Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

Post by McAvoy »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:50 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:20 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:50 pm Prime DIrective was two good shows and then had a mad scientist with a disease that infects computers and people both. Then it was awful.

Also, RoboCable was played by an actor so much better than Murphy's that it really warped the narrative.
And he was short. Way too short for Robocop.

I always kinda felt that a good sequel to Robocop would be introducing more Robocops to the streets. Slain cops taken in like Murphy and made into Robocop RB-17 or something. OCP realizes that cops were not dying quick enough, so they send the to areas to be killed. Crime or setup.

These Robocops start malfunctioning like killing civilians or terrorist actions. Turns out OCP controls the new ones but interferes with the human aspect of the the new Robocops.

Something like that.

Not whatever Prime DIrective was trying to do.
That scenario would present Cops as victims.
Which I guess is a bad thing.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It is when the cops have both abilities and desire to hurt people. Calling them out so we might have changed is one of few defenses, giving it up to keep people like dragon Ball fan happy is both stupid and morally disgusting.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:19 pm It is when the cops have both abilities and desire to hurt people. Calling them out so we might have changed is one of few defenses, giving it up to keep people like dragon Ball fan happy is both stupid and morally disgusting.
You see I was looking at it differently. Stripping cops (or could be military) of their free will, their body and soul to be a machine in the overall empire of a corporation (also see government). So you get a bunch of machines with some human remains in it to drive it, with whatever human left in it fighting the machine that takes over.

But I guess I can see that being too pro-cop with both giving them the wish fulfillment and power of Robocop. Not in this environment at least.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Maybe we just need to have some way to ensure those in power can be check out.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:14 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:19 pm It is when the cops have both abilities and desire to hurt people. Calling them out so we might have changed is one of few defenses, giving it up to keep people like dragon Ball fan happy is both stupid and morally disgusting.
You see I was looking at it differently. Stripping cops (or could be military) of their free will, their body and soul to be a machine in the overall empire of a corporation (also see government). So you get a bunch of machines with some human remains in it to drive it, with whatever human left in it fighting the machine that takes over.

But I guess I can see that being too pro-cop with both giving them the wish fulfillment and power of Robocop. Not in this environment at least.
Personally, I think Police need to have more passive weapon options as it seems a lot of these 'police incidents' could have been avoided if the officers were using passive instead of lethal weapons.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

And maybe some training that so 6 cops have to use leathal force on one unarm moron.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:08 pm Personally, I think Police need to have more passive weapon options as it seems a lot of these 'police incidents' could have been avoided if the officers were using passive instead of lethal weapons.
Reminds me of a conversation after a random police shooting of a child who had a toy gun.

"They should have tased the kid."

"You think tasing a kid is better."

"Versus shooting him? Yeah."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:08 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:14 pm

Personally, I think Police need to have more passive weapon options as it seems a lot of these 'police incidents' could have been avoided if the officers were using passive instead of lethal weapons.
The reboot Robocop was kinda implying the guns he was firing was non-lethal or has that option.

As opposed to the original where he shot what probably would have been a rapist in the dick. Which I find hilarious even after all these years especially as an adult.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

A Certain Magical Index Deconstructs Meritocracy

During the Index account of the Sisters Arc back in season 1 we are shown how the official propaganda of Academy City is that any Esper could reach Level 5 if they try hard enough. But in Index III at the end of the plotline with the Item characters it is made clear how certain people had the known potential to be a level 5 very early on.

And this was always heavily implied, by the Sisters Arc itself Misaka was selected for the cloning experiment as a small child long before she was odically known to be a Level 5 yet the implications of that don't ever seme to be something that's occurred to her. We've also seen that Accelerator and Mental Out were already already singled out to be experimented on as small children.

And now I feel compelled to return once again to The Last Jedi/Sequel Trilogy discourse. The fact that so many online leftists think it's more Left Wing for anyone to be equally a potential Jedi shows how actually Liberal their mindset still is.

Leftists are Materialists, we acknowledge that some people do have innate natural advantages to being able to be successful that most people don't have. We are the opposite of Nazis in that we reject that those with innate advantages should actually be considered more valuable. But to deny the innate advantages exist ultimately serves the interest of Conservatives, it lets them convince themselves those already with power must be the ones who earned it.

The Raildex Anime are better social commentary then any Dystopic Science Fiction precisely because they are avoiding the usual Aesthetics of Dystopia. It's world is different from the real world but about the same in how Free or not Free it's society is.
Last edited by MithrandirOlorin on Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:19 am A Certain Magical Index Deconstructs Meritocracy

During the Index account of the Sisters Arc back in season 1 we are shown how the official propaganda of Academy City is that any Esper could reach Level if they try hard enough. But in Index III at the end of the plotline with the Item characters it is made clear how certain people had the known potential to be a level 5 very early on.

And this was always heavily implied, by the Sisters Arc itself Misaka was selected for the cloning experiment as a small child long before she was odically known to be a Level 5 yet the implications don't even seme to be something that's occurred to her. We've also seen that Accelerator and Mental Out were already already single out to be experimented on as small children.

And now I feel compelled to return once again to The Last Jedi/Sequel Trilogy discourse. The fact that so many online leftists think it's more Left Wing to for anyone to be equally a potential Jedi shows how actually Liberal their mindset still is.

Leftists are Materialist, we knowledge that some people do have innate natural advantages to being able to be successful that most people don't have. We are the opposite of Nazis in that we reject that those with innate should actually more valuable. But to deny the innate advantages exist ultimately serves the interest of Conservatives, it's lets them convince themselves those already with power must be the ones who earned it.

The Raildex Anime are better social commentary then any Dystopic Science Fiction precisely because they are avoiding the usual Aesthetics of Dystopia. It's world is different form the real world but about the same in how Free or not Free it's society is.
Interestingly, this came up recently in discussing INVINCIBLE that the show causes a lot of people unciomfortable feelings who try to analyze the show from a colonialism perspective. Which is popular because it absolutely is from a colonialism perspective but by a white author who is using Krypton and comic book sources versus real life sources.

Omni Man AKA Nolan is explicitly a man who came to marry an Asian woman and sired an Asian kid while working to conquer as well as "civilize" a culture that he considered to be inferior as well as technologically backward. This is something that invokes quite a large number of RL people and experiences of colonialism as far back as Madame Butterfly (which was the 1904 authors noting how shitty the attitude was).

The problem is that the Vitruumites REALLY ARE genetically superior to humanity and the fact that it falls upon the member of humanity with Vitruumite DNA to defend mankind against them is something that sticks in the teeth of a lot of people viewing it was a metaphor. Other people, pointing out the fact no metaphor is perfect, go, "At some point a Kryptonians ability to tank bullets and fly is just a Kryptonian's ability to tank bullets and fly."
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:23 am
The reboot Robocop was kinda implying the guns he was firing was non-lethal or has that option.

As opposed to the original where he shot what probably would have been a rapist in the dick. Which I find hilarious even after all these years especially as an adult.
Yeah, that was a mild issue I had with ROGUE CITY as I wish there were some non-lethal options as the game goes out of its way to make physical grabs as lethal as shooting people. OTOH, I understand why they did it because Robocop killing hundreds of people is part of the power fantasy.