energy. If you're a night owl, go late, stay later. Keep them tired, keep them exhausted. Day 1 they were excited to pull out the tacticool gear and break heads while getting paid overtime. Day 2, they were still enjoying it. Now? It's not fun anymore. Keep it going. One week, two weeks, three weeks, months, however long it takes. Hong Kong has kept it going for nearly a year. We can take breaks, we can rest for a few days and go back. They can't. They have to march around for 12 hours, as it gets hotter, in 50 lbs of full riot gear, on edge, adrenaline pumping, day after day after day.

A good post I saw had ideas on defunding the police. As they put it:
  • Crazy guy stumbling around and talking to himself? Some sort of unarmed crisis intervention team.
  • Haven’t heard from your senile aunt and need a wellness check? Some kind of unarmed social worker.
  • Someone broke into your car and you need a report to show the insurance company? Some kind of unarmed report taker who’s entire job is to take reports.
  • Regular speeding in your neighborhood? Some kind of unarmed traffic monitor who takes reports and sends tickets remotely to the car’s registered owner.
  • Two drunk guys are fist fighting outside of a bar? Some sort of unarmed or very lightly armed beefcakes with de-escalation and intervention training to come out and stop the fight.
  • A man with a gun peeking in your windows and saying “I’m going to kill you”? The police can keep that one.
Scale back police duties, have more specialized teams that can handle specific situations.

Document any militia units you see, especially ones attacking protesters. As we know, there's a number of white supremacists in the police departments, when they're at the end of their rope, they might ring their friends. Document, monitor, challenge the police why they're not going after armed gangs. We have recordings of the cops working with them already - this is bad optics. We have videos of police working with neo-Nazis. That's hard to brush under the rug.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 am You don't have to worry about the destruction of this GameStop, these all-American limp dicks will make sure your pre-orders are protected. Because strip malls are more important than, ya know, protesting systematic racism and police brutality.

So you're saying the protesters and rioters are one and the same, and anyone who's out to keep the latter from burning businesses is okay with the Floyd killing? Because that seems to be the insinuation here, and I find it... bewildering I guess? Unless people are just supposed to let their livelihoods possibly get destroyed?
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Makeshift Python
Captain

Steve wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:54 am So you're saying the protesters and rioters are one and the same, and anyone who's out to keep the latter from burning businesses is okay with the Floyd killing? Because that seems to be the insinuation here, and I find it... bewildering I guess? Unless people are just supposed to let their livelihoods possibly get destroyed?
Not one and the same. To be less crude, I'm not as upset over burning businesses because they can be rebuilt, whereas victims like Floyd can never be brought back.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:11 am Not one and the same. To be less crude, I'm not as upset over burning businesses because they can be rebuilt, whereas victims like Floyd can never be brought back.
True. It just seemed like you were angry that people were taking up arms to stop looting of businesses, as if by doing so they were siding in favor of police brutality and the deaths of victims like Floyd, when their actions are not contradictory to feeling Floyd's death was wrong.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Makeshift Python
Captain

I'm mainly rambling inelegantly because if I'm angry at anything it's really just over how the looters and agitators get a lot more attention by the media than the actual protesting, and seemingly ignoring what it is that has gotten people so angry to take it to the streets. Of course, I feed into that with my rambling. Ces't la vie.

But if anything, people like this restaurant owner at least give me hope that many won't lose sight of what's more important for our communities: https://www.today.com/food/let-my-building-burn-owner-damaged-minneapolis-restaurant-supports-protest-t182789
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I'm not in favor of burning businesses at all. That's more damage to the economy, which is perhaps their goal to make Mr. 45 look bad, and it could hurt a potentially struggling small business as well, while in the midst of a pandemic. All these young leftists and the right-wingers challenging them are doing is proving how deeply selfish they are. I gave up my beach time for people like that? Oi vey...

It's late, so I'm off to bed, fam! Keep the faith alive.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Steve wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:12 am
Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:11 am Not one and the same. To be less crude, I'm not as upset over burning businesses because they can be rebuilt, whereas victims like Floyd can never be brought back.
True. It just seemed like you were angry that people were taking up arms to stop looting of businesses, as if by doing so they were siding in favor of police brutality and the deaths of victims like Floyd, when their actions are not contradictory to feeling Floyd's death was wrong.
Yeah cuz those people are definitely "protecting businesses" and not looking for an excuse to be violent. Do you believe that?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 am Where is your evidence that it DOESN'T accomplish anything? You're the one making assertions without a shred of evidence.
Really? That's the best answer you can give? A counter-question? You never were particularly good at debating in school, were you? Plus, you can not prove a negative, as it would be proven by the absense of proof.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox