Batman: TAS: Beware the Grey Ghost

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Re: Batman: TAS: Beware the Grey Ghost

Post by Aotrs Commander »

I never watched a lot of BTAS at the time. I was simply not a Batman fan (still am not actually). I thought Bats worked SO much better in Justice League (where, on occasion, Superman was allowed to snap back at him...!) I just don't find him interesting as a character on his own (or with his, lt's be charitable, students), I think he works better with more nominal equals.

Adam West is still my favorite Batman (bless his soul), though it was only in later years beyond the repeats of the 19630s show I saw as a child, I truly appreciated the camp. So I probably would have liked this episode if I'd seen it. (Kevin Conroy, I should note, is probably the "best" Batman in regards to actually doing it seriously and I do take very geniune delight in him voicing Bats nowadays.)

I still recall when laughing with utterly delight one episode of Diagnosis Murder or something I think, Adam West showed up as a guest star, basically playing his own self-insert, and when his revival sort of started when he showed up in Johnny Bravo (and then Kim Possible and so frequently in Fairly Odd Parents - and even Family Guy, in the early seasons, where it was good (milage varies etc); heck, even the time he did Young Mermaidman in Spongebob). I tip my hat to the man for - eventually - just going along with the joke and pretty much making a career out of it. Because he never, ever, ever failed to utterly delight me on screen. I salute you, Adam West!

(I think it a pity we never had the chance to have had him appear in MLP, because that could have been glorious. Hey, MLP got William Shatner as a guest star, it could have happened!)
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

Aotrs Commander wrote:(I think it a pity we never had the chance to have had him appear in MLP, because that could have been glorious. Hey, MLP got William Shatner as a guest star, it could have happened!)
Too true! I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that the other Trek captains do voices for MLP: Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks and Kate Mulgrew.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Mulgrew's past in animation has been as manipulative Titania and a wicked ghost pirate...hmm...I mean it does fit MLP in either case.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

She's also Flemeth from Dragon Age.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Trinary wrote:
Aotrs Commander wrote:(I think it a pity we never had the chance to have had him appear in MLP, because that could have been glorious. Hey, MLP got William Shatner as a guest star, it could have happened!)
Too true! I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that the other Trek captains do voices for MLP: Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks and Kate Mulgrew.
If Brooks does a voice in the show, his character has to punch (or kick if it's a quadruped) Discord for old time's sake.

And yeah, this is a good episode of TAS. Also, Grey Ghost gets a playable role in LEGO Batman 3 (as does the TAS version of Condiment King).
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

The episode shows how the crew really did get Batman in all incarnations and appreciated the fandom as well. It hit a nice balance of the character, not too dark but not light, either. I also love Conroy's work with the character. His Batman and Bruce are distinctive, but neither sounds like someone intentionally faking a voice or not even trying. We've seen Michael Keaton's whisper, Kilmer & Clooney making no attempt at all, Bale's over the to rasp, and Affleck's electronic modification. I'd really like to see a superhero actor get coached by an experience voice actor when there's a secret identity involved. I think only Christopher Reeve has pulled it off on the big screen.

I grew up when reruns of Adam West and George Reeves was all we had for superheroes on TV. They'll always have a special place for me. I'm happy one of them managed to find a way to deal with the typecasting and embrace even the sillier aspects of it.

Quick note: Adam West had a role in the Burt Reynold's film, "Hooper". He played an actor named Adam (no last name) who was the star of the film where Reynold's character was the stunt coordinator.