A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Mabus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:08 pm If the series had taken place in some parallel universe that bled into ours, some of it might have worked. But since some of the main characters are unlikeable in their own way and half the time the plot gets twisted only for the main character to get the high ground, I'd say I don't think the producers and the writers had a clear idea what to do. They just took whatever they thought it was good from Rick and Morty (and one of the guys who works there) and made some screw-up comedy that's too adult for kids but way too juvenile for most adults, so in other words it mostly meant for a limited audience, which, is not something that works well in long term.
to quote Data
Are you prepared for the kind of death that you've earned, little man?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:36 pm I couldn't make it through the first three episodes of that garbage. Mariner in particular needs to be redshirted, and the lessons seem to be loosen up and goof off. Which is completely antithetical to Trek, because the message from Trek shows [and there should be a message, and for an animated show it should be a He-Man style bit to camera] should be a variation on the theme of straighten up and fly right. We don't need to be encouraging more people to goof off and break the rules.
why
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:36 pm I couldn't make it through the first three episodes of that garbage. Mariner in particular needs to be redshirted, and the lessons seem to be loosen up and goof off. Which is completely antithetical to Trek, because the message from Trek shows [and there should be a message, and for an animated show it should be a He-Man style bit to camera] should be a variation on the theme of straighten up and fly right. We don't need to be encouraging more people to goof off and break the rules.
why
It's pretty funny given how NOT straight laced our captains are, and how often Starfleet rewards them. I'm reminded of that one line where an admiral is admonishing Sisko for violating orders.

"You pull a stunt like that again I'll court martial you, OR I'll promote you!"

I'm sure in the US Navy that Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway would have lost their commands a long time ago instead of being either promoted or given more commands. But the truth is that we're watching a TV show that's actually closer in the reality of TOP GUN as opposed to ours.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

One thing I really would like to see in coming episodes is flexing that animation budget with non-humanoid alien regulars. That's why Peanut Hamper excited me so much. I hope Boimler's replacement is one of a horta or a bluegill parasite (Not somebody controlled by one, just a tiny little bluegill in a little many-legged Starfleet uniform), or an energy-based life form. Anything to take advantage of the fact that you don''t have to inconvenience a human performer with massive prosthetics or worry about CGI and animatronic expenses!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yes but they likely will bring Boimler back they love the status quo.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I wouldn't say that. I mean, they broke the "nobody knows she's the captain's daughter" news and that's irreversible. They killed the Bajoran security officer. They don't change it often, but there seems to be actual like, consequences.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:48 am I wouldn't say that. I mean, they broke the "nobody knows she's the captain's daughter" news and that's irreversible. They killed the Bajoran security officer. They don't change it often, but there seems to be actual like, consequences.
10 episodes and it's already shaking things up in a way that VOYAGER refused to do, unless circumstances forced the producers to take action (like ending Jennifer Lien's contract because her mental illness was becoming an issue).
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:48 pm It's pretty funny given how NOT straight laced our captains are, and how often Starfleet rewards them. I'm reminded of that one line where an admiral is admonishing Sisko for violating orders.

"You pull a stunt like that again I'll court martial you, OR I'll promote you!"

I'm sure in the US Navy that Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway would have lost their commands a long time ago instead of being either promoted or given more commands. But the truth is that we're watching a TV show that's actually closer in the reality of TOP GUN as opposed to ours.
Very true, Steve Shives even made an entire video on this matter.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:58 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:48 am I wouldn't say that. I mean, they broke the "nobody knows she's the captain's daughter" news and that's irreversible. They killed the Bajoran security officer. They don't change it often, but there seems to be actual like, consequences.
10 episodes and it's already shaking things up in a way that VOYAGER refused to do, unless circumstances forced the producers to take action (like ending Jennifer Lien's contract because her mental illness was becoming an issue).
Indeed, I'm sure Boimler will be back on the Cerritos, but it looks like we'll be seeing a bit of his life on the Titan before that, and I to love that Lower Decks while having a general status quo, is willing to change things up.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:48 pm Yeah but I feel they are aware of Mariner bratty attitude.
When I first heard about Mariner and her deal, I thought I'd wouldn't like her, but I honestly really enjoy her, I love the dynamic between her and Boimler, and while she does haze him, it's not mean spirited and she does care about him, I like that her behaviour is not only called out by the crew, but even herself in "Crisis Point", and I love the rebellious teen dynamic with her and Captain Freeman, plus I love that she represents the Kirk archetype and the fans of Trek that are about the action and adventure side of the franchise.

- Jean-Luc Picard