Complete Voyager and First Contact/Insurrection Rewrite Fanfiction

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
technobabbler
Officer

Re: Complete Voyager and First Contact/Insurrection Rewrite Fanfiction

Post by technobabbler »

Maoris had facial tattoos. I don't know about the indigenous of the Western Hemisphere.

I wonder if Memory Alpha has an entry about that scammer "adviser" who consulted Rick Berman about Native Americans.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

technobabbler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:50 pmI don't know about the indigenous of the Western Hemisphere.
Tattoos are generally rather widespread in any culture, almost no matter how old the culture in question is. For example, the oldest known tattoo'd mummy is the Ötztal Man ("Ötzi"), being marked by more than 60 distinct tattoos, estimated to have died in 3250 BCE. Same is true for the Americas.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

That's a pretty good page on it. I found another similar one when I was looking into it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Any genocidal acts against the Sioux or Hopi? I really wanna tie that to the Maquis situation for historical parallels. You know, make Chakotay an INTERESTING character. Maybe more like Kira.

Also, I think I know why Starfleet, once communications are established with Voyager Fleet in my fanfic rewrite, would court-martial her. Over the events of "Scorpion," which will largely remain unchanged, except for perhaps a bit of dialogue tweaking, or fleshing out 8472. There's a special Starfleet directive assigned in the wake of Wolf 359 that says Starfleet officers shall never negotiate or render assistance to the Borg, so this makes her actions all the more meaningful. Of course, it begs the question why Sisko wasn't court-martialed for his actions in "For the Uniform." Those were technically war crimes. Should I bring that up?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:20 pm Any genocidal acts against the Sioux or Hopi? I really wanna tie that to the Maquis situation for historical parallels. You know, make Chakotay an INTERESTING character. Maybe more like Kira.
Sioux aren't exactly a tribe, they are a group of tribes consisting of the Lakota and Dakota and as soon as you hear "Lakota", you should instantly think about Wounded Knee.

Though I'd argue, that you could probably fall back a few more years and think about the Cheyenne and Arapaho and what happened at Sand Creek, where a large group of the before mentioned, already had surrendered to a US cavalry garrison and got gunned down shortly thereafter during Chivington's Massacre (that's a particularly disgusting example of subhuman scum and refuse on whose grave I'd really love to piss and shit repeatedly once a year). What happened there was bad enough, that even a few of his own men refused his orders and even testified against him in an Army Court of Inquiry. As a direct result Congress refused Army requests for additional soldiers for a general war against the plains indians (mainly Dakota, Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapaho) and rise of raids against white settlers, because, particularly ironic, not only did the massacre show the plains indians that there is no surrender to the white man, but the people that got gunned down at Sand Creek? They were the ones who argued for peaceful cooperation... So all that was left for the plains indians at that point, was agressive retaliation and this massacre directly leads to the Great Sioux War or the Black Hills War.
If you want to know more about that incident, I suggest not just reading the wiki-articles, but listening to this episode of the "History on Fire"-podcast: EPISODE 32A Anything That Moves (Part 1): The Parallel Stories of Sand Creek and My Lai, which goes into lots of detail around the backstory there.

As for the Hopi, as far as I am aware, they were fairly inconsequential for anything that happened to native americans in the US at large. They essentially put themselves under US-protection in 1850 and their geographical positioning made them largely irrelevant to US-interests and since they were mostly a culture of settled agrarians, they completely flew under the radar.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Thanks. That helps. So Chakotay's a Lakota in this rewrite. Ironic considering there's an Excelsior-class ship named the Lakota.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Damn, Madner beat me to it. :D had family at Wounded Knee, incidentally.

Funny thing is there's also an Excelsior named after Crazy Horse, who was one of the Lakota's greatest leaders.
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

WOW. I'm sorry.

Interesting.

Speaking of Excelsior, I have decided to go with that. Voyager will be an old Excelsior-class ship, Janeway the science officer, but the Captain, first officer, and doctor all die, so that she has to take command, as Chakotay was an experienced Starfleet commander, and imagine all sorts of conflict that will arise? There will also be less "Janeway knows everything!" and more her confiding her doubts in Tuvok. One scene in particular I have in mind is Chakotay giving a rousing speech (you KNOW this is fanfiction! ;)) and Janeway confesses to her Vulcan confidante that, "I'm out of my depth here, Tuvok? Did you see the way the others responded to him? Chakotay, he's a natural leader. No wonder the Maquis looked to his leadership. For a while there... he even had me on his side."

Imagine if the show itself could have been this way?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Sioux actually means snake. It was a name given to them by other tribes they conflicted with or something.
..What mirror universe?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

It's a shortened form of a term meaning "snakes in the grass." The thing is, some of the tribes, including the one I am a member of, still refer to themselves as Sioux. Some find the name offensive, others don't. I know my great uncle was rather amused at the people who found the term offensive. I tend to prefer the name Lakota for my tribe (important to note there are also Dakota and Nakota), simply because this is the most accurate. I still often find myself utilizing the Sioux name when referencing all the tribes collectively, though.
-TR