The Lost Room

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: The Lost Room

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, what did Anna eat while she was stranded in the 'other room', or was she in some sort of suspended animation?
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

unexpected MEAT LOAF!
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

rickgriffin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 pm Okay so in part 3 I just had some thoughts related to what Julianna Margulies said re: not liking science fiction. Because I encounter the attitude a lot (especially from teachers in school) and in a way I don't quite get it.

I mean, I suppose, if you were to pick up one random science fiction book at random, it would be very unlikely to contain compelling themes. But I'd personally say the same about most any story. A lot of stories are just fluff stuff happening to people. But that stuff is still usually gonna be some kind of human drama, which is the thing they say the want from stories. Right? Am I wrong?

Even when science fiction is about aliens, it's about people, because stories are about people. If there's something to criticize sci-fi for it's that it often focuses on ideas and concepts to the detriment of actually exploring character, but ANY story can do that. It just seems baffling to be to suggest that sci-fi is somehow inherently devoid of character.
The biggest problem as I see it is that a sci-fi hater or neutral could watch twenty random episodes of Trek, Gate or Dr Who and find nothing but shooty, bang bang. I can see how someone could think there is nothing more to be found here. It also doesn't help that when those shows got cringe-worthy, they got CRINGE-WORTHY. An outsider looking at the needless fanservice like Seven of Nine's catsuit, pretty much all of season 1 of TNG, the shitty make-up jobs, the wobbly sets, the wooden acting etc. is going to have a rough time looking past these things.

I've been a fan of sci-fi since the early nineties and I can fully appreciate why people hate sci-fi.

There is character absolutely. City on the Edge of Forever, Riker ordering the death of his captain in BOBW after spending a whole episode being told how past it and useless he is, the death of Spock, the episode Father's Day of Dr Who is always one that gets me having lost my father at a young age too.
But I think in each case, there is still a lot that needs to be put aside by the haters and neutrals in order to appreciate it. These examples are not going to have any resonance to someone who couldn't make it past the wooden police box, the space bats, Picard's gimp suit or the time travelling stone doughnut.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Do they ever take a moment to figure out what the wedding photograph's power is?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm So, what did Anna eat while she was stranded in the 'other room', or was she in some sort of suspended animation?
That is similar to something that wonder about Janet Pym in Ant-Man and The Wasp and Arthur's mother in Aquaman.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:33 pm
FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm So, what did Anna eat while she was stranded in the 'other room', or was she in some sort of suspended animation?
That is similar to something that wonder about Janet Pym in Ant-Man and The Wasp and Arthur's mother in Aquaman.
Both of those characters were in some sort of wild and bizarre ecosystem. Anna is in some version of a hotel room. At the very least, she has a bathroom to keep hydrated and keep up her hygiene. Maybe she was starving and stopped somewhere for cheeseburgers after the events of the miniseries?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Fianna wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 pm Do they ever take a moment to figure out what the wedding photograph's power is?
If I had to guess it is written in a series bible somewhere under a layer of dust in the back of some file cabinet labeled, "IP we own and do nothing with."
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

A cock ring that shoots bullets... Hello SCP Foundation, I have a new entry for you.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

rickgriffin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 pm Okay so in part 3 I just had some thoughts related to what Julianna Margulies said re: not liking science fiction. Because I encounter the attitude a lot (especially from teachers in school) and in a way I don't quite get it.

I mean, I suppose, if you were to pick up one random science fiction book at random, it would be very unlikely to contain compelling themes. But I'd personally say the same about most any story. A lot of stories are just fluff stuff happening to people. But that stuff is still usually gonna be some kind of human drama, which is the thing they say the want from stories. Right? Am I wrong?

Even when science fiction is about aliens, it's about people, because stories are about people. If there's something to criticize sci-fi for it's that it often focuses on ideas and concepts to the detriment of actually exploring character, but ANY story can do that. It just seems baffling to be to suggest that sci-fi is somehow inherently devoid of character.
It's sad, because while I get what she was saying (and I think her description of the show as The Fugitive + Twilight Zone with a tiny bit of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is spot-on) it felt like an understandable but ignorant assessment of the genre. And sadly, the rebuttal is staring at her right in the face: she's in a sci-fi story, but it's compelling and about people. Somehow, it didn't appear to have sunk in by the time of this interview that her preconception of what sci-fi is... was wrong.

Certainly people like what they like and dislike what they don't, but in this case it appears that she'd had very little if any actual exposure. The impression here is of someone who's only seen Flash Gordon comic covers and wrote the whole thing off as being uninteresting. Hopefully being in The Lost Room expanded that horizon just a bit. :)
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 pm A cock ring that shoots bullets... Hello SCP Foundation, I have a new entry for you.
Don't you mean the SJW Foundation?