AU Question: Justice League 2017 Snyder Cut Reception

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: AU Question: Justice League 2017 Snyder Cut Reception

Post by McAvoy »

I have seen alot of people criticize the whole idea of fans 'forcing' WB to release the Synder Cut. That it opens up the idea of so called toxic fans to demand things they shouldn't like a different cut of a movie or something.

Problem is that door has been open already its just rarely used. Superman II Donner Cut anyone?
I got nothing to say here.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

They need a pizza cut of Spiderman 2. Every scene replaced with Peter Parker delivering pizzas.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
bull705
Redshirt

Post by bull705 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:56 am I have seen alot of people criticize the whole idea of fans 'forcing' WB to release the Synder Cut. That it opens up the idea of so called toxic fans to demand things they shouldn't like a different cut of a movie or something.

Problem is that door has been open already its just rarely used. Superman II Donner Cut anyone?
Sorry, I must have missed the part where Donner Cut advocates were buying billboards, bus signs and airplanes for advertising. I probably also missed them review-bombing other movies.

There's respectfully requesting something and then there's being a bunch of whiny crybabies because WB made a financial decision to cease a storyline that wasn't producing the desired box office results.

Talk to me when there's a "resume the Donnerverse" hashtag.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

bull705 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:56 am I have seen alot of people criticize the whole idea of fans 'forcing' WB to release the Synder Cut. That it opens up the idea of so called toxic fans to demand things they shouldn't like a different cut of a movie or something.

Sorry, I must have missed the part where Donner Cut advocates were buying billboards, bus signs and airplanes for advertising. I probably also missed them review-bombing other movies.

There's respectfully requesting something and then there's being a bunch of whiny crybabies because WB made a financial decision to cease a storyline that wasn't producing the desired box office results.

Talk to me when there's a "resume the Donnerverse" hashtag.
The Donner Cut was well known for a long time. Spoken about for twenty or more years before it was finally released.

Guess what? Fnas bitch and moan about anything and everything. Doesn't mean any studio has to listen to them. It's the studio decision to do it and they will do it if they think they can make money off of it.

Also don't be stupid. No one is calling for the Donnerverse to be back for the simple reason the films came out 40 years ago!

Oh and they already did the Donnerverse thing when Superman Returns came out.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I don't think that its ''toxic'' for fans to want something. Another word for ''fan'' is ''customer'' after all. If McDonalds changed the Big Mac and ''fans of the Big Mac'' complained en masse to change it back, it probably would be. I note that drinks manufacturer Irn Bru here in the UK have released a ''limited edition'' version of the original recipe recently, no doubt testing just those waters. If you want to make the most money possible then you have to meet fans halfway at least some of the time.

What is toxic however is leaving tens of thousands of insults on Twitter that include death threats. And there are screenshots of those out there so that isn't a lie.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:30 am I don't think that its ''toxic'' for fans to want something. Another word for ''fan'' is ''customer'' after all. If McDonalds changed the Big Mac and ''fans of the Big Mac'' complained en masse to change it back, it probably would be. I note that drinks manufacturer Irn Bru here in the UK have released a ''limited edition'' version of the original recipe recently, no doubt testing just those waters. If you want to make the most money possible then you have to meet fans halfway at least some of the time.

What is toxic however is leaving tens of thousands of insults on Twitter that include death threats. And there are screenshots of those out there so that isn't a lie.
I just wanted to say your McDonald's comparison reminds me of New Coke / Classic Coke. They changed the recipe and the customers hated it.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

That's an excellent point right there. Fans or customers demanding something to be changed because they don't like it or bring something back because they did like it, is not new.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

McAvoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:25 am That's an excellent point right there. Fans or customers demanding something to be changed because they don't like it or bring something back because they did like it, is not new.
Or maybe people don't like it when you try to reinvent the wheel.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:51 pm
McAvoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:25 am That's an excellent point right there. Fans or customers demanding something to be changed because they don't like it or bring something back because they did like it, is not new.
Or maybe people don't like it when you try to reinvent the wheel.
Not quite.

Fans have demanded and gotten popular/favorite characters back. Trek famously got another season due to fan mail. Fans have gotten characters removed due to backlash of the character and even the actor.

It's not reinventing the wheel, it's altering the wheel due to demand of the consumer.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

The problem with that comparison is:
The Donner Cut wasn't released five years after the Lester-Cut, because lots of toxic fans were bitching and moaning, that this was not their ideal version, Richard Donner himself posting fotos of harddrives saying "Of course it exists" and other actors saying "Well, we shot more scenes, than those you got."
That's what happened with this movie - they were loud, they were annoying, probably WB rolled their eyes and said "Well, give Snyder the money to complete his vision, then these idiots will be quite."

The problem is: The idiots now feel, as if they would've carried a victory and now they want more. They want a whole Snyderverse, they reviewbombed other intellectual properties done by WB, they say "Well, if it is not Snyderverse, I'm not watching it" and all in all they act like little children.