Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by Karha of Honor »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:07 pm Her contract we renewed so... clearly Disney weighed the 4 billion+ made by the first three new movies against the losses of Solo and saw that the ups make up for the downs (which, money wise,they do).
Like if you put someone else i charge you would not have gotten that.

How hard was it not to make something as divisive as TLJ? A movie from a Sith POV would had been less divisive.
You a fortune teller? I can't help but doubt they could have hits those heights if some of the old WB DCEU executives were running it.

I don't think anyone can plan on a divisive movie movie (at least among hardcore followers). It's easy to make a bad film, its hard to make a crowd pleaser,
I reckon its even harder to make something that has wildly different effects on different people.

Ultimately they'll prefer an Episode VIII to a I or II. Even if the latrer may spark less arguements.
How could they not? SW is much easier than DCEU. SW does not have a boring Saint like Superman. Journalists don't care who is the main character in an SW movie unlike in a DC movie.

The audience ate up a New Hope remake. I think that is why they had the idea they will eat up the TLJ.

Ep 1 and 2 did not attempt to murder basic sw concepts.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:29 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:07 pm Her contract we renewed so... clearly Disney weighed the 4 billion+ made by the first three new movies against the losses of Solo and saw that the ups make up for the downs (which, money wise,they do).

How hard was it not to make something as divisive as TLJ? A movie from a Sith POV would had been less divisive.
You a fortune teller? I can't help but doubt they could have hits those heights if some of the old WB DCEU executives were running it.

I don't think anyone can plan on a divisive movie movie (at least among hardcore followers). It's easy to make a bad film, its hard to make a crowd pleaser,
I reckon its even harder to make something that has wildly different effects on different people.

Ultimately they'll prefer an Episode VIII to a I or II. Even if the latrer may spark less arguements.
How could they not? SW is much easier than DCEU. SW does not have a boring Saint like Superman. Journalists don't care who is the main character in an SW movie unlike in a DC movie.

The audience ate up a New Hope remake. I think that is why they had the idea they will eat up the TLJ.

I don't see Episode VII crossing 2 billion without the promise of the original cast returning plus trailers that demonstrated a clear step Way from the prequels. The former easn't neccesarily easy with Hamill and Ford being rather hot/cold on the series.

Didn't 'murder concepts' as you see it? Lot of people hate midichlorians plus all kinds of things related to the backstory.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I hope that's not how they see it, because if they blame her or Solo for Solo's failure, they've looked in the wrong place and will continue making the same mistakes. Solo did poorly because of TLJ.
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm How hard was it not to make something as divisive as TLJ? A movie from a Sith POV would had been less divisive.

Not setting out to intentionally and openly troll your audience is a good first step in avoiding making a divisive film. There are a lot of things you can't control, but this was not one of those things.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 pm
I hope that's not how they see it, because if they blame her or Solo for Solo's failure, they've looked in the wrong place and will continue making the same mistakes. Solo did poorly because of TLJ.
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm How hard was it not to make something as divisive as TLJ? A movie from a Sith POV would had been less divisive.

Not setting out to intentionally and openly troll your audience is a good first step in avoiding making a divisive film. There are a lot of things you can't control, but this was not one of those things.
I'm just glad they're not repeating formula.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm

I don't see Episode VII crossing 2 billion without the promise of the original cast returning plus trailers that demonstrated a clear step Way from the prequels. The former easn't neccesarily easy with Hamill and Ford being rather hot/cold on the series.

Didn't 'murder concepts' as you see it? Lot of people hate midichlorians plus all kinds of things related to the backstory.
Why not? it's friggin Star Wars.

No one would be foolish enough to not step away from the prequels.

It did not try to murder, the dark side and light side, the Force needing to be mastered for years, The Empire being a serious threat...

They just had something that meausres Force potential.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

It did not try to murder, the dark side and light side, the Force needing to be mastered for years, The Empire being a serious threat...

I would have thought it 'easy' for a Justice League movie in this day and age to make over a billion yet the modern movie industry still managed to come nowhere close.

Producers that get blamed for everything and thanked for nothing. I see it all too often whem a larhe enough group of fans take great offense at anything.

Destroying the light/dark side? Not seeing how. Training? Wush Luke got that memo before blowing up the Death Star and taking on Vader. The First Order wiped out the new Republic and obliterated most of the Resistance.

And that's why, others and presumably the creators don't see it that way.

Midichlorians were just a 'measure', well that's not how George Lucas saw it if his initial sequel plans are any indication.
KashyBoy101
Redshirt

Post by KashyBoy101 »

Not sure how TLJ murders the concept of Light and Dark.

As for the Force requiring years to master, well... given that Lucas and Filoni established in TCW that even infants can use the Force on pure instinct and intuition, I think that's a murder that happened a long, loooong time ago, to say nothing of all the other previous "Force savant" characters across the EU.

I'm not saying anyone has to LIKE it, but characters like Rey have had precedence for over 2 full decades by this point.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, it seems to be a trait shared by lazy writers. Look at Toriyama. Super Saiyan went from something you worked your ass off to achieve, to something little boys could easily transform into, to... something you got from tapping your back, really.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MrL1992 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 pm

I would have thought it 'easy' for a Justice League movie in this day and age to make over a billion yet the modern movie industry still managed to come nowhere close.

Producers that get blamed for everything and thanked for nothing. I see it all too often whem a larhe enough group of fans take great offense at anything.

Destroying the light/dark side? Not seeing how. Training? Wush Luke got that memo before blowing up the Death Star and taking on Vader. The First Order wiped out the new Republic and obliterated most of the Resistance.

And that's why, others and presumably the creators don't see it that way.

Midichlorians were just a 'measure', well that's not how George Lucas saw it if his initial sequel plans are any indication.
I am with Mark Miullar on this. They are iconic but hard to adapt.

Fans are not shy about their Feige praise.

It was a key moment when Kylo said thjey will abandon both. Luke waited 3 years before he took on Vader and he made a good shot instead of force blasting dudes right out of the gate.

That idiocy at least did not go down. i never praised George mujch, but as it stood most fans were ignorant of those plans and fandom was better than the Disney misery.
KashyBoy101 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Not sure how TLJ murders the concept of Light and Dark.

As for the Force requiring years to master, well... given that Lucas and Filoni established in TCW that even infants can use the Force on pure instinct and intuition, I think that's a murder that happened a long, loooong time ago, to say nothing of all the other previous "Force savant" characters across the EU.

I'm not saying anyone has to LIKE it, but characters like Rey have had precedence for over 2 full decades by this point.
It just attempted to do that with the whole book burning and Kylo speech.

There is a difference between taking a a warrior and floating an apple. I don't recall super stus and sues like Rey in the EU existing as Jedi or even Sith.

In star Wars? Outside of SW in important franchises of the scale of Star Wars?
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Most solo Batman movies met or exceeded their financial expectations. Wonder Woman's first major live action movie did well, the Flash has been successful on TV live action. Maybe you can argue that regarding Siperman's spotty history.

Feige and the MCU movies track record is an unprecedented exception. It's rare, most executives don't have sucy a streak. There's a difference between blaming a franchise runner for one or two things you dislike to making some bogeyman whose past accomplishments must be stripped away and/or forgotten.

He hasn't trainec much before making the 'impossible' shot at the Death Star with the force. and he held off Vader for recent amount of time in Episode V. Plus all number of other things he did single handily. Rey on the other had been surviving alone for years prior.