The Expanse - season three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Re: The Expanse - season three

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I don't use Twitter so not sure about the authenticity of this but this was reportedly re-tweeted from James S.A. Corey (the writers of The Expanse.)

"So here's the thing, guys. SYFY does not own #TheExpanse . They pay to license the show and then make money off of advertising. So, people watching the show during broadcast is how they make their living. That's the only number that matters to them for renewal purposes."

That returns me to my original point. Can't SyFy sacrifice one of the numerous Krypton or Futurama reruns to fit in a rerun of an Expanse episode? Or does it cost that much to air a single episode of the show?
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Well, I was reading some website and season two ratings for 18-49 was down a little in season 2 so I am sure they are wondering if it will recover the season 1 ratings. And it looks like the episode 3 season three outperformed season 2 episode 3 by almost 20%, so that is a good sign.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/expa ... e-ratings/

Okay That is the last I will talk about that. Episode 3 was amazing. Avasarala and Bobbie are on the Rossi! Things are gonna get real! That is all I got to say....
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I agree it's way cool the whole group is on the Rocinante (it'll always be the Roci to me rather than the name Prax came up with.) I really liked the interaction between Naomi and Avasarala. Naomi was trying to bow up on Avasarala but rather than be threatened by her Belter bravado she was simply amused by it. Naomi was completely outclassed by Avasarala and I think both women knew it. To be certain Avasarala knew it.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I just wanna say up front I've never read the books so I dunno if I should be surprised or not about what happened in this (or any) episode. Last week it seemed Jules Pierre Mao may have been developing a conscience of sorts regarding experimenting on children. This week, the last scene looked like an abattoir and Mao was all like "eureka! you've made this extraordinary breakthrough."

huh?

*edit* BTW, as a native Arkie I was delighted to see a spaceship named "Razorback." :D
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Yeah, I didn't understand the sudden shift from likable to evil....or just suddenly not care about "experimenting" on kids. I am definitely hooked one what is gonna happen with this "war". Also, Is Fred Johnson gonna turn the Naboo into a Protomolecule vessel? I don't understand why he wants that ship back.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I think Fred wants the Nauvoo (sp?) back because of the huge monetary investment the ship represents. The Mormons have, likely, already written off the loss (and probably bankrupting their insurance company) and will never know anything about this clandestine salvage operation. Also the ship could be converted into a formidable military base for the OPA.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

Hush amos before i beat you with book spoilers :P
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

i haven't read any of the books. My speculation is based strictly on logic.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

I know mate I just saying you are getting rather4 close to the truth
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Also, I am rewatching season 1, and I totally missed that the Mormons were gonna replace him as project manager. I always thought it was a plot hole that Fred Johnson would suddenly steal the ship, but it makes much more sense after watching his first scene.