Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Link8909 »

So while I've kept clear of spoilers, it's been hard ignore general images, and while I don't have the context behind them I saw this one:
And I was reminded about a character from Star Trek Elite Force 2 with a similar haircut to Ensign Mariner here, I can't find a picture of her yet but I wonder if this was not a coincidence.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Better still, that's on Deep Space Nine.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

also note the ds9 era uniforms so the ones that we see here are post ds9 period its just pre picard era uniforms. Also i do kind of like the meta joke of the fact that there are so many different alien lifeforms that do this trope that now we have characters that know it and call it out.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Found a picture:
She's Ensign Elizabeth Laird.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Dman
Redshirt

Post by Dman »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:06 am
Dman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:25 pm He's lucky this isn't Discovery or else he would get eaten by tribbles and people would laugh at him for it
Is there a reason Trek fandom is fond of a guy who does cruel and inhumane animal experiments? I thought people who performed those were mostly considered dicks in RL.
Well, I personally just hate everyone (especially Lucero) in that short so much that I sympathize with him. Sure, he bears a lot of responsibility for his ultimate fate. But I can't help but feel he's a victim of his circumstances.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Dman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 pm Well, I personally just hate everyone (especially Lucero) in that short so much that I sympathize with him. Sure, he bears a lot of responsibility for his ultimate fate. But I can't help but feel he's a victim of his circumstances.
Again, guy tortures harmless animals. So the big mistake is she didn't court martial the guy.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Dman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:06 am
Dman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:25 pm He's lucky this isn't Discovery or else he would get eaten by tribbles and people would laugh at him for it
Is there a reason Trek fandom is fond of a guy who does cruel and inhumane animal experiments? I thought people who performed those were mostly considered dicks in RL.
Well, I personally just hate everyone (especially Lucero) in that short so much that I sympathize with him. Sure, he bears a lot of responsibility for his ultimate fate. But I can't help but feel he's a victim of his circumstances.
i have to agree with you, i don't think edwards is exempt from causing that mess but he is put in a situation that pushes him towards the choice. its like those people lose it and do something violent only to later find out that the people he attacked had been tormenting and abusing them, with no one helping that person they lashed out, there are limits to what people can take

plus non sapient animals are what many of us eat, hes just seeing if he can turn one into a food stuff. its no different than eating a lizard or a horse and they are eaten in parts of the world. just because something is cute isn't a reason to consider it as food if your starving which is what these people are dealing with. also the way lucero behaves is abysmal, my personal head cannon is she is dishonorably discharged and sentenced to scrap carbon filters
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Episode 6 is out. Now the characters' personality changed (again) because the plot said so I guess. I suppose this is what they meant by "Janeway protocol". It all makes sense now.
"Another day, another Septim"
Dman
Redshirt

Post by Dman »

Doctor Purrlaski just going off on Mariner like that (Starbase 80, damn). It's weird, like it's the first time she's ever met Mariner. The whole thing felt off.

Her kissing Shax however, felt just right.

Love how Tendi and Rutheford just go off on their own in their science adventures every episode. With evil Clippy we can cross holodeck malfunction off the list of standard ST plots.

I'm just scratching my head on Ensign Fletcher, he goes from a cool guy who's apparently a good friend with everyone, always helping them out to a total moron in a few scenes.

I honestly thought the whole "plug myself into the computer" left him brain damaged. But then Mariner and Boimler act like he's always been a screwup.

Too bad we didn't get to see what was in that old TOS era cargo. One thing I did love was Delta Shift, "evil" versions of our characters.
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

Dman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:54 am Doctor Purrlaski just going off on Mariner like that (Starbase 80, damn). It's weird, like it's the first time she's ever met Mariner. The whole thing felt off.

Her kissing Shax however, felt just right.

Love how Tendi and Rutheford just go off on their own in their science adventures every episode. With evil Clippy we can cross holodeck malfunction off the list of standard ST plots.

I'm just scratching my head on Ensign Fletcher, he goes from a cool guy who's apparently a good friend with everyone, always helping them out to a total moron in a few scenes.

I honestly thought the whole "plug myself into the computer" left him brain damaged. But then Mariner and Boimler act like he's always been a screwup.

Too bad we didn't get to see what was in that old TOS era cargo. One thing I did love was Delta Shift, "evil" versions of our characters.
In T'Ana's defense DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO CLEAN YOUR FUR OF CHEESE ?
That would explain why she jumped to threats.

I saw some people on reddit speculate that as the CMO she might be one of the few people who knew she was the captain's daughter but I guess this scene disproves that and she only knows her as "that one jerk ensign the Captain tried to get rid off and who ruined our poker night".

Fletcher was one of the weaker parts of the episode to me at least, in the first part he seemed too nice to be true so I was expecting something but in the second part he went from a natural diplomat to a screw up that couldn't do basic tasks and couldn't keep his cool.

I guess he went through the academy just making friends with his natural charm and his deficiencies were overlooked because he really does do kind things for people (he absolutely did not need to offer to do all the cores himself just so Beccket and Brad could go on their not-date)

There are people like that in RL of course not that bright but who are just friendly and good with people, it just seems to me like his character is just too disjointed into one part pre-core and one part post-core.