The Last Jedi Two Years Later

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Last Jedi Two Years Later

Post by clearspira »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:07 am
clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:33 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:43 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:16 am Because she's young and stupid. I already said that. There's no mystery here. She's got a half-formed teenager brain, is emotionally immature for her age, has near-crippling daddy issues, and she regularly makes impulsive choices. That's basically her whole character. Nobody's saying it results in good or well considered decisions.
No. She is not written to be young and stupid, she is written to be an all conquering strong woman. She comes off as all this shit because rian Johnson is a hack.
Dude, the movie is bad enough as it is. You don't have to invent a worse one and assume that they failed to execute it properly.
That's the thing though: I do not believe I have invented anything. This is based on every interview I have seen with Rian Johnson and Ms The Force Is Female Kennedy.
Rey was NEVER designed to be stupid.
If we're including interviews he has outright said several times that Rey and Kylo's relationship was written as a romance. Mostly so he could Subvert Expectations and have them never actually get together while taunting the shippers.
"Subvert expectations" is the new "It's so dense" as far as memes go.

Only a fool writer thinks that fans want their expectations subverted. Fans want what they have always got just ever so slightly different.
And you can see that in almost all of the most celebrated sequels.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

People who 'ship Rey and Kylo are kind of messed up, IMO.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

This is getting tiresome. Two years of "The Last Jedi was awful and here is why you MUST agree" threads, videos and so on. I mean, what is it for you guys? Some kind of crusade, a fight against heresy or what? Get over it, dammit, and drop that bloody pilgrim's staff! Listen, those who liked TLJ like it and those who hated it, hate it. That's all that has and will ever come out of these sterile arguments. It's like a scratched record, playing the same tune over and over and over again.

With a little chance it will all end with Rise of Skywalker. Some "Rise of Skywalker was awful and here is why you MUST agree" threads will be refreshing. For a couple of months...
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Oh no, people don't like a movie and explain why, the horror. :roll:

Tell you what, if you can only handle positive attention of these movies, there's a thread here you can hang out in and feel safe: https://sfdebris.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4179
;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Actarus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:10 pm This is getting tiresome. Two years of "The Last Jedi was awful and here is why you MUST agree" threads, videos and so on. I mean, what is it for you guys? Some kind of crusade, a fight against heresy or what? Get over it, dammit, and drop that bloody pilgrim's staff! Listen, those who liked TLJ like it and those who hated it, hate it. That's all that has and will ever come out of these sterile arguments. It's like a scratched record, playing the same tune over and over and over again.

With a little chance it will all end with Rise of Skywalker. Some "Rise of Skywalker was awful and here is why you MUST agree" threads will be refreshing. For a couple of months...
It really is tiresome to have had same threads and videos for two years made every day and no amount snark can change that. All those repeative threads and videos are based on idea that everyone needs to share that same opinion and haye TLJ because some hoe that is only correct opinion. It's not but that's how arrogant those people are. They are like Jim Cornette and his fans when it comes to pro wrestling but in this case it's about movie.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I have never once asked anyone to agree with me. I have never once demanded that you share my opinion. A thread was made, I replied.

Btw, the prequels were nearly 20 years ago. They are still argued over. Is it really a surprise that people still argue over TLJ after 2? Especially since the trilogy isn't even over yet and the next one is out in a month.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Admiral X wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 pm Oh no, people don't like a movie and explain why, the horror. :roll:

Tell you what, if you can only handle positive attention of these movies, there's a thread here you can hang out in and feel safe: https://sfdebris.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4179
;)
Listen, Snarkey, I have no problem with people not liking TLJ. That's their right and I'm okay with it. But creating threads after threads after bloody f*cking threads complaining and ranting about the same goddamned wretched thing just gets unnerving. You would think that after two long years with far more important issues than a silly space opera they would have gotten over it but no! They haven't convinced anyone who likes the movie after two years, but hey, why not create one more thread? Or another video about the Evil Wicked Witch of Disneyland. Maybe those poor heretics will see the light, this time? Right? Right?

NO!
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Actarus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 pm
Admiral X wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 pm Oh no, people don't like a movie and explain why, the horror. :roll:

;)
Listen, Snarkey, I have no problem with people not liking TLJ. That's their right and I'm okay with it. But creating threads after threads after bloody f*cking threads complaining and ranting about the same goddamned wretched thing just gets unnerving. You would think that after two long years with far more important issues than a silly space opera they would have gotten over it but no! They haven't convinced anyone who likes the movie after two years, but hey, why not create one more thread? Or another video about the Evil Wicked Witch of Disneyland. Maybe those poor heretics will see the light, this time? Right? Right?

NO!
Hi there. You must be new to the Star Wars community.
My friend, I was arguing about Return of the Jedi in primary school and I still am to this day. If recurring threads bother you then you are in the wrong fandom.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

So people aren't allowed to express their opinions because other people have expressed that opinion and you find that tiresome?
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Actarus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 pm

;)

NO!
Hi there. You must be new to the Star Wars community.
My friend, I was arguing about Return of the Jedi in primary school and I still am to this day. If recurring threads bother you then you are in the wrong fandom.
You were? Then start a thread about Return of the Jedi, it will be a breath of fresh air. I mean, I like pea soup, but serve me that every meal and I might, well... explode.