DS9 - Rejoined

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: DS9 - Rejoined

Post by CrypticMirror »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:14 am
Also some of the reasons you mention - like "Dislike of the Cast" are very much tied with what I see as "modern values" - in this case the sudden Hollywood's need for the main characters of almost every new show to be women - possibly women of color and always perfect. From Ray in Star Wars to Michael Burnham to Cpt. Freeman in the new show (who is not a MC but the person of authority).
I find this ridiculous and dumb. Michael Burnham's problem is not that she's perfect. The writing for her is quite clear that she's not. Hell, I'd argue that she's quite a bit more flawed than Janeway was ever written to be or Picard. They've given her crushing PTSD and had her fuck up the beginning of the story. Michael's problem is that she's overexposed and up against some really great actors like Michelle Yeoh, Mary Wiseman, Jason Isaacs, and others we'd like to see more of.

It is that Mickey is boring and she has a really, really, really, really, re-e-e-e-e-e-healy dumb name that makes me wince whenever I hear or read it. The character could be the most interesting, well acted, well served narratively character in television history and I'd still be predisposed to dislike her on that alone. That one might just be me though, but Discovery made a rod for its own back with that name right off the bat.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: DS9 - Rejoined

Post by CharlesPhipps »

There's a movie called EUROTRIP where the main protagonist has an online friend named Mike and they are reasonably close. The protagonist breaks up with his girlfriend and then Mike tries to console him, inviting him to Europe for sex. The main protagonist is shocked and immediately homophobic, breaking off his friendship. We then find out she's a hot German girl named Mikaela.

I admit, it's kind of funny they just didn't use....Alex.