Superman and the Jedi: Are They Boring

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Superman and the Jedi: Are They Boring

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I don't think you could really sell Star Wars in 2000 without centering it around jedi lore.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 pm I don't think you could really sell Star Wars in 2000 without centering it around jedi lore.
Well yeah.

And since it was Lucas, centering on Anakin's fall to the Dark Side. Even if it wasn't done very well.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I have the same problem with the Jedi in the prequels as I do with the action in the Matrix sequels. Far too under represented in favor of focusing on a hero's journey/fall.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 am I have the same problem with the Jedi in the prequels as I do with the action in the Matrix sequels. Far too under represented in favor of focusing on a hero's journey/fall.
And he didn't he do that right, Lucas seems had Anikan become Vader relucantly, like if he wasn't force too her would have happily made him the mary sue that Rey became. That he only made his precious anikan the more interesting Vader kicking and screaming.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 am I have the same problem with the Jedi in the prequels as I do with the action in the Matrix sequels. Far too under represented in favor of focusing on a hero's journey/fall.
And he didn't he do that right, Lucas seems had Anikan become Vader relucantly, like if he wasn't force too her would have happily made him the mary sue that Rey became. That he only made his precious anikan the more interesting Vader kicking and screaming.
Well I think it's interesting to consider what the original trilogy left on the table for us to consider what type of character Anakin would be based on the films we got.

What Lucas went for was a person who'd grow to follow his passions in fashion with Romulans next to Vulcans. In Episode 2 Anakin doesn't have very high functioning reasoning skills except for his ability to assess situations in terms of security. In Episode 3 he develops a general regard for people that he didn't before and takes on the role of a protector.

At that point he actually has developed restraint in his expression, so it just makes the boarding time for someone that can turn to the dark side from a mature perspective. I think Lucas's idea was to have the naïve youthful part of Anakin utterly there to the point where it comes to the obvious conclusion of conflict in him to let the dark side swirl him over to it.
..What mirror universe?